Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 05:32 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusseinMoore View Post
That's still not the answer to my question. You've provided five race riots by picking and choosing five riots from a list called LIST OF RACE RIOTS. Why do you refuse to answer my question?
That "whites don't riot" statement can't be proven as whites around the world have participated in riots and protests over the years. All the back and forth is pretty useless.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:34 PM

231 posts, read 157,155 times
I agree, but Chef here says that blacks riot and whites do not. I just want to understand where he's getting this idea from. Even Strom Thurmond wouldn't have said something THAT stupid.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
I agree, but Chef here says that blacks riot and whites do not. I just want to understand where he's getting this idea from. Even Strom Thurmond wouldn't have said something THAT stupid.
No he's actually right.

Blacks riot; whites protest.

Black people break in stores so they can steal; white people break in stores in search of food.

It's all in perception.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
All are broad racist generalizations...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:03 PM

231 posts, read 157,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No he's actually right.

Blacks riot; whites protest.

Black people break in stores so they can steal; white people break in stores in search of food.

It's all in perception.
Black people are thugs, white people are...Mafioso.

Hey, I'm starting to catch on!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:05 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
Quote:
I think some people are kinda hoping we riot so that they can say "see! I told you we weren't ready for one of them to be president!"

I do agree with you on a couple of generations having to die off before we get completely past race. For younger kids (9-13) race just isn't that big a deal. My little brother and his friends look like an ad for the Rainbow Coalition. It wasn't until I moved away from home that I starting having friend's of other nationalities.

But my son's class at daycare is predominantly white and my son frequently sleeps over at his classmates homes and two of them have stayed the night with me. For them friendship knows no color, I'm hoping it stays like that. Although I know I'll pass out if he brings anything other than a black girl home in 13 years (I know that's wrong, but I'm being honest). I'll probably pass out and then when I come to, say "okay, now who is your mama?" and invite them to dinner.
Your key statement "Friendships have no color" is phenomenal.

My son is 12 years old. He is into skateboarding, playing the guitar and listening to rock music currently. He has a good range of music that he had been exposed to, so he does not have a particular venue that he likes more than the other. He just currently seems to be into rock and has formed a neighborhood band with a few of his friends. It is delighting and I am very moved by his interactions with people of many races, but I have made sure this has happened for him. My Mom and Dad did it for me, so I know that it provided a well-rounded world for me and I am very grateful that my Dad was aware of what he needed to do by his children to ensure that they fully understood that their world did not just consist of black people. This is why I tell many of the single mothers I work with to make sure their children are in diverse neighborhoods and schools, I know it has made a huge difference for me and it provided some of the greatest educational experiences for me as well.

Currently my son has white, and biracial friends. None of them are black at this time in his life and rarely have ever been. He has had hispanic, asian, black, white, and other biracial friends before, but they have never been predominantly black. They too all spend the night with one another and it is lovely to see their relationships blossom for now while they are young.

I grew up in a diverse neighborhood as well and went to diverse schools and had primarily black friends, but white as well. The schools I attended all my life were predominantly white and I will ensure that my son gets the better quality of education that he rightfully deserves as a citizen of the United States. My daughter always sought out the minority (black race) no matter where she attended school or what neighborhood we lived in and vows that she will never be as diverse as my son and I. She teases us about our blackness, but right now she is just into her blackness and that is cool with me. I like the diversity of both of my children and hope that they both find a happy median with both dominant races one day.

I have always formed close relationships with white women in school and at work, yet they do not last because something we adamantly disagree on happens as in many relationships. They have lasted anywhere from 3-5 years, but usually something happens if we are no longer working or going to school with one another. The connection is not there and I am to busy with my new venture, so the communication tends to lessen more and more each year. I am also the one usually moving on to something bigger and this is when the change of behavior is usually noticed. This applies to both black and white girlfriends/associates. I guess they were not authentic friends if we no longer have a relationship . I certainly believe that we can have many friendships throughout our lifetime and I have had many.

Well my son has been informed that I prefer a black woman to be his significant other when he marries and while dating. I have educated him about the struggles that he may likely have to endure if he chooses a white woman as his lifetime partner. I also speak to the children they may have and what they will experience. I have had enough biracial friends who have shared their stories and they have had a tremendous amount of difficulty forming an identity, which is hard for most youth to develop without the added pressure of two races. I will have to be honest and admit that I would not embrace his choice if were to be a white woman, but I would continue to love him. He already has been made aware of my reasons not to support his choice if it were a white woman and I will continue to teach what I believe is best for him as my child.

He knows he will have to attend an HBCU for his undergraduate degree (a culture shock lesson-indeed-but he will survive). He currently is attending a small church that is predominantly black, I will have him doing volunteer/community services in black neighborhoods this year and until he graduates from high school, he has books that speak to black history and once a week we do a history lesson together identifying a black person that is successful and making a difference in our communities or throughout the country. I try to do as many cultural activities that I can with him to provide a balance for him and to make certain that he understands the past and current history of his own race, being that he does go to school and live in a neighborhood where he is the minority. He is very well-rounded and I love how he embraces everyone-he at times sends chills down my spine with his outlook pertaining to all races. The women love him in our neighborhood-and they are from biracial and white races. They love his friendly and respectful disposition.

On the other hand my honor roll, honor society, valedictorian in a predominant caucasian school, currently graduated from college daughter is so pro-black she gets on my nerves- but she is the other joy in my life as well. She definitely does not embrace the subculture of her black race, but she is sincerely an advocate for blacks that have done the work that is required for them to be successful. She embraces the elderly of all races and all young children who are struggling no matter what race they may be. She is actively involved with many charities, and community organizations. She is finding her own balance, but she can get beside herself sometimes with her pro-black only antics. She inherited many of these behaviors from her mother, some being learned behaviors and some are not. I want my daughter to learn how to embrace other females from other races, which are her same age-which has been difficult for her to do. She has always been active with most social justice and human rights organizations/associations, and political ones as well. She does not embrace the white female her own age (22) yet she likes most of them who are older-well different strokes for different folks. Not sure if this is good or bad for her, but I would like to see her have at least one friend that is a female that is not black. She can always be an advocate for her people, but she must not limit herself in her friendships or network relationships.

Each one of my children have many of my similarities including their father (I should not leave him out), so I have well-rounded children who are a reflection of both their mother and father.

These younger generations will not be like those from the past, they have a different way of making sure that their voices will be heard and they will do it gently-in a non-violent manner. It will be peaceful and at least this time we will not have to worry about being sprayed down or having the dogs present who will be let loose to attack us at any given moment. These generations know that some of the past practices were detrimental-meaning that they did not always bring about the desired results or changes for the betterment of our people nor our communities.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Black people are thugs, white people are...Mafioso.

Hey, I'm starting to catch on!

Wow your helping out tremendously....JJ is looking for people for the cause.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Your key statement "Friendships have no color" is phenomenal.

My son is 12 years old. He is into skateboarding, playing the guitar and listening to rock music currently. He has a good range of music that he had been exposed to, so he does not have a particular venue that he likes more than the other. He just currently seems to be into rock and has formed a neighborhood band with a few of his friends. It is delighting and I am very moved by his interactions with people of many races, but I have made sure this has happened for him. My Mom and Dad did it for me, so I know that it provided a well-rounded world for me and I am very grateful that my Dad was aware of what he needed to do by his children to ensure that they fully understood that their world did not just consist of black people. This is why I tell many of the single mothers I work with to make sure their children are in diverse neighborhoods and schools, I know it has made a huge difference for me and it provided some of the greatest educational experiences for me as well.

Currently my son has white, and biracial friends. None of them are black at this time in his life and rarely have ever been. He has had hispanic, asian, black, white, and other biracial friends before, but they have never been predominantly black. They too all spend the night with one another and it is lovely to see their relationships blossom for now while they are young.

I grew up in a diverse neighborhood as well and went to diverse schools and had primarily black friends, but white as well. The schools I attended all my life were predominantly white and I will ensure that my son gets the better quality of education that he rightfully deserves as a citizen of the United States. My daughter always sought out the minority (black race) no matter where she attended school or what neighborhood we lived in and vows that she will never be as diverse as my son and I. She teases us about our blackness, but right now she is just into her blackness and that is cool with me. I like the diversity of both of my children and hope that they both find a happy median with both dominant races one day.

I have always formed close relationships with white women in school and at work, yet they do not last because something we adamantly disagree on happens as in many relationships. They have lasted anywhere from 3-5 years, but usually something happens if we are no longer working or going to school with one another. The connection is not there and I am to busy with my new venture, so the communication tends to lessen more and more each year. I am also the one usually moving on to something bigger and this is when the change of behavior is usually noticed. This applies to both black and white girlfriends/associates. I guess they were not authentic friends if we no longer have a relationship . I certainly believe that we can have many friendships throughout our lifetime and I have had many.

Well my son has been informed that I prefer a black woman to be his significant other when he marries and while dating. I have educated him about the struggles that he may likely have to endure if he chooses a white woman as his lifetime partner. I also speak to the children they may have and what they will experience. I have had enough biracial friends who have shared their stories and they have had a tremendous amount of difficulty forming an identity, which is hard for most youth to develop without the added pressure of two races. I will have to be honest and admit that I would not embrace his choice if were to be a white woman, but I would continue to love him. He already has been made aware of my reasons not to support his choice if it were a white woman and I will continue to teach what I believe is best for him as my child.

He knows he will have to attend an HBCU for his undergraduate degree (a culture shock lesson-indeed-but he will survive). He currently is attending a small church that is predominantly black, I will have him doing volunteer/community services in black neighborhoods this year and until he graduates from high school, he has books that speak to black history and once a week we do a history lesson together identifying a black person that is successful and making a difference in our communities or throughout the country. I try to do as many cultural activities that I can with him to provide a balance for him and to make certain that he understands the past and current history of his own race, being that he does go to school and live in a neighborhood where he is the minority. He is very well-rounded and I love how he embraces everyone-he at times sends chills down my spine with his outlook pertaining to all races. The women love him in our neighborhood-and they are from biracial and white races. They love his friendly and respectful disposition.

On the other hand my honor roll, honor society, valedictorian in a predominant caucasian school, currently graduated from college daughter is so pro-black she gets on my nerves- but she is the other joy in my life as well. She definitely does not embrace the subculture of her black race, but she is sincerely an advocate for blacks that have done the work that is required for them to be successful. She embraces the elderly of all races and all young children who are struggling no matter what race they may be. She is actively involved with many charities, and community organizations. She is finding her own balance, but she can get beside herself sometimes with her pro-black only antics. She inherited many of these behaviors from her mother, some being learned behaviors and some are not. I want my daughter to learn how to embrace other females from other races, which are her same age-which has been difficult for her to do. She has always been active with most social justice and human rights organizations/associations, and political ones as well. She does not embrace the white female her own age (22) yet she likes most of them who are older-well different strokes for different folks. Not sure if this is good or bad for her, but I would like to see her have at least one friend that is a female that is not black. She can always be an advocate for her people, but she must not limit herself in her friendships or network relationships.

Each one of my children have many of my similarities including their father (I should not leave him out), so I have well-rounded children who are a reflection of both their mother and father.

These younger generations will not be like those from the past, they have a different way of making sure that their voices will be heard and they will do it gently-in a non-violent manner. It will be peaceful and at least this time we will not have to worry about being sprayed down or having the dogs present who will be let loose to attack us at any given moment. These generations know that some of the past practices were detrimental-meaning that they did not always bring about the desired results or changes for the betterment of our people nor our communities.

A genus just being themselves.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
She has always been active with most social justice and human rights organizations/associations, and political ones as well. She does not embrace the white female her own age (22) yet she likes most of them who are older-well different strokes for different folks. Not sure if this is good or bad for her, but I would like to see her have at least one friend that is a female that is not black.
She will as she gets older. Most of my inner circle is black with the exception of my best friend, a white girl from AR I can't get rid of she was my roomie at Bethune. But I just don't get along with white women my age. I have older white friends, mostly from work or extracurricular activities but they're all a good 5 years older than me. I used to think it was because white girls are silly, but I've realized that since I'm already a parent and 100% on my own I just have more in common with a 30-year-old mother who works full time than I do with a 23-year-old who shares an apartment with 3 other girls and has pizza hut on the speed dial

Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
She will as she gets older. Most of my inner circle is black with the exception of my best friend, a white girl from AR I can't get rid of she was my roomie at Bethune. But I just don't get along with white women my age. I have older white friends, mostly from work or extracurricular activities but they're all a good 5 years older than me. I used to think it was because white girls are silly, but I've realized that since I'm already a parent and 100% on my own I just have more in common with a 30-year-old mother who works full time than I do with a 23-year-old who shares an apartment with 3 other girls and has pizza hut on the speed dial
Broad generalizations anyone? Some could construed that as racism.

I think it's safe to say that racism is present on many different sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections