Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times

Advertisements

What part of the separation of State and Federal powers do you nincompoops not understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
"The Illinois Senate convenes at the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois. Its first official working day is the second Wednesday of January each year. Its primary duties are to pass bills into law, approve the state budget, confirm appointments to state departments and agencies, act on federal constitutional amendments and propose constitutional amendments for Illinois. It also has the power to override gubernatorial vetoes through a three-fifths majority vote. The Illinois Senate tries impeachments made by the House of Representatives, and can convict impeached officers by a two-thirds vote."
Illinois Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Obama was elected to the Illinois Senate in 1996, succeeding State Senator Alice Palmer as Senator from the 13th District, which then spanned Chicago South Side neighborhoods from Hyde Park-KenwoodSouth Shore south to and west to Chicago Lawn"
Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way he threw Palmer under the bus along with many of the other people that helped him get to where he is.

"But then came the Chicago Combine: bipartisan corruption you could believe in. Rezko established a typical Chicago 'pay for play' scheme, but one that crossed party lines. You want to build a hospital, you had to pay Rezko, who paid the appropriate people who could help you play. The problem that Rezko faced was the hospital board had fifteen members and that is a lot of people to bribe and a lot of loose ends. But then Rezko had a friend who chaired the Illinois Senate's Health and Human Services Committee.
Enter State Senator Barack Obama, who is credited as the moving force behind a piece of bipartisan legislation (Il. Senate Bill 1332) that reduced the hospital board to nine people, to be appointed by Governor Rod Blagojevich (know as Governor 'Blago') with advice and consent of the Illinois Senate."
Rezko, Obama, and Chicago Corruption by Abraham H. Miller

To think your wonderful senator is anything but just like the others is a horrible mistake. You can keep him if you like him so much.

Corruption doesn't follow rules. IL is as corrupt as they get.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
I think it's clear that we're talking in circles. As much as I hate to walk away from a discussion, it's obvious that we're getting nowhere.

Facts are facts and fudge is fudge. We'll see how it all shakes out in November.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Absolutely. Because he is. And he surrounds himself with corrupt people. Don't think that by attacking another candidate you somehow let your guy off the hook. The difference, in this case, is that you see Obama as offering suspected or potential corruption based on where he is from. Bush has ushered in an era of real and unabashed corruption. Suspicion vs reality.
I'm not saying everyone in IL......just everyone running your gov. or close to everyone. If the more than half the bunch is corrupt then you can include all of them.

Bush isn't running again so why would you want to replace one "corrupt" government with another...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I think it's clear that we're talking in circles. As much as I hate to walk away from a discussion, it's obvious that we're getting nowhere.

Facts are facts and fudge is fudge. We'll see how it all shakes out in November.
well good luck to you.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
To think your wonderful senator is anything but just like the others is a horrible mistake. You can keep him if you like him so much.
Now that's the best idea I've heard all day!!! Particularly as everyone awaits their text message from Obama as if it's word from the Messiah himself.

Keep dragging it out, Barack ... everyone is waiting breathlessly.

Well .... except for me.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Has anyone mentioned how HIGH Illinois property taxes are? Illinois citizens pay one of the highest property taxes in the nation...

food for thought!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,885 times
He hates businesses to grow, he wants to over tax them and take their profits away, thus why so many businesses have left his own state.

If he is such an economic genius then why did he still owe college loans into his 40's and why did he have to borrow 300k on his house when he has made 7 million dollars in the last 3 years alone.[/quote]

I don't understand why you even started this post - you don't know anything about IL. You said you live in a beach town.

Obama "hates business to grow"? Um, right. That is one of your best statements yet!

As for student loans, sorry to inform you, but unfortunately it is very normal to have student loan debt into your 40s. Especially when you went to not one but TWO extremely high ranking schools.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:47 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,086 times
LOL!

I haven't lived in IL in 20 years but when I did they had a crappy economy then. I suppose Obama was responsible for that too though? Hilarious!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Has anyone mentioned how HIGH Illinois property taxes are? Illinois citizens pay one of the highest property taxes in the nation...

food for thought!
We pay the 7th highest property taxes in the US, after new jersey, new hampshire (a traditionally red state), Connecticut, new york, and Massachusetts.

So yes, IL is in the top ten, but there are quite a few states before US in property tax rates.

Source

Illinois ranks 14 in overall tax burden

source

Things are not as dismal here as certain people would like to suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections