Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM

127 posts, read 221,753 times

Advertisements

Politicians Lie, Numbers Don't

Democrats are better for the economy than Republicans

"There is no secret about any of this. The figures below are all from the annual Economic Report of the President, and the analysis is primitive. Nevertheless, what these numbers show almost beyond doubt is that Democrats are better at virtually every economic task that is important to Republicans."

Full article:

The numbers don't lie: Democrats are better for the economy than Republicans. - By Michael Kinsley - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,683 times
figures don't lie but liars do figure.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times
Republicans won't read it because they don't want to believe it. Or at least they will try to convince everyone that McCain will be the one to save us all from himself and his own party.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:57 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,023 times
1959 is a rather arbitrary date for Kinsley to pick. No, it isn't - he's always been a liberal pundit with his columns at the LA Times, so of course he's going to pick the exact year to make the Democrat party look good on these numbers alone. Also, you can't judge an economy on the exact years of an administration since the economy isn't something that is immediately affected by decisions that are made.

By those numbers, defense spending is only *slightly* higher during the Bush admin than Clinton, and we've been paying for a war while Clinton was cutting defense through both terms.

To suggest GDP/person, inflation, unemployment, and defense spending are immediately and solely affected by the party of the President in office is ridiculous - those numbers take years to be reflected by decisions that were made by an administration.

Kinsley tried to pass it off with a quantitative approach, when the study of federal economics is far more complex. Most conservatives will readily tell you that the Bush administration has completely failed in fiscal responsibility, and McCain openly blasted them for it at the RNC.

The Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) independent watchdog group is MUCH better at pointing out exactly who has policies that relate to taxes and government waste. Reading a blog by a liberal columnist (attempting to appear unbiased with Slate.com) and thinking it's fact.. that's for the those incapable of thinking on their own.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
"On average, in years when the president is a Democrat, the economy grows faster; inflation is lower; fewer people can't find a job; the federal government spends a smaller share of GDP, whether or not you include defense spending; and the deficit is lower"
Source

Let me guess, you don't like the source. No problem here's a pretty picture instead.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Let me guess, you don't like the source. No problem here's a pretty picture instead.
I agree that budget deficits are bad under Republicans.. that wasn't the argument. Nice attempt to pass off the entire thread with the colorful picture though.

Budget deficit is not the same thing as the economy. I do agree that irresponsible fiscal policy is something that needs to be fixed - slightly increased taxes across the board and massive cuts in spending, but there are far more factors in the economy of the country than the deficit.

This is like saying the team that wins the Super Bowl is always the one who has the largest point differential over the entire season - it helps, but it's just not an accurate answer for the question asked.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:18 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
no one wants to tackle the real issue. spending, and government waste.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
So you telling me that manipulating numbers and making figures and statistics is not lying? I thought that these things were the whole "art" of lying... don't trust figures, trust your senses... unfortunately liberals don't have any sense...

Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So you telling me that manipulating numbers and making figures and statistics is not lying? I thought that these things were the whole "art" of lying... don't trust figures, trust your senses... unfortunately liberals don't have any sense...
I'm trusting my liberal "senses" by looking at the current state of our country and my family's economic worries. Republican senses telling you that as long as you're doing okay, then everyone else must be too? Sounds like YOUR point makes no sense if you think the country is in great shape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections