Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the majority of prejudice really coming from?
Whites towards Obama's "race" 27 52.94%
Everyone towards McCains's "age" 15 29.41%
Ugly women towards Palin's "looks" 10 19.61%
Ron Paul voters towards "everyone" 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natchezbreed View Post
No one is racist in regards to McCain's age, just, um, realistic. The man is old, and not in the best of health.

He's obviously going senile, ie., look at his choice for Vice President running mate.
mccain must have shaken up the democratic party because they are obsessed with palin and what she does or does not do, instead of either focusing on their leader, obama, or his actual opponent, mccain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
You forgot one, how about the African Americans that vote for McCain as a half white and half black person where everyone looks at me as black i get a lot of crap from people cause i have a McCain bumper sticker. this sucks i get threats and other thing from other African Americans saying i am a insult to the race. I think we have have it worse than anyone else this really does suck. The other thing is is that everyone assumes that i am voting Obama when the question comes up who are you voting for people skip me thinking i am an obama fan and when i tell them i want McCain in there jaw drops like if i did a trick or something.
I would say that has more to do with the intelligence of the people you're hanging around with. My brother has been black his whole life and i don't think he's ever voted democrat and he's made it very well known that he's voting for McCain and I've yet to hear about anyone spitting in his face or calling him an Uncle Tom. My boyfriend was a Clinton supporter and says he may do a write-in; when he tells people this no jaws drop, no heads roll. They say "oh okay. Did you see Tina Fey on SNL?" and we move on.

None of my friends/family members are really that interested in who the others are voting for - as long as they're voting I'm happy.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:30 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,498,002 times
I figure the ugly skanks against Palins looks, Michelle is voting twice against her. She knows she can't compete.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 AM

855 posts, read 2,398,569 times
I'd lean towards McCain's age myself. If whites in this country were that concerned about Obama's race he wouldn't even be in the position he's in. He certainly didn't reach the point he's at with just black votes. McCain's age doesn't mean he's unable to lead and as far as his health issues, well, less advanced age and a relatively clean past bill of health is no guarantee of long life. I've heard more about his age and health being mentioned as issues that could be an impediment towards his ability to lead than Obama's race.

I'm white, 52, my best friend of 40 years is black(When we became friends I caught it from both sides. Whites who called me a N-lover and blacks from the city where he had family who called me honky or cracker.) and my second wife was black. My sister-in-law is married to a black man whom I have a great relationship with and when their daughter calls me Uncle Dave, it makes me smile as much as when my own sibling's children call me that. I have two sister-in-laws who are Polish, another who's Italian, an Irish brother-in-law, a nephew who is a Jehovah's Witness and a gay cousin. I love them all. Except maybe the 2nd wife.

I've voted Democrat in every presidential election since Carter. Good man, nothing spectacular as a president. I wonder sometimes if Ford hadn't pardoned Nixon if he wouldn't have won that year. The only time I wasn't 100% certain about my vote was Clinton because I wasn't terribly familiar with him but I was less than fond of Bush Sr. While Clinton turned out to be a decent president, the economy during his time in office benefited greatly from the tech/dot com boom of that time. He still had his flaws but flaws are easier to ignore when everything's peachy.

Race, age, sex, culture or religion will never play a role in any decision I make. Only competency or a lack thereof. I won't give my vote to either candidate in this election because neither have said or done anything to make me believe that they can improve this country and elevate it to where it's been in the not so distant past.

Obama has reiterated the same refrain since the beginning of the year, worded slightly different here and there, but basically the same. Style without substance, as far as I'm concerned. He made a very good speech at the 2004 DNC which gave him national recognition and helped him get his foot in the door then realized after a short stint as a junior senator that all the resentment towards the current administration offered him the perfect opportunity to make a run at the presidency. His best argument? I'm not them. Sorry folks, change for the sake of change isn't always an improvement.

If McCain were the McCain from years past, I would actually be tempted to vote for him but he's not. It has nothing to do with his association with the party or Bush. I don't believe in guilt by association and all that silly warmonger garbage, as though no Democrat has ever presided over or sent troops into combat. He's just a fully assimilated Republican. He may still be less conservative than some/most, but he's not the same maverick willing to break away from the pack that he was once considered to be.

These two are the sorriest choices for president that I can remember and I don't think this country wins either way. It seems less like an election and more like a sporting event where one side is competing against the other to win the title.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM

11,362 posts, read 16,735,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I'm sick of the double standards, so I'm doing this poll merely to point out the double standards that exist, mostly on the part of the left leaning liberals in this country.

I am a white male, 40 yrs. old. I am voting McCain. That being said, I challenge anyone to find a post from me that even hints at prejudice.
The fact that you aren't voting for Obama makes you a racist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections