Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 PM

286 posts, read 804,788 times

Advertisements

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of 'the redistribution of wealth.'

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his..

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?' She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, 'That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!'

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the Republican party.'

Last edited by SouthernBoi; 08-22-2008 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: grammical errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Lol, good one!

Now if the Republicans would just go back to being fiscal conservatives instead of this neocon spending spree, I would be a little happier.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
That republican party no longer exists. What they do now is give that girl's point to a student that has a 4.5 GPA whether she wants them to or not. Dems give it to the poor and Repubs give it to the rich, the middle class gets to pay for it all.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Excellent! And so true. Rep to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Lol, good one!

Now if the Republicans would just go back to being fiscal conservatives instead of this neocon spending spree, I would be a little happier.
I agree...along with a few other positions that they were founded upon

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
It's the 800th time it's been posted...

A young woman was about to finish her first year of business. Like so many eighties babies, she was self-focused and she considered herself to be a conservative Republican, and was very much in favor of the ownership of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather liberal Democrat, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an irresponsible, idealistic desire to level the playing fields among competitive businesses. In her heart she knew that hard work would be rewarded in a capitalist society.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to corporate welfare and the reduction of social services.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors at Regents University had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how her business was doing.

Taken aback, she answered rather indignantly that she had adhered to all the ordinances, restrictions and bylaws. But the competition, being much larger and influential, had skirted the ordinances, and even received tax rebates during years when they had paid no taxes.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing at her job at CorporoCo?"

She replied, "Audrey is making money hand over fist. She has expense accounts, a company car, vacation perks and bonuses. She works less than I do. All because her dad the Senator helped CorporoCo get a multi-million government contract for a 'feasibility study'."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to your favorite Republican Congressman, and see if he'll help you get a no-bid contract for something that even the government doesn't want or need?"

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That would be an egregious waste of taxpayer money - MY money!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, " Welcome to the Democratic party."

Old 08-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
That republican party no longer exists. What they do now is give that girl's point to a student that has a 4.5 GPA whether she wants them to or not. Dems give it to the poor and Repubs give it to the rich, the middle class gets to pay for it all.
I agree

Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's the 800th time it's been posted...

A young woman was about to finish her first year of business. Like so many eighties babies, she was self-focused and she considered herself to be a conservative Republican, and was very much in favor of the ownership of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather liberal Democrat, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an irresponsible, idealistic desire to level the playing fields among competitive businesses. In her heart she knew that hard work would be rewarded in a capitalist society.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to corporate welfare and the reduction of social services.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors at Regents University had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how her business was doing.

Taken aback, she answered rather indignantly that she had adhered to all the ordinances, restrictions and bylaws. But the competition, being much larger and influential, had skirted the ordinances, and even received tax rebates during years when they had paid no taxes.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing at her job at CorporoCo?"

She replied, "Audrey is making money hand over fist. She has expense accounts, a company car, vacation perks and bonuses. She works less than I do. All because her dad the Senator helped CorporoCo get a multi-million government contract for a 'feasibility study'."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to your favorite Republican Congressman, and see if he'll help you get a no-bid contract for something that even the government doesn't want or need?"

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That would be an egregious waste of taxpayer money - MY money!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, " Welcome to the Democratic party."
Like the Republican Party in mine, this party no longer truely exists either, these ideals are from a time (if there ever was a such thing) when the government was by the people for the people.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I think this would be funnier if Democrats didn't consistently line their pockets with lobbyist money the same way Republicans do.

The same way Republicans are willing to dole out welfare to farmers for not growing crops in order to gain votes.

The sooner the public realizes each are two faces of the same coin, the sooner we can recoup our damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections