Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

I guess his strategy was that he had a good amount of independents on his side so he would focus on obtaining the more hardcore wings of the Republican party. But personally, I don't think it was a good strategy. He's alienated at least half of his independent followers and it's made him look like G W Bush term 3, and it's a perception that will not be easy to shake off a lot of people's heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Is this a solid core however? Senator Obama has overwhelmingly shown that the more he campaigns and shows up, the more support he gains. This is just reality backed by the math.

Doesn't that leave an opportunity (which is all anyone ever needs) for Senator Obama to engage and possibly convince or at least assuage some of those voters concerns? I believe it does.
I disagree. As time goes on he seems to be losing steam. Why was Hillary winning states at the end?

How is it backed by the math? I'm not sure what numbers you are talking about. I'll be glad to concede you the point if you let me know where to look for this info.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Most conservatives will get behind McCain, considering the alternative.

He will pull a LOT of independents as well.

The disaffected, disenchanted, disillusioned of the democrat party will find comfort in McCain.

The conservative, blue-dog Reagan Dems - they can vote for McCain.

Republicans will also get behind him.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM

Well for one thing, he's (Obama) still getting a lot of funding for his campaign...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Most conservatives will get behind McCain, considering the alternative.

He will pull a LOT of independents as well.

The disaffected, disenchanted, disillusioned of the democrat party will find comfort in McCain.

The conservative, blue-dog Reagan Dems - they can vote for McCain.

Republicans will also get behind him.
A lot of people just might not vote. I mean is McCain really a candidate that's gonna make you wanna get up out of your seat and vote. Not really. I see a lot of people just sitting this election out. I don't know who this helps more (people not voting), McCain or Obama, but I would guess Obama.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM

509 posts, read 691,634 times
Independents were McCains base before he started running so far to the right.
Now who knows?
I think to find the base he is going after we will have to know who his VP will be. I suspect he will be pushed by the far right to select Romney.

My hope is he rejects the forces. For me who he chooses as VP will heavily weigh in on wether if I will vote for him.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Obama is such a likable guy, I don't think anyone hates him, except maybe some disgruntled Hillary supporters and outright racists.

McCain's base is largely attributable to the unknown quantities attached to Obama and, perhaps even more so, fears that if the democrats gain too large of a majority they will implement policies that are even more suicidal for domestic US economy than those of the Bush Administration.

McCain is a known quantity and he is less radical than Bush in pushing a selfish policy.

Sure, Obama will probably receive an overwhelming percentage of the young vote, but there are enough AARP-type voters that still remember the malaise of the 1970s and attach that feeling to the democrats' method of mismanagement, and they have done nothing in past elections to dispel those notions with their nominees, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry.

Will Obama be in that tradition? Why risk it? That is McCain's base, at least in good measure.

Obama has to vow during the election campaign that he will not support any radical fiscal agenda, that he would even fight against a democratic majority in Congress in support of a moderate agenda.

Does anyone see him doing that? Would a critical plurality of swing voters believe him?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A lot of people just might not vote. I mean is McCain really a candidate that's gonna make you wanna get up out of your seat and vote. Not really. I see a lot of people just sitting this election out. I don't know who this helps more (people not voting), McCain or Obama, but I would guess Obama.
And this is so, so sad. To live in the freest country in the world, to have the opportunity to vote, to make a choice, whether one is on the winning side or not, is just pitiful. But with all the aggrandizement, all the pontifications, all the nay-sayers across the board, I suppose it's no wonder the numbers of voters has been falling steadily for any number of years. And, yet, it's those who DON'T vote who complain, whine, and moan the most. At least from my perspective.

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I apologize, and maybe I'm just out of the loop but,
Who is Senator McCain's base?

I can't figure out from day to day who the base of his support is and which folks he has solidly behind him. Evangelicals are waffling, conservatives are non-existant, Independents are just watching....

Can someone tell me who his core base is or is it still in flux?
McCain's base will be the nitwits who still believe:

(a) that Saddam Hussein was involved with 9/11;

(b) that WMD's are still in Iraq;

(c) that there's a war on "Merry Christmas"; and

(d) that Barack Obama is a stealth Muslim.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
To live in the freest country in the world
Yeah, right.

Maybe for gun ownership (yes, I'm a handgun owner), but very unfriendly towards business and actually inferior in terms of civil liberties.

We give too many people this "opportunity" to vote. This isn't a democracy. It's a constitutional republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections