Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times

Advertisements

I apologize, and maybe I'm just out of the loop but,
Who is Senator McCain's base?

I can't figure out from day to day who the base of his support is and which folks he has solidly behind him. Evangelicals are waffling, conservatives are non-existant, Independents are just watching....

Can someone tell me who his core base is or is it still in flux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
As I stated previously he is still needing to define himself. He did not have a long primary fight for that to happen. So far I have seen him defining himself as:

Not George Bush
Not Barack Obama

I have seen interviewers get frustrated because when they ask him about what his policies are and what he would do he talks more about being independent of Bush and how Obama is weak on the subject being discussed. Obama is a liberal and he has said base. McCaincalls himself an independent maverick and he needs to be careful because that might remind my generation of a cowboy with that name.

He is trying to appeal to everyone who might not like Obama regardless of their fundamental political beliefs. His supporters are often not much better. I was watching a segment on CNBC last night regarding the candidates economic policies. Surprisingly the independent wall street guy ended up being very pro Obama. The Obama supporter talked about and defended what Obama wanted to do. The McCain supporter who looked like he could be McCains father was not as succinct to me and spent more time bad mouthing Obama as a tax and spend liberal without really talking about McCain.

It is hard to have a base when you are busy defining yourself as who you aren't instead of who you are!

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

I can't figure out from day to day who the base of his support is and which folks he has solidly behind him. Evangelicals are waffling, conservatives are non-existant, Independents are just watching....

the 25% that still support bush. the ones willing to compromise because obama scares them more. other than that, who knows.

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Still in flux.

For all intents and purposes he hasn't made a move yet.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 AM

I have found obama's base. I see them wondering the streets of downtown wilmington, blank look on their faces, begging for change.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 AM

Well that 25% number is kinda scary for him, considering 25% of the voters were still pulling the lever for candidates other than him and he had been the presumed nominee for months.

This shaping up to be one ugly loss.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:

Those petrified at the thought of an Obama presidency.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have found obama's base. I see them wondering the streets of downtown wilmington, blank look on their faces, begging for change.
What does this have to do with the Topic. Please start a new Thread.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM

540 posts, read 962,850 times
I'm not sure what "group" is McCain's base, but I consider myself a McCain fan that was hoping him and Lieberman would start a third party when it didn't look like he had a chance at the nomination. Maybe my demographic is his base. 30 year old white male with some college that has earned his way out of what is technically middle class. Former military with extensive foreign travel, married with one kid, grew up out west, lives out east.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Well that 25% number is kinda scary for him, considering 25% of the voters were still pulling the lever for candidates other than him and he had been the presumed nominee for months.

This shaping up to be one ugly loss.
I still think mccain is going to crush him. obama is EXTREME on some issues. I don't think it's going to play well in mainstream america. however, polls mean nothing. only the final result matters, and I am not all that convinced that isn't tainted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections