Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,375 times

Advertisements

It will be a breath of fresh air to have a president with this kind of upbringing and influence...

"Free-spirited wanderer set Obama’s path

‘What is best in me I owe to her,’ candidate has said of his idealistic mother"

Free-spirited mother set Obama's path - The New York Times - MSNBC.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times
That was a lovely article. I admire this type of woman - involved, giving, idealistic. Many won't understand, but I do, never having followed the conventional but only my dreams and ideals which have given me a rich, well-lived life. That are so many benefits to being fearless of, and welcoming, change.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
She sounds like a good loving mom who likes these countries. If Obama says his mom was worried how to pay her mediacal bills, wasn't that something he could have helped with since she did so much for him? Now he wants everybody to get Health insurance, which is great, but the way he wants is is bad. In Europe there is a socialized health system and you still have to pay a lot and are not free to choose everything your self, because things are to expensive. So there are positive things and many negative parts of that system and right now it is getting to the point that it is almost not affordable and you better not over 65 or the doctors will send you away as fast as you have come in by telling you "you are getting older and this is what comes with it", just because there is no money for it and the doctors are getting paid the same if they have 100 patients or 500 so guess what is happening...

Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
Nice article. I like to read about parents who love and care for their children.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,189 times
Default His Mother Had Health Insurance but Preexisting Condition

What bothers me is at first Obama stated his mother had NO health insurance and, with two adult children, was worried during the last part of her life about her bills. First of all, her bills would be cancelled by the companies because there is no spouse to pay them, or they would be paid out of a lien of her home. Secondly, her son, Barack was 34, a Magna *** Laude Grad at from Harvard, a practicing attorney at a Chicago law firm and an Associate Attorney at the Chicago Law School, teaching constitutional law. Don't tell me for a minute, he couldn't counsel her on the bills (since there was nobody legally responsible for her debts) or pay them himself.
Then last night during the date, voila!!!!! Mom did have insurance but was arguing with insurance companies over their insistence it was a pre-existing situation.
Obama's story changed..........I can't buy into his story because of the circumstances which would have occurred. He's a con man.

[quote=bentlebee;3138720]She sounds like a good loving mom who likes these countries. If Obama says his mom was worried how to pay her mediacal bills, wasn't that something he could have helped with since she did so much for him? Now he wants everybody to get Health insurance, which is great, but the way he wants is is bad.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
I can't read your link, so if this was explained within forgive me.

Here is my question --- why the devotion to a woman who chose men over her children? I call that a negletful mother at best and an out and out skank at worst. Does her abandonment of her son play better because she was living in exotic locales then if she were hanging out at the local bar picking up 'uncle whomever' every weekend?
I don't know....I am a mother and I take the responsibility seriously and would not put men or idealism (that seems to come with men) over my duties as a mother. And I cannot respect another women who does choose that path. Was stanley an activist? Yes. A good mother? Hardly.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I can't read your link, so if this was explained within forgive me.

Here is my question --- why the devotion to a woman who chose men over her children? I call that a negletful mother at best and an out and out skank at worst. Does her abandonment of her son play better because she was living in exotic locales then if she were hanging out at the local bar picking up 'uncle whomever' every weekend?
I don't know....I am a mother and I take the responsibility seriously and would not put men or idealism (that seems to come with men) over my duties as a mother. And I cannot respect another women who does choose that path. Was stanley an activist? Yes. A good mother? Hardly.
It's not up to you to say whether or not she was a good mother...that is for her children to decide.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
It's not up to you to say whether or not she was a good mother...that is for her children to decide.
But did she abandon them to take off with men or to 'live her life'?

If she didn't, then I apologize to her memory for defaming her.
If she did, then she is a bad mother. The fact that obama grew up to be what he is would be more of a reflection on his grandparents sacrifice to raise him then either of his absentee parents. And frankly, he broke the odds -- most kids growing up with a deadbeat dad and a mom that left them to 'find herself' tend to grow up with addition problems, legal problems, and/or commitement problems themselves. It is a tragic thing, not something that needs to be romanticized because obama turned out allright.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
sending your kid to attend an excellent prep school is NOT abandonment... he lived with his grandparents. he got a better education than if he had stayed in Jakarta. People send their kids away to school all the time, mine did, except I had to live in a dorm.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,684,489 times
She left his butt with granny so she could travel the world and spread hate for America and learn marxism.

She was a terrible role model for him, can't you tell by his lack of good judgement.

Granny was to damn old to take care of a totally mixed up Barry who was depressed about who he was and became a druggie and an alcoholic because his commi mommy dumped him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections