Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
78 pages.....good lord. Anyways, here is what Joe is complaining about and how may people this will really effect if taxes are bumped:

Checking facts: Will Obama raise small biz taxes? - Oct. 16, 2008
Yeah right, just like Clinton and H.W. weren't going to raise taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
General contractors working on commercial projects in the City of Toledo are not required to hold a license, but must be registered with the City of Toledo Taxation Department.

Their sub-contractors must hold a Sate of Ohio license, which has been registered with Building Inspection.

General contractors working on residential projects are required to hold a City of Toledo Home Remodeler License.

Contractors building new homes are not required to hold a license but their sub-contractors must hold a State of Ohio license, which has been registered with Building Inspection.

All journeymen and apprentices working in the City of Toledo must hold a City of Toledo license in their respective trade.

Building Inspection is responsible for examining all journeymen and registering all apprentices and contractors. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact the Division of Building Inspection at 419.245.1220

http://www.ci.toledo.oh.us/Departmen...8/Default.aspx

Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
78 pages.....good lord. Anyways, here is what Joe is complaining about and how may people this will really effect if taxes are bumped:

Checking facts: Will Obama raise small biz taxes? - Oct. 16, 2008

Ahhh the CNN factcheck

Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So now you judge an entire mans life on what? the hour or so worth of it you know of?
... in much the same way that many people did with Jeremiah Wright.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Yeah right, just like Clinton and H.W. weren't going to raise taxes.
What makes you so sure that McCain won't?

W. didn't, but it's a hell of a lot easier to cut taxes when you have a surplus to work with. That doesn't exist anymore, mainly because W. forgot to cut spending and reduce government like he claimed he would.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times
Quote:
You see, yours is the oppressive tendency of all leftists. Because you can't see the potential, you'll crush the hope in all others for your personal gain.

That's what this is about. It's not whether Joe can or can't. It's about whether Joe has the opportunity or sees the reward to try. That's what America is: A place of opportunity and reward.

When you take that away, you do two things. First, as I've implied, you take away the American Dream. Second, you impose your values on others which starts a war of sorts. They then try to impose their values on you. The result of this is that we're all forced to live according to the rules laid out by the latest winner.

That's not freedom. If you want freedom, you have to give freedom.
While that's would have been a great speech in the days of pre-colonial England, it doesn't mean anything in 2008. It was Joe's Team who effed up the very freedom of economic opportunity that you suggest is threatened. Republicans screwed this up. Now somebody else has to fix it.

Moreover, a tax increase of 3% hardly qualifies as threat to freedom.

Besides ... yer boy can't seem to pay the taxes he owes already.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
What makes you so sure that McCain won't?
I think he will also. However, because of his earmark free history and challenges to BS spending, I believe he'll also cut spending.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
While that's would have been a great speech in the days of pre-colonial England, it doesn't mean anything in 2008. It was Joe's Team who effed up the very freedom of economic opportunity that you suggest is threatened. Republicans screwed this up. Now somebody else has to fix it.
I see no direction in this section of your post. Pre-colonial England to Joe's team?

If you value freedom, then you're willing to give it to others. If you value the American Dream, then you don't support policies that damage hope in those who have the potential to improve society by fulfilling their dreams.

Please respond to the points rather than going off into left field about Republicans or England or the year, etc. Not one of those is relevant, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Moreover, a tax increase of 3% hardly qualifies as threat to freedom.
It does for a segment of the population. I think it's only common sense to see that with every increment of tax, a segment decides it's not worth it. Those people are oppressed by those who support the tax.

Quote:
Besides ... yer boy can't seem to pay the taxes he owes already.
Again, I don't see why that's relevant. We're talking about the American Dream and you're connecting the American Dream to a fellow citizens tax status. I don't see how you make these connections.

Please explain how crushing the dreams of some is justified by Joe not yet paying a tax.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,218 times
Default People like you miss the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Well...his real name is Sam and he is not a plumber...Sam the faux plumber who makes 40,000.00/year. He is nowhere close to buying a business and I read somewhere he was a felon of some kind...

Another McSame failed gimmick.
It's not about where he is now; it's about where he want's to go and whether or not he still will have the same opportunity to do so under an Obama tax plan. And so what if he has a felony?What does that have to do with taxes on small businesses and middle class families? That is the narrative in which the "Joe the Plumber" topic should be discussed.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Yeah, but don't let that stop you from helping smear him! I never met a liberal who let facts get in the way.
I wasn't smearing him. Go back and read any posts I've done on this Joe the Plumber guy. And I'm also not a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections