Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
-----------------
"Rove and the GOP aren't blind to the polls reporting OVER 60% of Americans favor legal abortion"

The GOP base is that 40% that base is big enough to carry Mccain . He MUST hold on to the base.

No GOP Pres candidate has won being pro choice but they certainly have won being anti .

Obama has lost Hillary supporters and wants them back .
Mccain has lost many Christian conservatives and wants them back both need that bunch.

I think Mccains game plan now is to win over the base and go with smear to defeat Obama because history has shows that it can work .

I imagine Both men would love to tell the bunch they are trying to win back to go #### themselves but they need them lol.
You nailed it; that's their game plan, "get the base," then smear and lie until its over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,735 times
Quote:
Rove and the GOP aren't blind to the polls reporting OVER 60% of Americans favor legal abortion"

The GOP base is that 40% that base is big enough to carry Mccain . He MUST hold on to the base.

No GOP Pres candidate has won being pro choice but they certainly have won being anti .

Mccain has lost many Christian conservatives and wants them back both need that bunch.

I think Mccains game plan now is to win over the base and go with smear to defeat Obama because history has shows that it can work .

I imagine Both men would love to tell the bunch they are trying to win back to go #### themselves but they need them lol.
Totally agree

Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You nailed it; that's their game plan, "get the base," then smear and lie until its over.
lol. Why do some dems confuse the word "smear" with "telling the truthful facts?"

Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
In order to win because neither can win without their base Mccain must bow and kiss the hand of the relegious Neocon right .

He must bow to them this is why so many have left the GOP party .
McCain has to bow & kiss but it is not the hand of Dobson that he must kiss Dobson is dangerous & anything but Christian [a true Republican bigot of the worst kind

Old 08-07-2008, 07:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Who's "many", you, the right wing religious freaks, and the Fox News contributors?
Roe v. Wade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Legal criticisms by liberal scholarsLiberal and feminist legal scholars have had various reactions to Roe. One reaction has been to argue that Justice Blackmun reached the correct result but went about it the wrong way.[24] Another reaction has been to argue that the ends achieved by Roe do not justify the means.[25]

William Saletan has written that "Blackmun’s [Supreme Court] papers vindicate every indictment of Roe: invention, overreach, arbitrariness, textual indifference."[26] In a 1973 article in the Yale Law Journal, Professor John Hart Ely criticized Roe as a decision which "is not constitutional law and gives almost no sense of an obligation to try to be."[27] Ely added: "What is frightening about Roe is that this super-protected right is not inferable from the language of the Constitution, the framers’ thinking respecting the specific problem in issue, any general value derivable from the provisions they included, or the nation’s governmental structure."

Similarly, Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe has noted that, "One of the most curious things about Roe is that, behind its own verbal smokescreen, the substantive judgment on which it rests is nowhere to be found."[28] Watergate prosecutor Archibald Cox wrote: "[Roe’s] failure to confront the issue in principled terms leaves the opinion to read like a set of hospital rules and regulations.... Neither historian, nor layman, nor lawyer will be persuaded that all the prescriptions of Justice Blackmun are part of the Constitution."[29]

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has criticized the Court's ruling in Roe v. Wade for terminating a nascent democratic movement to liberalize abortion law.[30] Likewise, legal affairs editor Jeffrey Rosen[31] and Michael Kinsley[32] say that a democratic movement would have been the correct way to build a more durable consensus in support of abortion rights.

Legal analyst Benjamin Wittes has written that Roe "disenfranchised millions of conservatives on an issue about which they care deeply".[33] Edward Lazarus, a former Blackmun clerk who "loved Roe’s author like a grandfather" wrote: "As a matter of constitutional interpretation and judicial method, Roe borders on the indefensible....Justice Blackmun’s opinion provides essentially no reasoning in support of its holding. And in the almost 30 years since Roe’s announcement, no one has produced a convincing defense of Roe on its own terms."[34] Liberal law professors Alan Dershowitz,[35] Cass Sunstein,[36] and Kermit Roosevelt[37] have also expressed disappointment with Roe.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
this abortion debate is so tired... if you're christian.. don't get one... if you want one.. pay for it yourself... don't make things illegal because you think jesus told you how things should be... live and let live

Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
this abortion debate is so tired... if you're christian.. don't get one... if you want one.. pay for it yourself... don't make things illegal because you think jesus told you how things should be... live and let live

Its tiresome to us but not the the Christian conservative camp .

They have 2 main issues anything anti gay and no abortion.

Their is a place in Florida called Land O lakes.
A teacher was fired while back for practicing "Magic, Witchcraft" .
Much of the town supports the Principal .

Thats the type of voting block Mccain needs to mobolize lol.

Actually let me add a 3rd issue for Christian conservatives - Ban magic tricks lol.

GOP has to get their vote .

Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 AM

571 posts, read 853,312 times
Quote:
-----------------
"Rove and the GOP aren't blind to the polls reporting OVER 60% of Americans favor legal abortion"

I agree with majority what you said McCain is flipfloping to get some republican base as seen in the republican primarys. While Obama is pandering to Clinton supporters.

However McCains game plan now is to attack and attack right now use that media attention against him. He did #@$@ up with the paris hilton ad. He needs to be careful he is known to say stupid **** and do stupid **** i going to remind you of the "well if im like bush then Obama is like jimmy carter" which just made him look really old and well short tempered. and the i dont know #$@$ about the economy but i take all my advise from my dear friend and my economic adviser. the adviser then tells america to suck it up. after which he is admittedly fired.

Obama main problem is to make sure Clinton is happy and stays off the ticket and well if he gets down to the economy issue and tries to win the Energy issue. He needs to make sure the Media coverage doesnt backfire on him

Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,404 times
If the majority of American want adults to have a choice to kill off life for convenience why not just address through the legislative process? It should be easy.

Why make a charade out of the issue and state that our forefathers wanted a mother to be able to kill her child when they developed the Bill of Rights?

Rhetorical questions to be sure.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Its tiresome to us but not the the Christian conservative camp .

They have 2 main issues anything anti gay and no abortion.

Their is a place in Florida called Land O lakes.
A teacher was fired while back for practicing "Magic, Witchcraft" .
Much of the town supports the Principal .

Thats the type of voting block Mccain needs to mobolize lol.

Actually let me add a 3rd issue for Christian conservatives - Ban magic tricks lol.

GOP has to get their vote .
The GOP had their vote in 2000 and 2004 - they're trying now to remobilize it. The base is still there, milling around, bleating nervously; they're just not bunched up and trotting along as faithfully as they did before. Not yet anyway.

But the right noise machine is working on them ... it's throwing out every possible topic, nontopic and lie that might possibly stick. In the words of one of the rightwing posters on this forum, "Whatever works!" Unlike Obama, who seems to want to run a relatively civil campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections