Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
I can scarcely understand why you think your premise has any basis in fact. Let me explain, and please reply:

1) As we all know, CEO's are compensated regardless of how poorly the companies they run perform. Would you argue this?

2) Due to the continued push to "go to college" schools are pushing out more students than our country can even hire. Young adults are coming out of college with impressive degrees, only to find that there are too many college graduates with impressive degrees. Many of our college grads from the past several years have found it difficult to find a job in their field and so have had to work as admin. asst's, Starbuck's baristas, clothing store managers, etc. There are too many service jobs and not enough white collar jobs, because the CEO's you claim will provide jobs DO NOT PROVIDE JOBS IN THE US and only inflate their own salaries.

3) Please explain how any of these corporations pay substantial taxes, because the latest information out there soberly states that overwhelmingly, over the past several years, CORPORATIONS DO NOT PAY, AND HAVE NOT PAID THEIR FAIR SHARE OF TAXES. See this link if you are skeptical (by all means you should read it before you re-iterate such a silly argument again):

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | U.S. | Reuters

An excerpt from this article: Most U.S. and foreign corporations doing business in the United States avoid paying any federal income taxes, despite trillions of dollars worth of sales, a government study released on Tuesday said.

That article alone should inform anyone who might believe the OP's most baseless claim.

But, in case you really are fooled by this notion of 'trickle down' economics, here is another bit of info:

Wages in America: The Rich Get Richer

An exerpt from this article - and this is from 2004, so imagine how much worse we are now!: While the American worker and family are working harder, with longer hours, and still falling further and further behind the American CEO is 500 times better off since Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II. Think about that $200,000 equivalent pay you might have gotten if you were treated as equally or fairly as the CEO of the company you work for.

Well, that's all I have time for on this...

*** Feelin' the love for Obama/Biden '08 ***

Excellent, well thought-out and researched post!

The problem is, even as "Joe the Plumber" stated...people need to brush up on the FACTS.
Educating oneself is the key to really knowing what each of these candidates stand for. Unfortunately, a lot of people in this country (and on this forum) do not educate themselves on facts, but rather spew regurgitated, fabricated bits of information that may have been true 20 years ago, when their parents were voting and angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
To use your words, "THAT IS NOT" how taxes are calculated. The rate for a given tax bracket is only applied to income in that bracket's range, not for the entire income. The 33% bracket goes from $200300 to $357,700, so you'd only be taxed the extra 6.6% in your example on income between $200,300 and $250,000. It's not $750, but that guess was way closer than your own guess, which is off by a factor of 5.

And seriously, you think a married couple that makes $250K is currently paying over 50% in federal income taxes? It's time to find a better accountant - you're paying twice as much as you should.
im not sure if your are confused, but the current system is a bracket up to $357k, yes, and i used the range that obama keeps claiming and showed the different between the current and what would change under obama at the amount he keeps talking about. so no, i was not wrong or off. you are. i am not sure if you are confusing taxable income with or without deductions but you are confused regardless.

i make a good income, but i have a lot of deductions that brings me into a lower middle class bracket. i really have no idea what you are saying.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,932 times
Default Obama/Biden 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyJen View Post
My husband and I are both registered republicans. I have struggled to commit to voting Democratic but I must say after the debates, reading Mr. Obama's two books and watching the campaigns as closely as possible, there is no way I can not vote for the man that I believe is America's best hope for change.

If you are registered to vote, I urge you to please vote.
Welcome!!!

I'm glad to see that you've seen the light and decided to make the wise choice....Die-hard republicans will continue to cry all the way to election day....Makes he happy...

Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Welcome!!!

I'm glad to see that you've seen the light and decided to make the wise choice....Die-hard republicans will continue to cry all the way to election day....Makes he happy...
she was saying that if you plan on voting for obama please think again....lol

Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
I am making change right now...you are now on my ignore list.
That's right - just keep putting your fingers in your ears whenever you encounter someone whose views don't align with yours. That's a GREAT idea.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
she was saying that if you plan on voting for obama please think again....lol
What???? Where are you getting this?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pO1d...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r1ApR_-bHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDaO7...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyspC...amacrimes.com/

Last edited by brokerdave; 10-16-2008 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
My husband and I are both registered republicans. I have struggled to commit to voting Democratic but I must say after the debates, reading Mr. Obama's two books and watching the campaigns as closely as possible, there is no way I can not vote for the man that I believe is America's best hope for change.

If you are registered to vote, I urge you to please vote.
I think You need to read more closely.
"reading Mr. Obama's two books and watching the campaigns as closely as possible, there is no way I can NOT vote for the man"

She is voting for him.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
I think You need to read more closely.
"reading Mr. Obama's two books and watching the campaigns as closely as possible, there is no way I can NOT vote for the man"

She is voting for him.

Or maybe she missed a comma. Then it would read:

reading Mr. Obama's two books and watching the campaigns as closely as possible, there is no way, I can NOT vote for the man"

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 21,029 times
My understanding is Mr. Obama proposes that those uninsured who choose to, would be allowed access to the same insurance policy and premiums of the Senate. Regarding taxes and Robin Hood and Big Brother, please read the policy and understand it rather than accepting the BS being said about the proposed hikes. McCain proposes to tax my health care benefits, the full amount provided by my employer. It will cost alot more the $5k credit he is offering to allow me to choose any plan I want. You can not get medical insurance for 5K. Further, Obama proposes to honestly and readily admits, tax those who can afford it, give breaks to those who need it and not the ones causing the hardships (EXXON MOBIL) on the working class. For those who are interested, I/we are small business owners (Joe the plumber types) who will see an increase in our business taxes under Obama's policy, we are also registered Republicans; however, we believe a small sacrafice on our part for the bigger common good, is acceptable and admirable. No plan is perfect, I like that Mr. Obama admits that and sticks by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections