Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times

Advertisements

I have no idea if this issue is valid or just a slander attempt. I have been doing a bit of looking into things and did find this:

Philip J. Berg, Esq. Files Federal Lawsuit Requesting Obama Be Removed as a Candidate as he does not meet the Qualifications for President

At the bottom of the page is the pdf of the case filings, though I have yet to confirm this filing with the "The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania" as their web design is horrible.

Obviously this does not prove anything for or against. The PDF's need to be verified to the court to which they claim to have filed.

Also, from a tad bit I have read, Berg is known for his "9/11" conspiracies (or so I have read, though I have not verified this directly either) and that makes me twinge a bit as I have read the details on the debunking on that general issue, so if he is related to those claims, it doesn't help his credibility.

That said, so far the basic request is that Obama provide the basic credentials to prove his being born here in the US. The reasoning behind the people in this issue is that they believe this is a very simple task and that he should be able to provide the proper documents to verify this. They claim that since he is holding out, that this supports their claims of him not being legal.

Personally, If that were the case, and I admit there may be more to this (hard to find non slanted responses to this regardless of the side, can't people speak in facts and sources anymore? ) Anyway, I think that if there is an actual case filed, then this could be an easy smack to the face of the claims as well as a good support to Obama's side by showing his evidence and then using it as a claim that people are slandering foundlessly.

Also, it may be that they are afraid to give it any real attention because of the nature of the public and the problem with credaibilty to the claim being given by such attention, regardless of outcome.

It is an interesting claim, but it seems to me that those in support of Obama would be serving their cause better if they attempted to fight this issue with facts rather than slanders. If this is a false claim without any backing, then like any issue of simialar nature, it would be beneficial to sqaush it with the facts.

Thats where I find it a bit... confusing. That is, while one side is making a claim, attempts to provide what appears to be legitimate documents and claims, the other side meets those claims with illogical comments and poor behavior. So, the issue continues to hang in the air and doubt continues to foster in those peoples minds who are considering it.

As for people saying even if it is true, it doesn't matter, well I can only say that this is the problem with your position. You don't care about the rules unless it benefits you. You care only about what you want, what you get, and that you get it now. A dangerous mindset for sure and a very good example as to what our founders found to be the core development of a failed society. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is an interesting claim, but it seems to me that those in support of Obama would be serving their cause better if they attempted to fight this issue with facts rather than slanders. If this is a false claim without any backing, then like any issue of simialar nature, it would be beneficial to sqaush it with the facts.

Thats where I find it a bit... confusing. That is, while one side is making a claim, attempts to provide what appears to be legitimate documents and claims, the other side meets those claims with illogical comments and poor behavior. So, the issue continues to hang in the air and doubt continues to foster in those peoples minds who are considering it.

As for people saying even if it is true, it doesn't matter, well I can only say that this is the problem with your position. You don't care about the rules unless it benefits you. You care only about what you want, what you get, and that you get it now. A dangerous mindset for sure and a very good example as to what our founders found to be the core development of a failed society. /shrug
Well said. It's incredibly mind-boggling and illogical.

If it was me, I'd arrange a wonderful photo-op with the Democrat governor and secretary of state of Ohio, along with one of the Democrat county commissioners, and the Democrat mayor of the city at the hospital where I was born, and the governor would wave around THE original copy of the birth certificate (there's only one and no one has seen it) and allow reporters to touch it and then I would launch into some tirade about health care.

This is child's play and something a 12-year old could have handled more cleverly.

The fact that Obama can't/won't/hasn't/isn't handling it says a lot about him as a possible future president.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
It's a pathetic attempt to recreate McCarthyism.
McCarthy was right. Every single one of his claims was ultimately proven to be true.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Even if this were true, it wouldn't matter because his mother is a US citizen and that means her children are US citizens - all native born. Your barking up the wrong tree.
Well, no, under the laws at the time if she left the US before her 19th birthday she would have forfeited her citizenship. You had to be physically in the US from the age of 14 to 19.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Even if both parents are US citizens a child born in a foreign country cannot be president according to the constitution. McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone which was US territory at the time and is therefore eligible. If Obama was born in Kenya he would have to have been born inside the US Embassy compound to qualify.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, no, under the laws at the time if she left the US before her 19th birthday she would have forfeited her citizenship. You had to be physically in the US from the age of 14 to 19.
No, that is 100% false and has been discussed here before.

You do not lose your citizenship if you leave the country before your 19th birthday, or I guess I am not a citizen since I traveled internationally in my teens. Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

Seriously, I'm re-reading that, where in the world did you hear that if you leave the US between the ages of 14 to 19, you are no longer a citizen? I mean, really.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Even if both parents are US citizens a child born in a foreign country cannot be president according to the constitution.
Are you sure? I thought a child born of US citizens is a US citizen regardless of where he/she is born. Look at all the children of military born overseas.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
No real birth certificate, no name on my ballot. Simple as that.

So when did you see McCain's and Palin's?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptik View Post
Honestly thinking about it, with less than 4 weeks left until the Presidential election do you REALLY think they are going to disqualify Obama now? He announced his run for the Presidency in the beginning of 2007, if people really found evidence that he wasn't a US born citizen don't you think they would have disqualified him from even running a long time ago rather than less than 4 weeks before the election? These reports of Obama not born in the US are absolutely ridiculous, do you actually think that a person running for the highest office of the land would risk being exposed with having a fake birth certificate? Why would a person even run for president KNOWING that their background will be heavily scrutinized and try to hide a fake birth certificate and being born in another country. Give me a f'n break.
eliptik the Right has to continue these false rumors as they get desperate knowing they are going to lose the election. This is like the millionth thread on Obama & his birth certificate.

Did it ever occur to these idiots that when you file to run for the Presidency the US Government checks you out?

Here is what I don't get, McCain was born in Panama but nobody questions his citizenship. Technically he is not a American!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It would be the ultimate in poetic justice, wouldn't it.

I don't want to buoy your hopes, but back in April in Denver, Colorado, the world's best astrologers met just to study and interpret certain stellar anomalies that will occur on November 4. These are the same people who predicted that the courts would be involved in the 2000 Election and that the 2004 Election would be contested.

They came to 3 possible conclusions, the most probable of which is that the person elected on November 4 is not the person who will be sworn in as president.

Understand they came to that as a possible conclusion before all this business with Obama's birth certificate surfaced.
Even though I live in suburban Denver, I missed this press conference. Oh, well. I think the astologers will be as accurate as they were in 2008, that is, the election was not contested and John Kerry conceded the next day.

Perhaps in April the astrologers though McCain would be elected and die before he was inaugurated. Such predictions are commonplace among astrologers in election years.

United States presidential election, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
No, that is 100% false and has been discussed here before.

You do not lose your citizenship if you leave the country before your 19th birthday, or I guess I am not a citizen since I traveled internationally in my teens. Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

Seriously, I'm re-reading that, where in the world did you hear that if you leave the US between the ages of 14 to 19, you are no longer a citizen? I mean, really.
Even if there were such a law, which I doubt, it would not apply to US citizens who are college students studying abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections