Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,553,036 times

Advertisements

Good stuff.

Max Bergmann: The Week That Should Have Ended McCain's Presidential Hopes - Politics on The Huffington Post

Quote:
The Week That Should Have Ended McCain's Presidential Hopes

This is the week that should have effectively ended John McCain's efforts to become the next president of the United States. But you wouldn't know it if you watched any of the mainstream media outlets or followed political reporting in the major newspapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,994,539 times
Quote:
1. McCain unambiguously called Social Security "an absolute disgrace." This is not a quote taken out of context. John McCain called one of the most successful and popular government programs, which uses the tax revenues of current workers to support retirement benefits for the elderly "an absolute disgrace."
The Social Security program IS a discrace. The funds for it that should have been saved and wisely invested over the years were completely squandered, the money coming into the system is hardly enough to support it, and the long term unfundable obligations are in the TRILLIONS of dollars.

I love how the author calls it "one of the most successful and popular" programs....I wonder what his measure of success is? My measure would be a self sustaining program that was flush with funds to meet its future obligations without the fear of going bankrupt. Also, the idea that its "popular" doesnt mean anything...if the government was giving out free cars to all new drivers every year, that would be "popular" but but it certainly doesnt make it essential, or sustainable.

The thing that is a discrace is that we have our salaries so highly taxed only for the government to completely waste the money, and feel no sense of accountability for doing so.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM

And the author claims that the quote isnt taken out of context, yet he doesnt give the full quote which sheds much more light on what McCain was saying.

Quote:
"Americans have got to understand that. Americans have got to understand that we are paying present-day retirees with the taxes paid by young workers in America today. And that's a disgrace. It's an absolute disgrace and it's got to be fixed."
The bolded part is saying that there is no mony "saved up" in the system, so basically everything that was paid in by the people who are ready to retire has been plundered...again, that IS a discrace that our government would do such a thing with our tax dollars that were meant to provide financial support to our older workers when they leave the work place.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,443,068 times
Gramm referring to Americans as "a nation of whiners", can you imagine the media uproar if it had been an Obama top adviser uttering those comments?

The media, despite claims from the right to the contrary, appears to be in the tank for McCain.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,740 times
Soner or later McCain is going to have to come crawling back to the United States and start getting back in the public spotlight.

Then it will be all over.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Soner or later McCain is going to have to come crawling back to the United States and start getting back in the public spotlight.

Then it will be all over.
Look, I dont profess to know everything, and I am certainly not a huge McCain fan...but trashing someone when you are unaware of the facts probably isnt so fair.

WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 - McCain campaigns in Michigan on jobs, trade

McCain thanks his troops in visit to St. Paul (http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/24402584.html?location_refer=Politically%20Connect ed%20Box:Local%20+%20Metro - broken link)

John McCain Returns to Ohio July 9th | Ohio GOP (http://www.ohiogop.org/news/articles/2008/07/john-mccain-returns-ohio-july-9th - broken link)

24 7 Interactive News: The Daily Kenoshan - Obama, McCain and Clinton to Speak at LULAC Convention

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Well I think manyin the world look at americans as whiners. To hear alot of people you would thnik that we live in a third world country and only get one bowl of rice a day.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Look, I dont profess to know everything, and I am certainly not a huge McCain fan...but trashing someone when you are unaware of the facts probably isnt so fair.

WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 - McCain campaigns in Michigan on jobs, trade

McCain thanks his troops in visit to St. Paul (http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/24402584.html?location_refer=Politically%20Connect ed%20Box:Local%20+%20Metro - broken link)

John McCain Returns to Ohio July 9th | Ohio GOP (http://www.ohiogop.org/news/articles/2008/07/john-mccain-returns-ohio-july-9th - broken link)

24 7 Interactive News: The Daily Kenoshan - Obama, McCain and Clinton to Speak at LULAC Convention (http://dailykenoshan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6058&Ite mid=1 - broken link)

Wow so he is back, huh. I guess from the lack of news discussion about him I thought he was still travelling abroad.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,756,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Gramm referring to Americans as "a nation of whiners", can you imagine the media uproar if it had been an Obama top adviser uttering those comments?

The media, despite claims from the right to the contrary, appears to be in the tank for McCain.
There is no doubt about that!! Everything Obama does is scrutinized by the media but they give McCain a free pass.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:37 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,086,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well I think manyin the world look at americans as whiners. To hear alot of people you would thnik that we live in a third world country and only get one bowl of rice a day.

what? How many do you get a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections