Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times

Advertisements

can't use fear to gain office anymore? repeat that, and tell it to moveon.org.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That's election death to insist on a religious principle especially since McCain doesn't believe in banning abortion. McCain is finding that it is impossible to be a Republican & yet attract voters [can not use fear\ intolerance to gain office anymore].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Does the "Religious Right" include the Catholic Church? I suppose you can view the change in position as pandering to the Religous Right. Or maybe he has decided to stop pandering to radical feminists and their ilk.
You mean, he had an epiphany, and it's just too private to share? Uh, no. He's paying James Dobson.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Many happen to agree with Mccain that the decision belongs with the individual states. I do.

There are many who consider the SCOTUS decision to be bad law. They basically just pulled it out of their a**es.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Many happen to agree with Mccain that the decision belongs with the individual states. I do.

There are many who consider the SCOTUS decision to be bad law. They basically just pulled it out of their a**es.
It results from the current interpretation of the 14th Amendment. So is the legality of contraceptives and "the privacy of your own home." Isnt it a waste of time for each state to fight over this language? It already exists.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Who's "many", you, the right wing religious freaks, and the Fox News contributors? Anyway this isn't about abortion, it's about McCain's flip flop on the issue.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You mean, he had an epiphany, and it's just too private to share? Uh, no. He's paying James Dobson.
Your right & that's a high price to pay a man who only a few months ago claimed he'd never vote for McCain. Dobson is like the man you pay your dues to in order to get the blessing of Dobson's mullah kin.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Does the "Religious Right" include the Catholic Church? I suppose you can view the change in position as pandering to the Religous Right. Or maybe he has decided to stop pandering to radical feminists and their ilk.
It is not only "Radical Feminists" who are for abortion rights. The majority of Americans support some form of abortion rights.

Abortion

Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
James Dobson may be of the Right. But he doesn't represent the "Religious Right." He's a psychologist, not a minister. As a psychologist he specializes in family issues. He doesn't have a ministry, any more than Dr. Joy Brown, the radio psychologist, has a ministry

Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Who's "many", you, the right wing religious freaks, and the Fox News contributors? Anyway this isn't about abortion, it's about McCain's flip flop on the issue.
How about Lawrence Tribe, the eminent (and very liberal) legal scholar and professor at Harvard?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM

658 posts, read 831,443 times
Quote:
"rare"?
Rarity is a myth. There are almost as many children killed in the USA as there are born, every year.

Quote:
This discriminates against poor women and girls.
If you are trying to say that taking away the right to kill another person is wrong, well golly I guess your argument is contradictory to the hypocratic oath which states "I will not assist a woman to procure an abortion." Further, girls do not have the right to kill anyone, especially outside of the knowledge of their parents.

Quote:
Why doesnt he say something more along the lines of what Obama says - work toward decent education, encourage parental involvement with their children, volunteer work... unifying our nation, not keeping it divided and encouraging division and estrangement (oh yeah, school vouchers he's for, too).
From a position of weakness and poverty, education solves only money and things to think about, not values. Values is what is missing when a woman chooses to kill someone so their own lives are not interrupted any further. Unification will only come from people's hearts, and no amount of education or government entitlements will change that. Knowledge is not wisdom.

Quote:
He is cravenly pandering to the Religious Right, in exchange for the horrid Dr. Dobson's reluctant, sullen endorsement which I dont think he's even received officially yet (correct if wrong please). And the worst part is, it's a flip-flop! He knows the reality and yet he barges on ahead after those votes like a pig after slops.
If you want to play politics, go play with another one of your liking. I don't play politics, and McCain's name was not in my post.

Quote:
It's not purple prose to say that he's exchanging women's and girls' lives for whatever votes he might get out of this.
What about the women's lives who are silently killed in the name of choice? You will never know. And that is the best part for selfish women... they will never have to know who they killed. The baby just goes away...

Feminism never ceases to amuse me. End of subthread.

Last edited by jamesandveybe; 08-07-2008 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections