Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,751 times

Advertisements

Why do old men who had made fortunes not want to retire and enjoy the rest of their life?

If you have all the money you'll ever need for the rest of your life, what's better? Power? More money?

As you come towards the end of your life, does leaving a footprint in the world become a high priority?

McCain's reason to be president: "I want to inspire a generation of Americans to serve a cause greater than their self-interest."

Can someone explain to me what McCain means? How is he going to inspire me? What does he mean "serve a cause greater than their self interest"? He doesn't want to send me to Iran or Russia does he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
LOL, I've often wondered the same thing. Runnning for POTUS is about the last thing I would ever want to do.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Who wouldn't want to be President? That's huge power -real changes .

Putting aside the power the ability to make changes for the better (depending on who you ask) is great.

I can't fathom not wanting to be Pres.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
I don't know if it has anything to do with being old or rich. Clinton wasn't rich. JFK wasn't old. Obama is not rich or old. Jimmy Carter wasn't rich or old. Reagan wasn't rich or old.
Jesse Jackson wasn't rich or old. They must all have something in common, but old and rich doesn't follow.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
For some it seems they genuinely want to make a difference, I get that feeling with Clinton: JFK was before my time but it seemed to be a mixture of power and money, possibly fame....

In McCain's case it seems to be an ego thing, I don't get the sense he actually cares about humanity. JMO.

One thing for sure, a person would need a huge ego and thick skin to run, alot of people don't think it's worth it.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
For some it seems they genuinely want to make a difference, I get that feeling with Clinton: JFK was before my time but it seemed to be a mixture of power and money, possibly fame....

In McCain's case it seems to be an ego thing, I don't get the sense he actually cares about humanity. JMO.

One thing for sure, a person would need a huge ego and thick skin to run, alot of people don't think it's worth it.
Barry is about as thin skinned as they come. Guess that's why he's falling in the polls like a lead baloon. You really do need a thick skin...and the ability to answer a question without a prompt.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Why do old men who had made fortunes not want to retire and enjoy the rest of their life?

If you have all the money you'll ever need for the rest of your life, what's better? Power? More money?

As you come towards the end of your life, does leaving a footprint in the world become a high priority?

McCain's reason to be president: "I want to inspire a generation of Americans to serve a cause greater than their self-interest."

Can someone explain to me what McCain means? How is he going to inspire me? What does he mean "serve a cause greater than their self interest"? He doesn't want to send me to Iran or Russia does he?
You need to think about his words. He's making an appeal for service, and demonstrating his willingness to serve. So is Senator Obama. Your post implies that you are laregly self-referential. Senators McCain and Obama are both asking you to be less so...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I don't know if it has anything to do with being old or rich. Clinton wasn't rich. JFK wasn't old. Obama is not rich or old. Jimmy Carter wasn't rich or old. Reagan wasn't rich or old.
Jesse Jackson wasn't rich or old. They must all have something in common, but old and rich doesn't follow.
Well I'm not stating that all presidents are rich and old. I'm simply asking why they would want to be president. Wasn't it George Washington who said old rich men ought to retire and let the young energetic men to serve their country?

And it's not just the white house -- any significant position of power. Donald Rumsfeld struck me as an old rich man who tried to make his footprint in the world by acquiring power and implementing his policies.

If I was rich and wanted to leave a foot print in the world, I'd go the path of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Default age

I dont fully get your question? How does age come into play? Age & color does it matter that much? Will anybody get into the voting booth and say nah he's to old, or nah obama is black?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
McCain and his wife are on an ego trip and enjoy the power and prestiage... they certainly don't need more money. They want to go down in history... some people are a little too self important. I think it is a sickness myself... the emptier you are inside the more you need from the outside... they crave the attention. Just my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections