Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Gun sales are booming and the media says it's the economy but I think it may be people are worried they won't be able to buy one if Obama is elected and he and a Democrat Congress change the gun laws, so they are buying them now while they still can. I know I've been thinking about it --- that and surgery that isn't to correct a life threatening illness. I figure I'm going to need cataract surgery within the next two years so maybe I better have it done before Inauguration Day.

Here's an article that says it's tied to the economy not Obama. Still...

As economy sours, gun sales boom : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

HELICOPTER SALES ARE BOOMING, TOO. Helicopter sales will indeed be outlawed, if Obama is president. Please send donations to the National Helicopter Association.

Nothin' beats shootin' helpless animals from a helicopter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 PM

118 posts, read 146,524 times
remedya4 wrote: "It will be a new country and a new world" Well here's what I think...I think he has fooled the Afro-American people into believing they matter more than anything to him and that he is going to personally take care of each and everyone of them. Helloooo...don't be surprised when he doesn't give you the time of day. Thats just how it works.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Compared to an AK-47's 7.62mm round, the .223 cal is a small round. Many NATO soldiers feel the 5.56mm "NATO round" (nearly identical to the .223 and interchangeable in some cases) is too small and would rather use a round similar to the 7.62mm.

Many hunters use larger calibers than .223! This is not a large round!
Some military folks will claim that 5.56 is superior to the 7.62 because it fragments, causing immense wound damage. Ballistics tests do show this to be the case, but only for ranges up to about 120 yards. It does tumble in flesh as well. However, the reliability of the AK as well as the sheer power of a 7.62 make it one of my favorite calibers. However, the cost effective nature as well as the extreme tumbling capability of the 5.45 (AK-74 round) make it one of my favorite light calibers. Afghans used to call it the "poison bullet" (although Afghan medics were certainly less capable than modern armies' medics)

Speaking of which, military officials also liked the 5.56 because the fragmenting and tumbling with more severe wounds would force more soldiers out of a fight, as it takes 2 to take care of one fallen comrade.

Keep in mind during a firefight between a group with M4s vs AK-47, the barrage of 7.62 punching through wood and crushing cement would be a terrifying display to most trained soldiers. Plus, the reliability of the AK would mean fewer rifles would be jamming during the firefight.

7.62 is also cheaper, especially Russian military surplus ammo. 5.45 is even cheaper at about 10 cents a round. Actually, other than my Golani clone (Israeli), I own no rifle with .223/5.56

The p***ing contest between an AR-15 and AK-47 is eternal. Everyone has their favorite.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
HELICOPTER SALES ARE BOOMING, TOO. Helicopter sales will indeed be outlawed, if Obama is president. Please send donations to the National Helicopter Association.

Nothin' beats shootin' helpless animals from a helicopter.
It's funny. Even being the extreme gun nut that I am, I find shooting animals from a helicopter pretty stupid. It really doesn't help that as a firearms owner, I'm surrounded by way too many idiots. Ironic how many of these gun owners think I'm not deserving of my concealed, etc just because I like to light it up once in a while, yet shooting animals from a helicopter is a-ok.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
What is a "low caliber cartridge".....And how would a .223 cal AR-15 fit into that uhhh "description"?A 223 is a "very small round"? And aren't "functionality" and "works" the same thing?You are just a wealth of misinformation ain't ya.(notice no question mark)
there are many guns that use the larger size ammo that do NOT fit under the assault weapon description, sizes such as the .30-06 or the
.308. they are more powerfully and larger in size.

the .223X39 round used in the M-16, and the AR-15 are good enough to take down deer, but not good for larger game.

my point is that there are guns with a more powerful round that do NOT fit into the descriptions of "assault weapons", you proved my point exactly the AK-47 and the AR-15 use the smaller round, yet are put on the list of "assault weapons" where as a weapon that may fire a .30-06, (which is a more powerful round, and physically larger) would not be on that list. It is based on LOOKS, not power and functionality.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
there are many guns that use the larger size ammo that do NOT fit under the assault weapon description, sizes such as the .30-06 or the

the .223X39 round used in the M-16, and the AR-15 are good enough to take down deer, but not good for larger game.

my point is that there are guns with a more powerful round that do NOT fit into the descriptions of "assault weapons", you proved my point exactly the AK-47 and the AR-15 use the smaller round, yet are put on the list of "assault weapons" where as a weapon that may fire a .30-06, (which is a more powerful round, and physically larger) would not be on that list. It is based on LOOKS, not power and functionality.
Will a Saiga .308 hold a 75 round drum?

How about an M1 or M14?

With an AK, I can unload 75 fairly powerful rounds in the time it would take an M14 to unload 30 rounds.

Ooooh, I like the FN FAL and it's on my xmas list

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyT View Post
remedya4 wrote: "It will be a new country and a new world" Well here's what I think...I think he has fooled the Afro-American people into believing they matter more than anything to him and that he is going to personally take care of each and everyone of them. Helloooo...don't be surprised when he doesn't give you the time of day. Thats just how it works.
Remedy has already been banned for threatening violence against specific forum members and the world in general. And to think, he's an anti-gun nut. Oh the irony!

It just goes to show: Guns don't kill people, crazy people do!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Compared to an AK-47's 7.62mm round, the .223 cal is a small round. Many NATO soldiers feel the 5.56mm "NATO round" (nearly identical to the .223 and interchangeable in some cases) is too small and would rather use a round similar to the 7.62mm.

Many hunters use larger calibers than .223! This is not a large round!
LMAO....I KNOW the size, weight,trajectory and cost both wholesale and retail of most ammo available over the counter and a bit about custom loads although not enough to carry a good conversation about them,but thanks for the lesson anyway because you gave it in good faith.I wasn't talking to you anyway.I asked the poster to clear up some questions I had about HIS post.And BTW.....223 is not classified by anyone(other than yourself of course and the previous poster) as a "small" caliber,although standing next to a .458 it does look small.It still falls under "HIGH POWERED".Does that mean I think it should be outlawed or banned or an AR-15 should be banned ? NO....I think if you want to own a Bazooka it should be legal if you have no prior offenses,but the politicians never asked me.Or you for that matter.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post

Point taken and duly noted.I do not agree though with your comment on the .223 and larger game at all.I knew a poacher very well that consistantly took down mule deer with a .22 and .22mag until he was finally caught and I actually worked a killing of a wild horse on BLM land that had been killed by a .22 at a fair distance through a rolled down pickup truck window.It's bullet placement on anything from a mouse to a elephant.Size means nothing to someone who knows how and where to place a shot.That's the name of the game.I'll bet if I was starving and all I had was a .223 in big game country,I wouldn't be hungry long and you'd be able to do the same just as easy.Sorry for hijacking the thread.Back to the topic.....So the libs are gonna take our guns away....that's interesting.Where did you all hear that?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
It's Obama, if he gets president the only people that will have guns are the criminals and when the crime escalates more than it already is because the criminals know law abiding citizens don't have them then all of you Obamites can thank your precious one for this. Along with everything else he is going to "fix" for us. I predict there are going to be some whining libs here in a year or so if he wins since he is just blowing hot air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections