Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times

Advertisements

I am not saying they should ban anything, I just think it's a total waste of time. it's a chance for the candidates to massage their own egos and it doesn't teach us much. I actually watched the "debate" last night. you know who I thought won? the moderator. she did an excellent job after all that crap about her being an obama supporter. watching an interview on MTV and getting voting information from outlets like that is like someone listening to hannity to get voter information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Jmarquise, if we only look at their records and the transcripts from old speeches, we'll be dwelling on the past. Didn't Sarah say she's looking to the future? Well, interviews and debates are the ways we get glimpses of their vision for the future. Plus, how they relate to people outside their comfort zones is an important assessment. Watching a Senator on the Senate floor doesn't tell you a lot about how that same Senator will be when negotiating a trade agreement with the Chinese, or a peace agreement in Palestine. Voters need to see candidates in as many settings as possible, with friendly interviewers and antagonistic interviewers, doing their talking points, and trying to persuade voters to vote for them. How persuasive a candidate is, how prepared they are for the "gotcha" questions, how they manage not to answer questions they don't want as well as what those questions are, this is the meat of any campaign. Why do you think it's a good idea to water down the campaigns to "click and compare" websites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
oh, you're right. we need to know what kind of questions david letterman, and his oh so enlightened audience want to be asked. you can find legit sources on the net to find out at palin that are unbiased. you know what I have learned by watching interviews and debates between these candidates? I have learned they can distort the words of others, and make themselves appear how they want to appear. I don't want candidates doing interviews on MTV because I sure as hell don't want MTV's audience voting. I see how they vote on TRL. I guess you just want more ignorance at the polls, but that is what has kept us on the steady decline over the last 100 years.
Palin complains about Couric and Gibson, and you translate that into Letterman and MTV???? Media interviews are not supposed to be showcases for candidates to make their talking points. The media is biased. Reporters are people, editors are people, station owners are people. Candidates know this going in, they don't sit down for an interview with a speech in hand, thinking they're going to get to say their piece and that's it. Political positions are trade-offs. Politicians take hits for the positions they choose. Campaigns are about defending those positions and persuading critics that the position a candidate chose was the lesser of two evils. Campaigns are also about the candidate. They're invasive and revealing. Why? Because people don't want to know only about the positions the candidate has taken in the past, they want to know that the positions the candidate takes in the future will also be the lesser of two evils. When it comes to the economy, or foreign policy, or the Supreme Court, or funding infrastructure, or anything else the government does, to voters the future is unknown, a scary place. They want to reassured that the candidate they vote for is the right person to light the way ahead.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:57 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
If she cant take the heat, she needs to get out of the kitchen!!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Is anyone disturbed by her saying in the video, and I paraphrase, "I felt I was being looked down on for choosing not to answer some questions and instead switch the subject to what I believe the American people want to hear?"

Maybe I am just your average joe sixpack and know nothing about dem fancy interviews ... but I could have sworn that was the gosh darn point of an interview - to answer the questions that are asked of ya. Back in my neighborhood we call what she said just plain old simple "dodgin" or "duckin".

Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
She's not complaining. She's making legitimate points. If Obama said the same thing you'd be cheering and saying how right he was.

Except for the fact that Obama hasn't kept himself sequestered from the press and the public for the last month. He'd have no reason to ever whine like Palin has. But then, maybe she really is too bleak to get the contradiction.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
She's not complaining. She's making legitimate points. If Obama said the same thing you'd be cheering and saying how right he was.

More like whining, you're right, we should be accurate.

"There's no crying in baseball" - Tom Hanks

Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Palin complains about Couric and Gibson, and you translate that into Letterman and MTV???? Media interviews are not supposed to be showcases for candidates to make their talking points. The media is biased. Reporters are people, editors are people, station owners are people. Candidates know this going in, they don't sit down for an interview with a speech in hand, thinking they're going to get to say their piece and that's it. Political positions are trade-offs. Politicians take hits for the positions they choose. Campaigns are about defending those positions and persuading critics that the position a candidate chose was the lesser of two evils. Campaigns are also about the candidate. They're invasive and revealing. Why? Because people don't want to know only about the positions the candidate has taken in the past, they want to know that the positions the candidate takes in the future will also be the lesser of two evils. When it comes to the economy, or foreign policy, or the Supreme Court, or funding infrastructure, or anything else the government does, to voters the future is unknown, a scary place. They want to reassured that the candidate they vote for is the right person to light the way ahead.
Couric is a joke. Who would take her seriously? I have less respect for Couric than Palin. Couric's purpose in life right now is to embarrass Palin. That's what women do by the way in real life. That's why there are less female CEOs because fellow females sabotage it before they get there.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:33 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Never in the history of Politics has a candidate not figured out that the media asks questions to find out about what the candidate knows or how the candidate feels about topics, that the interviewer feels that people want to know. Sarah Palin has not quite got it. Does Palin feel that unless the question is given to the interviewer by herself, or that an interviewer may not ask any question about Palin's stance on topics related to her running for VP, otherwise she has been treated unfairly? I saw the most pathetic thing today on FOX. Carl Cameron asking Sarah Palin again the question about supreme court decissions that she disagrees with. Guess what, she reeled off a few examples. WOW, GADZOOKS, how did she do that? She must be really bright or she was given a few answers to repeat after her humiliating attempt with courick. It was PATHETIC.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Yes, I'm getting a bit tired of her constant complaints about the media. Here's something, answer the questions that are asked of you. Answer them instead of switching the subject to something you feel more comfortable with. Life in the white house isn't about comfort, it's about dealing w/real issues at pertinent moments.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:42 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Couric is a joke. Who would take her seriously? I have less respect for Couric than Palin. Couric's purpose in life right now is to embarrass Palin. That's what women do by the way in real life. That's why there are less female CEOs because fellow females sabotage it before they get there.
Couric is not the joke, Palin is....Couric asked very simple questions that almost anyone would have been able to answer..Palin couldn't or wouldn't answer..What newspapers do you read? Good grief, was Couric ever setting her up there!.. Palin could have answered easily..."None."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections