Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
McCain best not try that stunt: he was born in the US Canal Zone.
No, he wasn't. You need to research that more. He was born on a US Federal Reservation that was established by Executive Order in 1920. The Canal Zone is adjacent to that, but the Canal Zone is not a Federal Reservation.

So, McCain can try that "stunt" with no harm to him.

Quote:
Too: anybody remember George Romney (Mitt's father)? George was born in Chihuahua, Mx to US citizens who were residents.........which could have backfired against him back in 1968 had he won the GOP nomination. Stricktly speaking; George was a Mexican.
I don't know anything about that, but it sounds right.

Quote:
Remember that Obama's mom was a US citizen so Barack would have been just as 'American' as the two above Republicans.
No, under the law at the time if you left the US before the 19th birthday you forfeited your citizenship. We aren't talking about a two week vacation in Cancun, Mexico, we're talking a substantial period of time.

Quote:
On the off chance that Obama is indeed disqualified of the above allegations are true-----------Hillary would probably default back in and the Dems would still win.
Well, no, Biden gets the nod and it's his place to select a VP. Hillary would reject it. She's better off staying as a senator than to get mixed up in the night-mare over the next 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptik View Post
Did you not read the rest of my post? I never said a candidate can't be disqualified because of long campaigning, but don't you think that even BEFORE he campaigned that the government will look heavily into his background before even letting him run?
Um, no actually they wouldn't. In fact, it appears they never have in the past.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM

179 posts, read 199,683 times
Lol.

These hillbillies are so desperate. Lulz. You can smell their fear.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:08 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, no actually they wouldn't. In fact, it appears they never have in the past.
I was wondering whose job that would be.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
No, he wasn't. You need to research that more. He was born on a US Federal Reservation that was established by Executive Order in 1920. The Canal Zone is adjacent to that, but the Canal Zone is not a Federal Reservation.

So, McCain can try that "stunt" with no harm to him.

I don't know anything about that, but it sounds right.

No, under the law at the time if you left the US before the 19th birthday you forfeited your citizenship. We aren't talking about a two week vacation in Cancun, Mexico, we're talking a substantial period of time.

Well, no, Biden gets the nod and it's his place to select a VP. Hillary would reject it. She's better off staying as a senator than to get mixed up in the night-mare over the next 4 years.
Do you proof of that? Leaving the USA prior to one's 18th birthday I can accept but the 19th? That does not sound right.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
No real birth certificate, no name on my ballot. Simple as that.
My question is how do you and your family not know when and where you were born? Cripe, my grandmothers wrote down each child, time of birth, weight, length, location ( this was before hospitals births were common).... the whole nine yards... one even wrote the weather and time of labor. For each child ( my parents, my aunts, my uncles -- over 12 of them) the Church can provide baptism certificates and any other item related to things like marriage. From there I can find records registered at County Hall, etc. etc. Both my mother and my husband's mother both did exactly the same thing and we know where we were born; we did it as well and it is there in the Bible for our kids.... all our our family Bibles are full of info to verify birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death..... So, if you needed a record, it would be easy to find.

Oh, gees, I must have forgotten his mother was an athiest. I guess she didn't think anyone needed to write it down, huh?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

She was on a college study-abroad program. I never heard of anyone losing their citizenship because of that. Perhaps you could provide a link, to the law that is, not some right wing website that is just parroting what some whack said.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Are you sure? I thought a child born of US citizens is a US citizen regardless of where he/she is born. Look at all the children of military born overseas.
Yes, the child will be a US citizen but not eligible to be President. The Constitution requires that you be born in the United States or it's territories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections