Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 AM

3 posts, read 21,510 times

Advertisements

Obviously, Obama wouldn't be where he is today--the Democratic Presidential nominee--if it wasn't for tremendous white support. And although he'll likely be the next President, what I want to know is how do whites really feel about him?

From my experience, whites, while not racist, are certainly race conscious--and in the case of blacks, easily stereotype them as poor, uneducated, inarticulate, crime prone, etc, until the black person proves themselves to be otherwise.

When faced with educated, affluent, and "articulate" blacks, I think most whites are dumbfounded, shocked, and in awe--as it's easy to buy into stereotypes and classify minorities rather than realize them as individuals.

So my question is, how do whites really feel about Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 AM

39 posts, read 137,024 times
I think he's great. But I'm not sure if he'll get my vote... perhaps a little too liberal for my taste.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collegiate View Post
Obviously, Obama wouldn't be where he is today--the Democratic Presidential nominee--if it wasn't for tremendous white support. And although he'll likely be the next President, what I want to know is how do whites really feel about him?

From my experience, whites, while not racist, are certainly race conscious--and in the case of blacks, easily stereotype them as poor, uneducated, inarticulate, crime prone, etc, until the black person proves themselves to be otherwise.

When faced with educated, affluent, and "articulate" blacks, I think most whites are dumbfounded, shocked, and in awe--as it's easy to buy into stereotypes and classify minorities rather than realize them as individuals.

Interesting, so you think white people are astounded when a black person is intelligent? How ridiculous is that? Who cares what race they are? I'm actually astounded when ANYONE is remotely intelligent. Again, who cares what race our new president is, as long as he's better than what we've been dealing w/for 8 years, than he gets my vote. Actually, I really wish Hil would've been nominated, but that's another story. Race has nothing to do w/intelligence, talent, charisma, etc. & if people are actually voting based on that??? Well, that does say a lot about the voting public, now doesn't it?

Old 06-21-2008, 03:52 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:

I will admit, outside of reading books by a few black writers that made me realize that they were truly smart, I didn't think a black person was smart enough for politics. It was too easy to buy into the stereotype. I began listening to the news this year and to black news commentators and realized that there were some smart ones out there, and then I began listening to Obama. Well, he impressed me a lot, and so I am voting for him. It is just not his intelligence, but his vision, what he wants to do for America. It is the entire package. We may never see anyone like him ever again.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:12 AM

252 posts, read 390,748 times
Quote:

#1 Your assumptions are Wrong...

Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:

Here we go again. I, and the other whites of my acquaintance, aren't concerned with Obama's race. We're concerned by his ties to people who hate whites; we're concerned that he came from a reputedly corrupt Chicago political "machine"; we're concerned that he personally has some very expensive-sounding liberal ideas; last but not least, we're concerned that when someone threatens his chances for votes, he tends to throw that someone under the bus. Frankly, I was unhappy with Hillary for pretty much the same reasons.

I've said this before: People are ALLOWED not to like, or support, someone of another color, based on that person's expressed ideas and values, and it isn't racism. I'm sure there ARE white people out there who take one look at Obama and say "I'm not voting for a _______", and that's asinine and backward, but there are also plenty of blacks and guilty-feeling white liberals who will vote for him BECAUSE he's black, which is silly. But to assume that any white person who doesn't want to vote for Obama feels that way because they're racist, is extremely bigoted. You're possibly thinking "Surely we've moved beyond that", and for the most part, you'd be right. There will probably always be racism on one side or another, but it doesn't infect positively EVERYONE.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I will admit, outside of reading books by a few black writers that made me realize that they were truly smart, I didn't think a black person was smart enough for politics. It was too easy to buy into the stereotype. I began listening to the news this year and to black news commentators and realized that there were some smart ones out there, and then I began listening to Obama. Well, he impressed me a lot, and so I am voting for him. It is just not his intelligence, but his vision, what he wants to do for America. It is the entire package. We may never see anyone like him ever again.

You didn't think a black person was smart enough for politics? My God! Unbelievable. What about Colin Powell? Condi Rice? Obama is the total package for sure, but make no mistake about this. There are an enormous number of black people in this country who are just as intelligent, articulate, dignified, and versatile.

Kudos to you for supporting him.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:

Excellent question!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:25 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Who cares?

Obama has bad ideas, he is a liar, has questionable associations, very little experience, and flip flops continuously. He could be black, white, red, yellow, or green, doesn't matter, he simply is not fit to be president of the USA.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
I am a 56 year old white male who believed that in my lifetime, I'd be living in a world where the color of one's skin made no difference. Having seen and heard the comments during this campaign, I realize that this will not happen in my lifetime. The comment above is so shockingly wrong that it defies commentary.

How do I feel about Obama? I feel fine, thank you ... and intend to vote for him in November.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections