Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

With all the votes that Clinton received, this move is really the only "fair" thing to do.

Do you think that once she takes the stage she will release her delegates?

Could Hillary and Bill be planning something different than Barack has in mind?

Will there ever truly be "peace in the kingdom?"
Unfortunately, the Democratic party is not worthy of Barack Obama. This move is an example of why Republicans have had their way with the Dems the last 8 years. Quite pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
I wonder if this request would have been fulfilled if the roles were reversed.....

Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Unfortunately, the Democratic party is not worthy of Barack Obama.
Funny. That's just what McCain's celebrity ad was poking fun at. People who support the man rather than the message and platform.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Her die hard camp like GeorgiaDem who posts here will never vote for Obama .

That's the bunch that snivel . They have a right to but Obama shouldnt waste time with them.

I leaned for Hillary over Obama due to experience but even before it was over was in the Obama camp .

Thanks for speaking for me, but try to get your facts right.
I am not a die hard Hillary supporter.
I am a citizen that gets to vote for who I choose,
not for who is picked for me.
I have never liked nor trusted Obama, and I will not vote for Obama just because that is the will of the DNC.
If you want to, then do it, but don't try and guilt me into it. I was a good little dem and voted for Al Gore and then I was a good little dem and voted for John Kerry.
Well, this time, I say no.
It amazes me at how many folks on here think their vote is their vote, but my vote does not belong to me.
Vote for Obama, but back off telling me who I need to vote for.
I own my vote.com~~~~~~

Old 08-14-2008, 05:58 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Clinton addressed any of her backers who are considering voting for Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.,: "I strongly urge you to reconsider."
Of Obama, she said, "I know that he'll work for you. He'll fight for you, and he'll stand up for you every single day in the White House," Clinton said, calling Obama "a leader who invests in our future."

I didnt know this, did you?: The town of Unity, NH, where they'll hold their first joint campaign rally, "was symbolically chosen by the Obama campaign for the event because of its name and because 107 residents voted for Obama and 107 voted for Clinton during the primaries."

Old 08-14-2008, 06:04 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
I wonder if this request would have been fulfilled if the roles were reversed.....

I think it would have been. The race was to tight and historical for this to have not been the outcome either way. Had Hillary won we would be at the same point and the same direction.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Hillary Clinton is a stubborn *****.....
Way to go to promote "peace in the kingdom."

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Hmmm, guess this officially takes Hillary off the short list for VP. You can't run for both!
I don't believe that Hillary would have taken VP if she had been asked. She's setting herself up for a run in 2012 if 2008 doesn't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
According to First Read this was a joint decision and both sides are happy with the outcome. Also it is likely that Clinton will release her delegates to vote for Obama after her name is submitted.

Sounds like a good move all around. My only question is, with this now off the table,..what will those disenchanted Clinton supporters snivel about next?
Of course it was a joint decision. Obama realizes that he has no choice but to have this happen. You can't honestly think that they sat together in the back rooms and Barack said, "Ya know, Hill, I've been thinking. You really did get most of the popular vote. I think that it would only be fair if your name was put into nomination and we allow the American voters decide. I just want to be fair."

What will they snivel about? Probably the fact that the POTUS stinks and Hillary would have done better.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Do they do this during every convention (put the names of the winner and runner up into nomination)?
Yes. Although Carter was president, he was not given an automatic renomination and did not have the minimum number of delegates in 1980, so it was he against Ted Kennedy. Mondale did have the required number of delegates in 1984, but Gary Hart and Jesse Jackson's (and other) names were still on the ballot.

In 1988, Dukakis was the presumptive nominee, but Jesse Jackson and others were still on the ballot.

In 1992, Clinton was the presumptive nominee, but Jerry Brown and Paul Tsongas were still on the ballot.

1996 was different because Clinton was unanimously nominated and unchallenged by other Democrat Party members.

Having Hillary's name on the ballot is the right thing, and in keeping with the Democrat Party's Charter, and is quite democratic.

And yes, it only takes any combination of 112 super-delegates or Edward's 21 delegates to defect and Obama doesn't get nominated on the first round.

The fact that Hillary is being nominated doesn't necessarily mean something's up, but the fact that she hasn't fully conceded and that neither her nor Billary are stumping for Obama might mean that they're very close to getting their 112 defecting delegates.

It's also probably why she has rejected VP offers. A show of force is one way for her to get what she wants, whatever that might be. Perhaps Secretary of State, so she can wallup Obama in 2012.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes. Although Carter was president, he was not given an automatic renomination and did not have the minimum number of delegates in 1980, so it was he against Ted Kennedy. Mondale did have the required number of delegates in 1984, but Gary Hart and Jesse Jackson's (and other) names were still on the ballot.

In 1988, Dukakis was the presumptive nominee, but Jesse Jackson and others were still on the ballot.

In 1992, Clinton was the presumptive nominee, but Jerry Brown and Paul Tsongas were still on the ballot.

1996 was different because Clinton was unanimously nominated and unchallenged by other Democrat Party members.

Having Hillary's name on the ballot is the right thing, and in keeping with the Democrat Party's Charter, and is quite democratic.

And yes, it only takes any combination of 112 super-delegates or Edward's 21 delegates to defect and Obama doesn't get nominated on the first round.

The fact that Hillary is being nominated doesn't necessarily mean something's up, but the fact that she hasn't fully conceded and that neither her nor Billary are stumping for Obama might mean that they're very close to getting their 112 defecting delegates.

It's also probably why she has rejected VP offers. A show of force is one way for her to get what she wants, whatever that might be. Perhaps Secretary of State, so she can wallup Obama in 2012.
Summary data for Hillary Clinton | OpenSecrets

Wow oh wow what a campaign she will run with no money and no organization. Do you really think Obama will give her his money and his people?
Or will she run on a shoe box campaign and just take the Lewinsky hits etc?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
none of us are worthy of barack obama, a junior senator. wait, actually, obama isn't worthy of my toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Unfortunately, the Democratic party is not worthy of Barack Obama. This move is an example of why Republicans have had their way with the Dems the last 8 years. Quite pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections