Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times

Advertisements

Question is, who will feel the pinch more if the following approach on this video is taken during this election cycle.

YouTube - Three Way Presidential Debate - Obama, McCain, and Nader

Ralph Nader for President in 2008

I haven't had time yet to go through and scan over the "meat and taters" issues of economy, the occupation of Iraq/Afghanistan and where Nader stands on these and others. However, I am curious to see what kind of numbers he posts compared to say Bob Barr and Chuck Baldwin.

If nothing else, the video was quite interesting and well worth the watch. 10 bucks says that both Republicans and Democrats alike, cringe while watching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times
TN, will you marry me? I'll let you have girlfriends.

This is by far the best evidence that mccain and Obama are no different. They only differ on the specifics rather than the ideas.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM

HA HA, well I don't think the lil misses would care none too much about that one, which reminds me, I have to make reservations before... ruht roh.

I'm telling ya, I watched it twice now and just sat there like a slack jawed rube with one too many trips to the mason jar. I realize there are those who would like to suggest or even make me up a new tin foil hat for my views that the two parties have become so close that to me they appear as two wings of the same party.

I have noticed that Nader has taken note of the Paul campaign and is approaching it from a very similar angle. Although I don't think Nader has gotten much notice and for obvious reasons. If they let this man into the debates the Paul effect will happen where by Nader who doesn't really stand a chance will make his mark by addressing question that NO ONE wants to really talk about.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 PM

How many states has he made it onto the ballot? Barr is claiming he's on 46 state ballots. That in itself should qualify him for the debates.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM

Nader I believe is currently on 45. More importantly, is it possible for Barr, Baldwin or Nader to win a single state? (most likely Montana)

Old 09-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Welp, he's a write in here in NC. I need to research him more. I voted for him once. Not that it mattered in NC.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
No, he was a factor in 2000 but won't be a factor again. Just like Barr or Baldwin, I think Nader only gathers votes from folks who weren't going to vote for Obama or McCain anyway. I see it as a non-factor.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Well here is what is takes in order to take part in the debates.

CPD: Candidate Selection Process (http://www.debates.org/pages/candsel2008.html - broken link)
Quote:
In connection with the 2008 general election, the CPD will apply three criteria to each declared candidate to determine whether that candidate qualifies for inclusion in one or more of the CPD's debates. The criteria are (1) constitutional eligibility, (2) ballot access, and (3) electoral support. All three criteria must be satisfied before a candidate will be invited to debate.

B. 2008 Nonpartisan Selection Criteria

The CPD's nonpartisan criteria for selecting candidates to participate in the 2008 general election presidential debates are:

1. Evidence of Constitutional Eligibility

The CPD's first criterion requires satisfaction of the eligibility requirements of Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution. The requirements are satisfied if the candidate:

a. is at least 35 years of age;

b. is a Natural Born Citizen of the United States and a resident of the United States for fourteen years; and

c. is otherwise eligible under the Constitution.

2. Evidence of Ballot Access

The CPD's second criterion requires that the candidate qualify to have his/her name appear on enough state ballots to have at least a mathematical chance of securing an Electoral College majority in the 2008 general election. Under the Constitution, the candidate who receives a majority of votes in the Electoral College, at least 270 votes, is elected President regardless of the popular vote.

3. Indicators of Electoral Support

The CPD's third criterion requires that the candidate have a level of support of at least 15% (fifteen percent) of the national electorate as determined by five selected national public opinion polling organizations, using the average of those organizations' most recent publicly-reported results at the time of the determination.

C. Application of Criteria

CPD's determination with respect to participation in CPD's first-scheduled debate will be made after Labor Day 2008, but sufficiently in advance of the first-scheduled debate to allow for orderly planning. Invitations to participate in the vice-presidential debate will be extended to the running mates of each of the presidential candidates qualifying for participation in CPD's first presidential debate. Invitations to participate in the second and third of CPD's scheduled presidential debates will be based upon satisfaction of the same multiple criteria prior to each debate.

Adopted: October 2007

Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
No, he was a factor in 2000 but won't be a factor again. Just like Barr or Baldwin, I think Nader only gathers votes from folks who weren't going to vote for Obama or McCain anyway. I see it as a non-factor.
I certainly agree Nader won't be a factor in this election cycle, I do disagree with the why. Nader has always been seen as an attractive alternative for the anti-war liberals and probably still is. Many in liberal circles are still spitting bile at the lack of leadership from Pelosi and Reid and have their doubts as to whether Obama is serious about an anti-war stance.

As far as Republicans go, if they had ran with someone along the lines of Thompson, Romney, or even Tancredo, they wouldn't have disenfranchised the hard right as much as they did with going with the maverick centrist McCain. Those more Libertarian minded conservatives wretch at the thought of McCain and have thus moved on over to writing in Paul or supporting Barr or even Baldwin.

Had a serious campaign from a third party position been put forth sooner, I do believe it would have a recognizable impact on this election cycle and you only have to look at how many declared independents and undecided there are out there... a bunch.

Personally, I hope third parties, no matter which ones out there garnish 5-7% of the total vote and we end up on the 5th of Nov in chaos over which one cost who the election.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Personally, I hope third parties, no matter which ones out there garnish 5-7% of the total vote and we end up on the 5th of Nov in chaos over which one cost who the election.
I hope there is a viable 3rd party in the next few years. It can get "critical mass" given that many feel we are constantly choosing the lesser of the two evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections