Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Why is it most Americans don't understand these very basic principles and concepts?

I think they actually believe that those who get taxes on $250k actually walked home at the end of the year with $250k in their pockets.
LOL, Exactly...

But Albert Gore once said someone who makes $250K per year for 4 years was a 'millionaire'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
The truth about Obama's tax plan and small businesses:

FactCheck: McCain Continues to Distort Obama's Tax Proposals | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Excerpts:

The ad continues McCain's pattern of misrepresenting Sen. Barack Obama's tax proposals as falling on middle-income families. It claims that Obama "promises more taxes on small businesses, seniors, your life savings, your family." But that's untrue for the vast majority of small businesses, seniors and individual taxpayers, who would see their taxes go down under Obama's actual plan. He proposes to increase taxes only for those with more than $250,000 in family income, or $200,000 in individual income.

The TV ad also says that Obama "promises more taxes on small business, seniors, your life savings, your family." This statement is simply not true for the vast majority of viewers who will see it. Obama, in fact, promises to deliver a $1,000 tax cut for families making up to $150,000 a year, and he says he would increase income tax rates, capital gains tax rates and taxes on dividends only for those with family incomes over $250,000 a year, or for single taxpayers making over $200,000.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
LOL, Exactly...

But Albert Gore once said someone who makes $250K per year for 4 years was a 'millionaire'...
Can you please help me make some sense to these people:

obama or mccain???

Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Exactly.
I will never pay 50% in taxes.
I'll just shut down, and liquidate.

I could probably easily survive for 30+ years, more if I worked part time somewhere (I have plenty of manual and technical skills).
luzianne said:
If they do that, my small business will shut down for sure, and there will be me and four other people out of a job.

People this is NOT the American dream.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The truth about Obama's tax plan and small businesses:

FactCheck: McCain Continues to Distort Obama's Tax Proposals | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Excerpts:

The ad continues McCain's pattern of misrepresenting Sen. Barack Obama's tax proposals as falling on middle-income families. It claims that Obama "promises more taxes on small businesses, seniors, your life savings, your family." But that's untrue for the vast majority of small businesses, seniors and individual taxpayers, who would see their taxes go down under Obama's actual plan. He proposes to increase taxes only for those with more than $250,000 in family income, or $200,000 in individual income.

The TV ad also says that Obama "promises more taxes on small business, seniors, your life savings, your family." This statement is simply not true for the vast majority of viewers who will see it. Obama, in fact, promises to deliver a $1,000 tax cut for families making up to $150,000 a year, and he says he would increase income tax rates, capital gains tax rates and taxes on dividends only for those with family incomes over $250,000 a year, or for single taxpayers making over $200,000.
What is blatantly missing is how all revenue is pass-through income. Sole props and S-corps get crushed in taxes. It is not very hard to surpass 250k in "income" when it is revenue your business takes in. McCain at least wants to cut our rate down to 25%, which is still too high imo. I guess all of us small business folks should just believe a candidate and an online fact checker instead of relying on our years of actually filing the taxes and seeing what we truly pay.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
LOL, Exactly...

Oh and don't forget he invented the internet too!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
luzianne said:
If they do that, my small business will shut down for sure, and there will be me and four other people out of a job.

People this is NOT the American dream.
Where have you been?
The new American Dream is that the government (through what means I have no idea since they actually have no money of their own) provides all, and controls all. The hand that feeds, cradle to grave.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Oh and don't forget he invented the internet too!
Like McCain invented the blackberry?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
What is blatantly missing is how all revenue is pass-through income. Sole props and S-corps get crushed in taxes. It is not very hard to surpass 250k in "income" when it is revenue your business takes in. McCain at least wants to cut our rate down to 25%, which is still too high imo. I guess all of us small business folks should just believe a candidate and an online fact checker instead of relying on our years of actually filing the taxes and seeing what we truly pay.
No, what you should do is actually research what the details of Obama's plan are, rather than rely on innuendo and rumor. You know, like read--or something?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
That's funny, because every business owner I know (including myself) thinks that Obama will be a nightmare.

Seriously, I would love for you to Direct Message me and send me the full list of all the business owners you know, so I can call them directly and ask them why they think McCain will be a nightmare and more importantly, why they think Obama will be better.

I'm dead serious about this...I really want to talk to them. I own 2 businesses, and have not talked to anybody who shares the viewpoint you presented. I will call them and I will keep an open mind and listen, and if any of them can make a factual case of why Obama will be better for small business owners, you can walk into the booth with me and watch me cast my vote for Obama.

I would like their names too!

Put up or shut up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections