Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,545 times

Advertisements

Excellent answer to the GOP...thanks for the link to the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 03:20 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Keep trying. Obama has never met a controversial position he wasn't brave enough to not take a stand on.
I'll take that as a no.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Does the US constitution and it's bill of rights apply to foreign citizens?

I would argue no, but even if so, it gets worse. Obama goes on to state we should "take them out." Target them and kill them.

If the bill of rights does apply to foreign citizens, why is he suggesting we kill them without trial? Why isn't this approach used by US police departments?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The Governor from Montana said any Senate or Senator who even PROPOSED such an idea would be laughed out of office in Montana. Present is an Illinois anomaly. Not surprising...given it's the home of Chicago.
Um... Montana isn't Illinois.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post

I would argue no, but even if so, it gets worse. Obama goes on to state we should "take them out." Target them and kill them.

If the bill of rights does apply to foreign citizens, why is he suggesting we kill them without trial? Why isn't this approach used by US police departments?
How can it apply to a Foreign Citizen.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
How can it apply to a Foreign Citizen.
So foreign citizens being held in Guantanamo do not have US bill of right protections? I don't disagree. . . just wondering what Obama's thinking.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I've said no such thing, "Ashrob," so I'd appreciate if you'd stay out of this unless you have something interesting or intelligent to contribute.

And by the way, I've heard the "excuses" by Obama about his "strategic" use of "present" votes, and I don't buy it. End of story. Froma group that has bought his snake oil and kool-aid pops wholesale and by the bulk, however, it's not surprising you can take any WORMING and rationalization by Obama for being an unprincipled flip flopper phony man as gospel.
No one had to take Senator Obama's word for since there are more than enough Illinois legislator's who have and can attest to it's use, strategic function and purpose, and the intent when the vote is cast. There are so many direct quotes, that it has become quite telling and equally fascinating to watch those who do not know the purpose of the vote, and how and why it's used.

Last edited by walidm; 09-09-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
So foreign citizens being held in Guantanamo do not have US bill of right protections? I don't disagree. . . just wondering what Obama's thinking.
I can't attest to what the Senator is thinking anymore than you. Why wouldn't we treat the accused as the Bill of Rights instructs? The Bill of Rights does not use the word citizen, in fact it's never mentioned. It says person, and I believe, for a very good reason.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:21 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
No one had to take Senator Obama's word for since there are more than enough Illinois legislator's who have and can attest to it's use, strategic function and purpose, and the intent when the vote is cast. There are so many direct quotes, that it has become quite telling and equally fascinating to watch those who do not know the purpose of the vote, and how and why it's used.

And Obama was always more than happy to be the "vote present" guy, wasn't he?

WORM WORM WORM. All day long.

Rationalization is key to overcoming cognitive dissonance.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:

For all who do not know what the Bill of Rights says, here it is: (The Bill of Rights is made up of Amendments 1 through 10 to the U.S. Constitution) Note that there is no reference to citizens, rather all references are to people or person.

United States Constitution

Bill of Rights
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections