Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,513 times

Advertisements

Poll Madness: McCain Takes Lead Even As Democrats Out-Register Republicans?

"This week's mainstream coverage of the presidential horse-race has been dominated by a series of polls showing the McCain-Palin ticket with its first stable lead over Obama and Biden. Gallup's tracking poll, USA Today and CBS News all show the Republicans with some kind of lead over the Democratic ticket. But, interestingly, all three polls were also conducted using a higher sampling of Republican voters than in July, raising a question of methodology."

at the same time democrats are outregistering republicans by far. Are the polls really accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Poll Madness: McCain Takes Lead Even As Democrats Out-Register Republicans?

"This week's mainstream coverage of the presidential horse-race has been dominated by a series of polls showing the McCain-Palin ticket with its first stable lead over Obama and Biden. Gallup's tracking poll, USA Today and CBS News all show the Republicans with some kind of lead over the Democratic ticket. But, interestingly, all three polls were also conducted using a higher sampling of Republican voters than in July, raising a question of methodology."

at the same time democrats are outregistering republicans by far. Are the polls really accurate?
I don't think any of the polls are particularly accurate, I try to ignore the polls.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
They probably are accurate. Consider the source of the article. Arianna Huffington's little mag is very skewed. She will say anything to give Democrats the momentum. Too bad for the Dems that few pay attention to her.
I'm not arguing the accuracy of the report, just the way it's presented.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,011 times
dunno. I'm torn by them. I only think they are reliable if several of them over a large period of time predict one way or another. For instance. I think Obama has had a slight lead for quite a while. Time will tell if McCain will have one.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,513 times
If they are using a higher sampling of republicans, than that would explain in part McCain's lead over Obama....but I agree its about the electoral college.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,498 times
It may be that Christian fundamentalists who previously were not too excited about McCain did not bother to answer pollsters on the phone, but now that they have Palin to root for, they have come out to voice their support. But these fundies would not have voted for Obama regardless, so I don't think he really lost anything here. Don't forget too that the GOP convention came after the Dem convention, so these polls would obviously reflect the GOP bounce.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Its the Huffington Post. She is trying to hold a sinking ship up....she will get desperate. Gallup doesnt post how many Republicans vs. Democrats they poll, so any of that information she "supposedly" has is likely made up.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,685 times
There are polls with slight Republican bias. There are other polls with slight Democrat bias. Some polls oversample Republicans. Others oversample Democrats. Some oversample independents. There are polls that don't have any bias. The truth, then, will lie somewhere in the middle.

If you want to cancel out all the biases and errors from the polls, the best thing to do, then, is to take a rolling average of all polls taken, which RealClearPolitics does.

This is where the race stands:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

McCain currently is leading by 2.4% nationwide.

Subject to change on a day-to-day basis, of course.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
If they are using a higher sampling of republicans, than that would explain in part McCain's lead over Obama....
I believe I heard David Gerkin(sp?) suggest the same thing on AC 360 last night.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,498 times
Quote:
McCain currently is leading by 2.4% nationwide.
If that's all McCain got from his convention, then that's a rather weak bounce than usually happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections