Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

WhooEEE! I sure got those repubs all emotional over the FACT that they

AGREE with Obama's SUGGESTION to check tire pressure for better

gas mileage !!

Or was it the questions about their preference for bigger government ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
the next Congress and new Democratic President
I missed the election? Damn. I hate it when that happens. My calendar still says "August".

The Dem's sense of entitlement to the POTUS position will lose it for them this year, just like it did four years ago. It was theirs to lose then, and they chose the most unelectable candidate they could have. This year, it was a race between two people who have built-in electability handicaps, and the less electable person won the race.

Don't assume anything about who's going to win in November. If it's such a shoe-in, why is it so close in the polls? I even just heard that McCain has taken a slight lead. If you really want Obama to win, stop assuming he's going to, get out there, pound the pavement and make it happen. This election is not over, and frankly, I think that despite all the hoopla surrounding Obama, he's not nearly electable as he is likable.

Personally, I think that those who see him as the messiah who will deliver us from the "evil" of the last 8 years are in for a rather rude awakening in November.

Edit: Oops! That was rather off-topic... Apologies!

On topic - The suggestions are good ones, and they have been for 30 years. It's laughable that he's getting so much attention for them BECAUSE we all already knew them, and because his suggestion that maintaining tire pressure and extracting our oil from our country would have the same result is.. well... laughable.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:28 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Question It's laughable

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
On topic - The suggestions are good ones, and they have been for 30 years. It's laughable that he's getting so much attention for them BECAUSE we all already knew them, and because his suggestion that maintaining tire pressure and extracting our oil from our country would have the same result is.. well... laughable.
What is sad (you find it funny) is the information has been largely ignored. If it takes a high profile politician to provide the "joke", then so be it. I've worked in shops, and what everyone knows, and what everyone does, fills a large gap. Thankfully the constant press and pressure from the energy mess and our politicians, is getting many more folks on board.

~I can't count how many folks I've shown the tire pressure label in the door, on the door or in the gas fill door.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Its about time we had leadership with regard to our out of control energy consumption in this country. We consume more than China and India and a bunch of other countries put together and that is ridiculous. Bush provided absolutely no leadership whatsoever on energy issues, and this is what we have to show for it. Meanwhile, places like Brazil have gone almost totally energy independent after planning ahead. Energy independence is patriotic and would be a huge benefit in maintaining our shrinking global power.

We have just waisted 8 years. Do we really want to continue the same policies or do we want to do all the little things that add up to energy independence, from all cars on the road being hybrids getting 45 miles to the gallon (why not?! the technology is already here and just needs to be subsidized to save the entire country big bucks a few short years down the road??!) to public service campaigns aimed at lowering consumption to increasing our wind and solar energy infrastructure to increasing natural gas production.

I for one am sick of being at the mercy of OPEC and these theocratic/authoritarian middle eastern regimes for our energy. Remember, old McCain has been in the senate for 3 decades, he's had his chance and has not shown any innovation in solving or addressing our energy problems.
Twenty In Ten: Strengthening America's Energy Security (http://www.whitehouse.gov/stateoftheunion/2007/initiatives/energy.html - broken link)

Bush doesn't just have total control you know. things are voted on and passed in other sections of the government.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

gas mileage !!

I guess you missed it..We Test the Tips (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/106842/article.html - broken link)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Sure it works. Will people be disciplined enough to do it? Some will, however it is NOT a panacea, nor wil it reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Sure it works. Will people be disciplined enough to do it? Some will, however it is NOT a panacea, nor wil it reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
True. IMO, drilling in ANWR or offshore will do little to reduce dependence on foreign oil, and it will take years to get to market. That oil may well be sold to other nations, no one knows. I see this drilling happening someday, but only as part of a coherent and comprehensive national plan that prioritizes where our tax money goes and how we PLAN to become energy independent. To date, we've never had a National Energy Policy, just a collection of tax breaks and earmarks put in place by our congress, where all virtue is for sale and anything goes if you bring enough money.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
The problem is that republicans hate any kind of idea that would require them to change their habits or sacrifice even a little bit-- even if it's only checking their tires. They see it as "Anti-American" to take any initiative themselves.

If the same jokers were around in the 40s they would have laughed off and joked about victory gardens, as well as food, gas and clothing rationing. Shared sacrifice runs completely counter to the conservative mind nowadays.

Last edited by brattpowered; 08-05-2008 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

gas mileage !!

Can some one provide states for Obamas claim that don't suggest that NO ONE has properly inflated tires.

I think it is you lack of understanding on the subject.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
All Obama was saying is that the government has nothing to offer to lower gas prices. In fact, Congress is trying to add another ten cents to the price of gas. We're driving less and that means fewer gas taxes going into the coffers.

Idea of gas-tax holiday dies quick death - Capitol Hill - MSNBC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections