Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Obama 36 52.17%
McCain 33 47.83%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:43 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,983 times

Advertisements

Obama or McCain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 02:45 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Not to nitpick, but it's a shame the general public is presented options with preordained conclusions. The media declares "It's down to two!" and ignores the fact that Ron Paul hasn't yet conceded, that Ralph Nader is running, and perhaps a score of other parties have determined their candidates.

When the media does the same thing as this poll and asks "Which of these two do you want to vote for?", I see it as a psychological tool to divide and conquer. All other options are to be ignored. I find this tragic in this the "freest" country in the world. This bias is hammered down through the media and only the two-headed party monster gets all the attention. When did this two-headed monster determine all the rules? I thought WE THE PEOPLE were supposed to.

It's not that a third party or minor party candidate will never win, it's that no one truly stands up for the truth: everyone on the ballot is equal until the election is over. Isn't that the democratic (American) way of doing things?

I'm voting for Ralph Nader because he's the only one I know of NOT lying to get votes, and not working on behalf of elite special interests. He has a history of standing up for the little guy and though his message is unsettling to many, the truth is better handled when it's not delayed or sugar-coated.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Obama or McCain?
neither. Either Bob Barr or Ron Paul. As i remember, there aren't only Democrat or Republican parties on Virginia ballots.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
OMG, you neithers need to stop whining and say you will vote for a 3rd party candidate because that is just silly, it doesn't send any message except for that you wasted your vote.

You conservatives who dont like McCain would like to give Obama the election? He is the anti-conservative who should NEVER be in the white house, and you guys who kind of dont like McCain will just give the man the election. You should be smarter than that. Pick the lesser of the two evils or else the ultimate evil will become the president.

MCCAIN FOR THE WIN!!!! (wish it was Romney though)

Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
OMG, you neithers need to stop whining and say you will vote for a 3rd party candidate because that is just silly, it doesn't send any message except for that you wasted your vote.
it sends a message of dissatisfaction with the two party system, which is exactly the point. The average election should have a handful of choices, not two.

The 'lesser of two evils' crap is exactly what keeps us in a two party system. Ive voted third party previously, and if there was a third party candidate who I supported, I would vote for them this year as well.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

You conservatives who dont like McCain would like to give Obama the election? He is the anti-conservative who should NEVER be in the white house, and you guys who kind of dont like McCain will just give the man the election. You should be smarter than that. Pick the lesser of the two evils or else the ultimate evil will become the president.

MCCAIN FOR THE WIN!!!! (wish it was Romney though)
Agreed to your entire post!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Agreed to your entire post!!!!!!!!!!
We need to remember that people who voted for the third party's in 2000 ended up giving the election to Bush, whom most of them really disliked (since Nader hates Bush, thus the voter hates Bush). I know you have hard feelings, but choose one of the ones who will actually win. Think of who you absolutely wouldn't want in the white house, and vote against that. Last time voters tried to make a point, it blew up in their faces. Learn from the Democrat's mistake in 2000 and dont do it again.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Obama or McCain?
My vote wasnt that accurate, because I'm a undecided voter. So I voted based off of rather I had to vote right now this minute.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,108 times
I think that people need to re-evaluate what their party is doing if a razor thin margin of 2-3% points as claimed by Nader is what ultimately cost Gore his downfall.

I supported Gore, but I didnt point the finger at Nader as the spoiler candidate.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
My vote wasnt that accurate, because I'm a undecided voter. So I voted based off of rather I had to vote right now this minute.
Well, the democratic party seemed to forget Michigan. Its a wonder why anyone from Michigan is still part of that party after witholding their votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections