Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,635,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsiderlookingin View Post
Wow you people will stop at nothing. How much have you given and how much have you made in 9 years. How many kids do you have? Have you paid their college tuition? You don't really have to answer these question. I really don't care. Who really cares about this BS. Well time for me to turn in for the night. I will pray for all of you.

I have given a higher percentage of my income to charity than Biden or Obama. I donate time also. Wonder when the last time Biden or Barry served soup at a homeless shelter?

Charity is something that individuals should do. Government should not be taking money to filter it through their corrupt hands and let the rest trickle down to those in need, and then only if they go through a bunch of govt red tape.

More money missing from my check could NEVER feel good. Going with a group of people to help re-roof a house for a poor elderly couple: PRICELESS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,108 times
What about the phrase "charity starts at home"?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 AM

472 posts, read 872,702 times
My wife and I make over a $100K... and we've averaged Maybe $100-200 a year to charity over the last 5-6 years that I've 'reported' on my returns. Of course we've given more... in time and money... but those are the charitable recipits we collect. That's how much do we report on our taxes... our account advises us other wise... he says take the maximium allowed.

So in ten years my wife and I have earned maybe a $Million. I've collected maybe $700-800 in charitable recipits. That's way less than 1% Does that make me a horrible person? I've also helped out family and friends when I could... took in a relative that needs constant medical care and as a musician have donated my time to countless charitable causes. We've given to local charities... schools, churches, Boy Scouts that I've never reported or collected recipits for.

I respect McCain and anyone in the highest brackets for giving large contributions, however there is an immediate benefit in reporting it.... a HUGE DEDUCTION. You pay taxes on less income.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,248,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Link please?
Pork or beef?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Has it not occurred to any of you people that he donated more than he claimed?

I give more to the salvation army in clothing than he claimed.
I have never claimed a tax exemption. Ever. And I "give" routinely. I just don't see why I should get a "break" simply for helping out. I think that's ridiculous. It certainly is a possibility that "conservatives" simply milk every penny they "give" by being sure to get that tax exemption for it. Who knows?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:49 AM

395 posts, read 511,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Yep! Obama and Biden will be taking our $$$ and giving it away as welfare. And voters want this? Geez!!!

Oh..so Biden is a bad guy because he doesn't give money to the needy? But when they have policies that want to help the needy, then that's bad too? No winning with you.

1,599 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Cheap communist bastard.

2,905 posts, read 7,352,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
My wife and I make over a $100K... and we've averaged Maybe $100-200 a year to charity over the last 5-6 years that I've 'reported' on my returns. Of course we've given more... in time and money... but those are the charitable recipits we collect. That's how much do we report on our taxes... our account advises us other wise... he says take the maximium allowed.

So in ten years my wife and I have earned maybe a $Million. I've collected maybe $700-800 in charitable recipits. That's way less than 1% Does that make me a horrible person? I've also helped out family and friends when I could... took in a relative that needs constant medical care and as a musician have donated my time to countless charitable causes. We've given to local charities... schools, churches, Boy Scouts that I've never reported or collected recipits for.

I respect McCain and anyone in the highest brackets for giving large contributions, however there is an immediate benefit in reporting it.... a HUGE DEDUCTION. You pay taxes on less income.
Exactly my point.

These people need to pick on Biden for something else, this attack has no merit......

Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,394,955 times
For all their talk about giving others a helping hand, both Obama and Biden are a huge joke when it comes to charitable giving. Obama's increased considerably after delaring for the presidential race, but it is a smaller % than the average American. The largest two benefactors of his giving are Rev. Jeremiah Wright's Trinty UCC and a Chicago dance academy. So very Obama, talk a good game.
In contrast, do a little google search and check out the humanitarian acts and charitable giving of John and Cindy McCain.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,918,067 times
obama gave ACORN $1 million + on the books, does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections