Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
I'm not voting for Obama /Biden , but I have voted for Blue Dog Democrats on a regular basis in the past.

Both parties have their extremists: radical republicans favor the rich, radical democrats are social fascists who hate America and individual freedoms.
I agree with your post. Thank you for being adult and answering honest as you have. The radicals on both sides are the ones who have ruined the parties, both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Seriously, if you are voting for or considering voting for obama/biden then why? Which policies do you find attractive, where do you think they will land us in the longterm and what don't you like about the gop(please add the solution the dems have proposed in its place)?
this is for dems only. i just want to understand
** Free **

or ** you'll get more **

without even researching what and how

Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Social fascists?

Is that what your mentors at FOX News call "radical" Democrats?

And I wonder what you consider "radical", those who oppose lying the country into a disastrous and deadly war in Iraq?
Exactly!!! Bush is most definitely a damn radical Republican. You finally got something right.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Seriously, if you are voting for or considering voting for obama/biden then why? Which policies do you find attractive, where do you think they will land us in the longterm and what don't you like about the gop(please add the solution the dems have proposed in its place)?
Why would any one vote Republican? Just vote for the best qualified PERSON!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Because I can see and consider the big picture. I am not in favor of abortion but I can see that it is not the government's place to make that choice for me. Because I know that not all poor people are lazy and expecting handouts. I know that a lot of people work long, hard hours, and can't make ends meet in this economy. I believe in helping those in need. I would rather my taxes go toward health care than the occupation of Iraq. Because I don't believe that morals can be legislated. Because democrats are for the middle class.

What I don't understand is how, after the last 8 years, anyone could be voting republican.
Exactly!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
I've never considered myself a democrat - never have voted along party lines.
Until this year.
And that has more to do with me becoming repulsed by the GOP and its supporters, than it does Obama.
However, in this election I felt early on that Obama would make a great leader.

As for the reasons, this is very similar to another post a few weeks ago.
And this is JamesAbilene's answer, which I agree with and it was written better than I would have written it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Good post. Why I am voting for Obama:

I believe that he will take steps to get the deficit under control. I know he has several projects and plans that the current economic crisis will probably derail or slow down, but at least he understands that we cannot pay for war and have huge deficits without having income. He understands that the free ride we have been on cannot last forever.

I appreciate his interest in caring for those that are downtrodden in our society and, hopefully, reversing some of the cruel legislation passed since 1980--legislation that has cut funding for mentally handicapped people with few skills who are now living on the street--legislation that has redistributed money so that we are getting closer and closer to a two-class system--tax plans that favor those making over $250,000/year--legislation and deregulation that have created our current fiscal crisis in a culture of excessive greed and power mongering.

I know there are many that will argue that Obama will not do these things and will point out areas where he has helped cause some of these problems, but I believe he is sincere about correcting them and is our best choice to get that done.

I believe that Obama will restore our national credibility to the rest of the world. We have taken a drubbing in international relations and desperately need to mend our reputation.

I believe Obama will try diplomacy before a pre-emptive war.

I believe our country has a duty to provide minimal health care to its citizens. I believe all citizens should be able to have some kind of affordable health care--whether private insurance or a two tiered plan with the government helping only those most in need. I believe he will work toward that goal without breaking the bank or giving the store away.

I believe he will work to end the war in Iraq honorably and will work toward reducing our expenditures there while getting Iraq to help pay for the costs of rebuilding while protecting us from terrorists.

I am not going to say anything negative about his opponent. I hope others will not argue these points. I have read enough of these threads to know exactly how everyone on both sides feels about everything. These are my beliefs, and they are based on reading, listening, and trying to be objective--which is not easy to do with all of the lies floating around from both sides. Anyway, these are my feelings.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:17 PM

163 posts, read 237,477 times
Quote:
You know it does NOT matter, the more a given political allegiance no matter whether supporting Senator McCain or Senator Obama &/or republicans or democrats, attacks the other side of the fence, by obnoxiously questioning their intelligence, It just goes to fortify the audience you are trying to initiate a meaningful conversation with into their mind-set…..

Words like dumbo, idiot, terrorist, McSame, moron, facists etc… is not helping anyone, All it does is divide us… You are just feeding into knuckleheads who don’t want a united America, & no matter what I believe all of us want a very stable & powerful US…. I have faith in my fellow americans....

So come on my friends, challenge the policies, question the issues, do NOT fall into the trap of nonsensical bad-mouthing our democratically elected contenders. I honestly belive that both Senators Obama & McCain TRULY and HONESTLY care about our country as much as you & I do

Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
I am not voting for either party but you do not understand why anybody would vote Democrat? Geez, the last 8 years have been disastrous and you blame people for voting Democrat? Just about anybody can do a better job than George Bush.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
I thought the OP asked for Dems only!!!
Anyway, I'm voting Democrat because of the social issues that I side with. I side with pro-choice because the government should not be in my sexual business or personal business. I am pro gay marriage/civil unions and gay rights in general. I am a believer in the seperation of church and state. I believe that our healthcare system stinks and McCain's plan does not put us in a better situation, Obama's does. This is why I am voting democrat and these are not the only reasons why but just a quick answer for you.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,716 times
Default Obama

I'm a pretty moderate Democrat and even find myself siding with Republicans on some issues. Having said that, I truly believe that Obama is the best guy with the best idea's of the two. And while I respect John McCain and even considered voting for him when he ran previously, I just don't think he will be a very good President. His intentions are good but I think he is out of touch with what this country needs at this time.

I agree that the war in Iraq must come to an end because, while the cause was good, the logic for going into was faulty and maybe even purposely so. I am very much pro choice and I think this election could swing the Supreme Court if McCain wins. I'm not sure that I'm a fan of universal healthcare but I agree that children must be covered regardless. Beyond the issues, I think he is a person that the world community will respect because he doesn't downplay his intelligence and he is respectful and willing to listen to those that disagree with our way of life. His diverse background will even help in this respect, in my opinion. I also must say that I'm relatively young (31 years old) and I think its time for a new generation to claim the Presidency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections