Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor or oppose the Obama plan to override the people's voice on gay marriage?
I OPPOSE the Obama plan! Let voters, NOT liberal judges decide on gay marriage! 53 60.23%
I support the Obama plan. Judges should make up laws as they go, the voters don't know better. 27 30.68%
I am not sure / don't know / other (state below). 8 9.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
Michelle Obama: Obama will fight for gay marriage and anti-free speech in re homosexuality.

That is not how the Obama camp has sugar coated the whole thing. They are saying Obama will fight for "gay equality" and end their suffering.

But in the end, it will mean two things:

1. Nationalize gay marriage. Override the will of voters and force gay marriage.

2. Appoint judges who will create laws allowing gay marriage and overturning the will of voters. Examples: Mass-a-Chew-Sits and California judges have over-rulled the rights of voter and JUDGES, NOT ELECTED OFFICIALS OR THE PEOPLE create gay marriage in these states.

3. Pass federal legislation making it a CRIME to say inside a church that homosexuality is a sin. Nancy Pelosi tried that, with her sugar coated, "Anti-Hate Crimes" bill, which Bush vetoed.

Here is the highly liberal and very pro-Obama article, from Yahoo news: Obama's wife says he'll fight for gay equality - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Isn't it nicely packaged? Sounds wonderful.... equality.... wonderful terms and loving support for the Obama plan to override the rights of the people.
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_on_el_pr/michelle_obama - broken link)
There should NEVER be a vote on someone's rights ! The Bill of Rights was written to protect the minority against the tyranny of the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Ha. This thread was started in 2008. It was an empty threat then, and it's an empty threat now.

I have to pity the Obama-haters. They have made empty threats and accusations their sole reason for living over the past three years.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
The problem I have with this issue is this: If a court can overturn the opinion of the people (as voted on, not some straw poll) in this case, it can overturn the people's opinions on anything. Right or wrong, those opinions have been made clear. When we decide that certain opinions aren't valid, and that the court should at its own discretion overrule decisions already made not by it or another court, but by popular vote, we're setting a dangerous precedent.
Brown v. Board of Education says "Hi".

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM

49 posts, read 37,909 times
What I don't understand is that Obummers and his kind want to promote a nanny state that restricts our rights to chose to do things that may hurt us (smoking, fast foods, etc), but wants to allow the government to promote homosexual unions when the homosexual lifestyle has been proven to be more unhealthy than heterosexual lifestyles.

Maybe Barry secretly hates homosexuals!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
Michelle Obama: Obama will fight for gay marriage and anti-free speech in re homosexuality.

That is not how the Obama camp has sugar coated the whole thing. They are saying Obama will fight for "gay equality" and end their suffering.

But in the end, it will mean two things:

1. Nationalize gay marriage. Override the will of voters and force gay marriage.

2. Appoint judges who will create laws allowing gay marriage and overturning the will of voters. Examples: Mass-a-Chew-Sits and California judges have over-rulled the rights of voter and JUDGES, NOT ELECTED OFFICIALS OR THE PEOPLE create gay marriage in these states.

3. Pass federal legislation making it a CRIME to say inside a church that homosexuality is a sin. Nancy Pelosi tried that, with her sugar coated, "Anti-Hate Crimes" bill, which Bush vetoed.

Here is the highly liberal and very pro-Obama article, from Yahoo news: Obama's wife says he'll fight for gay equality - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Isn't it nicely packaged? Sounds wonderful.... equality.... wonderful terms and loving support for the Obama plan to override the rights of the people.
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_on_el_pr/michelle_obama - broken link)
I find this to be very interesting, he has always said he is not for gay marriage.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I will state this as simply as possible:

I am in favor of legalized same-sex marriage. I am for marriage EQUALITY.

I am in favor of civil rights for all LGBT people. I am not in favor of prejudice, discrimination, or bigotry.

It is proper and fitting that the courts should protect the civil rights of minorities; this should never be put up to a popular vote.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM

How would you like it if voters could decide whether you could marry or not ?

The Bill of Rights was created to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. No one should vote on another human
beings rights.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyronnie View Post
What I don't understand is that Obummers and his kind want to promote a nanny state that restricts our rights to chose to do things that may hurt us (smoking, fast foods, etc), but wants to allow the government to promote homosexual unions when the homosexual lifestyle has been proven to be more unhealthy than heterosexual lifestyles.

Maybe Barry secretly hates homosexuals!!!
State facts and your sources, please.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM

No one should EVER vote on someone elses rights !

Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
No one should EVER vote on someone elses rights !
True.

Emancipating the slaves was never put up to a popular vote. Civil rights laws were never put up to a popular vote. The repeal of Jim Crow Laws was not by popular vote. Brown Vs. The Board Of Education was not decided by popular vote.

I stand with all Americans for fair treatment, equal protection, equal rights ... with liberty and justice for all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections