Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,829 times

Advertisements

This is good news. I think it's a great move by Paul since he knows he will not get any major spotlight from the GOP or McCain during the actual convention. I would be willing to bet that Paul will far exceed the 11,000 for his event. Keep it going Paul!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Ron Paul is 72, McCain is going on 72. No wonder it's known as the Grand OLD Party.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Ron Paul is 72, McCain is going on 72. No wonder it's known as the Grand OLD Party.
Does that have anything to do with the convention?

Dr. Paul is likely more educated and can articulate the economy more than you ever were or could.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Maverick GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul has booked an arena in Minneapolis for a "mini-convention" that could steal some of John McCain's thunder just days before he accepts the Republican nomination. A Paul campaign aide said the Texas congressman hopes to pack about 11,000 supporters into the Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota on Sept. 2, which coincides with the second day of the Republican National Convention at the Xcel Energy Center in neighboring St. Paul.

Paul, 72, will announce details for the rally Thursday at the start of the Texas Republican Convention in Houston.

The campaign hopes the daylong event will "send a message to the Republican Party," Paul campaign spokesman Jesse Benton tells the Tribune-Review.

"There is a growing surge of people out there just craving" for a return "to traditional American government, limited government that places personal liberty first and places an emphasis on personal responsibility and essentially gets out of the way after that," Benton said. "The buzz we get from supporters is that they are very eager to come to St. Paul and very eager to send a strong message."

McCain spokesman Jeff Sadosky declined comment. Paul has won 35 convention delegates, but was not invited to speak in St. Paul because he refuses to endorse McCain, according to his campaign.

Paul's plan to stage his own event is bad news for McCain, said G. Terry Madonna, a political scientist at Franklin & Marshall College.

"Conventions are about demonstrating unity and purpose and showcasing the nominee. They are media events made for prime-time TV. Any distraction from the central message of the convention is not helpful," Madonna said.

McCain clinched the nomination on March 4 after gaining enough delegates to reach the 1,191 needed to win. Although Paul conceded in March he'd lost his bid for the White House, he's maintained a scaled-down campaign.

Paul, a Green Tree native, surprised most of the political establishment by raising about $35 million, mostly via the Internet. Paul's Libertarian-leaning views created a following across a broad political spectrum.

Paul did not win any primaries or caucuses, but continued to pick up significant votes in key states such as New Mexico and Pennsylvania even after McCain had clinched the nomination.

Jerry Shuster, a political communications expert at the University of Pittsburgh, said Paul's timing for the event is likely to put him in a media spotlight during at least one day of the convention.

Paul's forum probably won't be aimed at hurting the GOP, Shuster said.

"He never seemed to be an open opponent of the Republican Party, but more about what the Republicans need to get back to," Shuster said. "This is a golden opportunity for him to do that. The media is all going to be there so it's just a matter of going down the block to see him.

"You know he's going to get his 15 minutes on national news."

David Brown can be reached at dbrown@tribweb.com or 412-380-5614.
Source:
Ron Paul plans his own convention - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
My brother is a Ron Paul supporter and said he felt cheated that McCain was the presumptive nominee before he even got a chance to vote. There are lots of Ron Paul supporters here in Orlando, we shall see what happens.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Does that have anything to do with the convention?

Dr. Paul is likely more educated and can articulate the economy more than you ever were or could.
Considering I'm not running for POTUS, that's even less relevant than my comment.

Paul, for all the talk and all the hype, will undoubtedly eventually throw the full weight of his support behind McCain.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
Quote:
Considering I'm not running for POTUS, that's even less relevant than my comment.

Paul, for all the talk and all the hype, will undoubtedly eventually throw the full weight of his support behind McCain.
As Dr. Paul has already stated numerous times, he will not, unless McCain makes some serious adjustments to his political positions. They are actually polar opposites of the GOP spectrum. Ron Paul representing the old: What the GOP once was and McCain: What the GOP has become.

Also, food for thought to your earlier comment. Ron Paul looks healthy and definitely appears more coherent, full of life, and genuine than McCain has ever been, imho. When people speak of age, experience and the interrelation, Paul is the only person that comes to my mind. Take a look before creating an opinion and tell us your thoughts...

YouTube - Ron Paul Blasts Chairman of Federal Reserve on National T.V

YouTube - Ron Paul Lectures Bernanke: U.S. Moving Towards Fascism

YouTube - Ron Paul 0wnz the Federal Reserve

YouTube - RON PAUL QUITS... <-- not really but a good montage of his public appearances and his msg.

YouTube - RON PAUL WINNING!!! <-- more montage

YouTube - Ron paul says McCain is McSame, not FISCAL conservative

YouTube - Ron Paul Slams Republican Warmongers last but not least as he blasts McCain and Romney

Last edited by tekka-maki; 06-11-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:

Yes, Obama is nothing about hype

McCain is a closet lib. You really don't have a clue about Ron Paul's congressional record for going against the establishment, do you? With all due respect, you sir are an empty suit blind party backer who likens the presidential race to the super bowl.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 AM

You know what's funny though ViewFromThePeak... a lot of Paul backers (inc. my myself and a lot of independents and libertarians I know some which are highly respected/accomplished members of the community) are [partially] pulling for Barack this year, if only because he's the only one that has stated publicly he will facilitate investigation into Bush crimes... and we very well know that there's no chance in hell McCain or Clinton would do this... now, will Obama do it is another question. I think we have too many bold face lying politicians in this country and it's a pity when my vote must go to a gamble on which will lie the least. A sorry state of affairs in this country.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 06-11-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
Quote:

You don't know jack about squat if you really believe Ron Paul will support McCain. Seriously.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM

What the hell... I was THREAD JACKED! Is Pittsburgh not a different place from Minneapolis? Let's just lump every somewhat similar story together from earlier months. Even CityData is trying to keep the doc down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections