Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 AM

472 posts, read 872,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Since Alaska derives almost all its income from polluting gas and oil, she promoted that, as expected. She offered no solutions to problems nor did she attribute them to the cause, the current Republican administration's terrible policies (which McCain't supported).

Agreed... I thought she gave a great speech last night... a good pep rally speech, to rally the troops. With GOP faithfuls it connected... as it was intended. But with anyone outside the Convention Hall... what did she say about the economy.... about the war... about the deficit..... about health care. Hockey Mom doesn't resonate with someone working two jobs.

Her speech was designed to get her elected... not to address the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 AM

645 posts, read 909,878 times
Default Where was the substance?

Why didn't she mention the middle class in the speech? Why didn't she mention Afghanistan? No talk about Osama Bin Laden...

She left many holes in that speech. Lets face it, she is inexperienced. She just got her passport last year!

She did well reading from the teleprompter, of course that is what her degree is in.
All the Repugnicians are trying to jump on her bandwagon, but many are only doing so just to tow the party line. They don't like her, they wanted MITT!!! Real slap in the face to him.

To quote the great Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

In McSame's interview with Charlie Gibson when asked if she was qualified he must have blinked a hundred times. He looked so old and drawn. Cindy needs to have the Plastic Surgeon make a house call.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post

Her speech was designed to get her elected... not to address the issues.
Obama's horrific stadium spectacle was designed to get him elected, to make him look strong.....not to address the issues. Palin, by being genuine last night, totally deflated Obama's stadium speech and made Obama look even more arrogant and inexperienced.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
I can't bring myself to watch it and I'm only 5 minutes into the speech (which is more like 1 and a half minutes, as most of the "plus" part of your "40 minute-plus" speech is mindless applause). Her voice is obnoxious, maybe I'll read a transcript if I find one.

I'm sure it was mostly filled with slander, lies and emotion pandering.

Always good to look at things objectionably huh?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Obama's horrific stadium spectacle was designed to get him elected, to make him look strong.....not to address the issues.
You obviously didn't watch his speech because he was VERY specific about the issues.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post

In McSame's interview with Charlie Gibson when asked if she was qualified he must have blinked a hundred times. He looked so old and drawn. Cindy needs to have the Plastic Surgeon make a house call.
In the Denver convention, Michelle Obama's butt looked so big. Maybe Barack needs to have a dietician make a house call.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Very impressed with her speech! She is a strong woman! The Obama camapaign is running scared.
You know, Ive been watching a lot of the responses on various platforms and I would have to agree with you. The comments and reactions that are overly negative are severely lacking in a way similar to a person who was just destroyed in a debate and can only come back with pointless weak comments that lack any sort of substance. I found the first response by the Obama campaign right after the speech to be telling. Of all the things they could have responded, they went with "hate Bush", if you go with them, you will get another Bush. It is sad though, you can see how stupid and hateful people are going to get in the future. Hollywood is upset and scared by her and have already started with the comments. The news showed P-diddy making comments and all I can say is that guy needs to understand that Popular != intelligent. Seriously, rap and entertain, after that, keep your mouth shut because you are too stupid to speak Mr. Diddy.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Really, I could barely stomach it the first time. Now that the curiosity has worn off...meh

Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
similar to a person who was just destroyed in a debate and can only come back with pointless weak comments that lack any sort of substance
Oh, kind of like her comments about Obama last night in her speech. Instead of giving a detailed outline on her positions regarding actual issues she took the mudslinging route instead.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wow, just wow. Change your words slightly and you have described Obama.
See the minor changes below.

He has a very cute facade and homey delivery, but I think it's the cultivated community organizer persona that has served him well in the past. I think she's an opportunist and some of the things I hear about that he did, such as having a 20 year realtionship with a racist mentor, makes him look like he has a lack of judgment and decidedly unAmerican.
Way to go off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
I'm not voting for McCain, but I'll give credit where it's due. That was a great, rousing, energetic speech. She put the media in its place, she focused on the importance of integrity and leadership, and she jammed the "inexperience" complaint right down Obama's throat. You don't have to agree with her views to appreciate a great speech.
Yes. I didn't agree with most of her words, but she said them well. (Of course, this is probably the friendliest crowd she will have.)
I thought the small-town hockey mom schtick was a bit overdone. How many times did she say "PTA," "small town" or "hockey mom"?
She had a snarky edge which I suppose some people interpret as ballsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections