Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:59 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Exactly. Californians are smart, and realize that they can relocate to less developed states, but afford far lower cost of living. The price of a modest home in Orange County could buy you a mansion in New Mexico. California is a pricey place.

I know from other boards here that many leave because of the illegal immigration situation, taking over the state. Lots of their tax money is used to support the illegals, and they don't like it one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He's been considered a maverick for years, labelled that way by the MSM who so enjoyed him poking his finger in the eye of his party. All one has to do is look at this record to see he has indeed bucked his party on many, many occasions.
That was the old John McCain, now we have the John McCain that votes w/ the president 95% of the time. The old John McCain in 2000 would have been a much better choice than GWB was.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I know from other boards here that many leave because of the illegal immigration situation, taking over the state. Lots of their tax money is used to support the illegals, and they don't like it one bit.
My relatives in the San Diego area don't think the illegal problem is any worse there than it was in AZ when they lived there...If all these people are leaving CA b/c of the "liberal gov't", why are so many still moving out there? Like others have said, people are mainly moving out b/c the cost of living is outrageous, and unless you're a multi millionaire, like my aunt & uncle out there, it's hard to afford a decent life. If they didn't like the politics, why do they still vote for Democrats more often, leading states like NV to flip over to a Blue state and what not? OR and WA are also liberal states, yet you don't see an exodous of their population due their "liberal policies".

Good news though, Obama is now pulling out to a 4 pt lead in the polls. I still expect to see him take a commanding lead after the debates.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
The residents of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico just LOVE all these very unhappy Californians relocating to their states because they couldn't stand CA laws anymore. As long as the government pollution doesn't spread to surrounding states, more power to them for not taking it anymore.
I've lived in both OR and CO. I never heard anyone happy to have them. "Californication" is the only term I've ever heard to refer to them.

The whole nation hates Californians. Kids who don't know any better? They don't mind them (at first). After a little while though, the differences begin to emerge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
I think the word is 'elitist'.
Unless you have a special definition I've never heard, then no, the word isn't elitist. The post you reference deals with the reward of merit. Elitism deals with superiority as a result of nature.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
That was the old John McCain, now we have the John McCain that votes w/ the president 95% of the time. The old John McCain in 2000 would have been a much better choice than GWB was.
It's 90% with his party. Love the way that number keeps getting exaggerated. Also, now that he doesn't need the support of his party, he's been quite free to bash what the party has been doing the last 8 years. He's clearly the same McCain as 2000.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thats true California is full of liberals and take a look at the state of California today! The illegal problem, gangs! High crime! Pollution. Imagine if the dems win the race- say bye bye America!

Vote Wisely! Dont let the liberals bring down America like they did with California!

McCain/Palin 2008
Oh, I couldn't agree with you more...I live in this liberal mess called California and see everyday what it's brought us. I've seen, first hand, what has happened to a once great state. And please don't mention our Republican Governor...I really think he's a Democrat in disguise!

McCain/Palin '08

Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Very true but being educated doesn't make someone smart or intelligent. In fact, most college graduates these days are quite unintelligent.
I have to agree with this...I retired from a profession that required most of it's employees to have a degree...the strangest thing I realized was, they all had book smarts, but some, not all, had no common sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections