Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
it doesn't matter. the technology is already here. its a matter of deciding which to use. i for one would like to see solar be implemented into cars and homes. homes would be really easy to do with a federal tax credit for it. it would spawn a new industry overnight and everywhere. china has been pushing solar several years now and is having incredible success all across Europe. simple things like adding windows in factories along the top row of the building taking advantage of natural light. simple little things could change everything. another thing would be removed pink panther insulation as the standard and pushing that other stuff, the pink boards with foil on each side (15 X more efficient). that pink panther lobbyed their brand years ago. its time to update building codes.
Really?

We should drive solar powered cars? Pink panther lobbied for their brand and that is why we are not energy independent?

Start another thread about energy independence and I will tell you the truth regarding the engineering, or the lack of funding for the engineering, that pink panther had nothing to do with.

Is that what you tell people when they buy houses? That the pink panther insulate, or the sky-lights, are somehow energy efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
OP thanks for voting. I could care less how people vote, I do care that people vote.

That is arguably the most ridiculous thing that I've heard this election season. Thanks for posting rush "I need another pill" limbaughs reaction to this endorsement.

Do the McCainiacs have any individual thoughts anymore, or does the extreme nutjob right wing media do the thinking for you?

Please carry on and call out a decorated war hero and life long civil servant as a racist. Pathetic smear-mongering is going to be the death of the repubs hopefully.

"have any individual thoughts anymore"

It's called reality. When a group of people reach the same correct conclusion, that's reality. The reason it appears that they all think alike is that they've seen through the BS that the other side has put out there and reached the opposite conclusion. For example, Obama is promising increased spending for health care, education and job training, alternative energy research and development, infrastructure, corrections and drug rehabilitation, etc., etc., etc.,....The problem is timing. We're running huge deficits with a terrible economy and all sorts of trouble in the markets. It is not the time for increasing federal spending, period! And raising taxes is economic suicide. He couldn't deliver on his promises if he wanted to. The safe choice is McCain.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 PM

25 posts, read 28,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
....McCain.

Why? Quite a few reasons. I've thought about the people each man will call to serve in his administration. They are both surrounded by and have access to powerful and intelligent people. That might be a push.

I've thought about the balance of power; checks and balances as defined by our constitution. I don't like Nancy Pelosi and all she stands for and I don't want Congress to have a rubber-stamp relationship with a POTUS--and I think this will happen with Obama. So score one for McCain there.

But the biggie? As ambivalent as I am about the war in Iraq and as much as I wish we could just un-involve ourselves with little consequence--well I just don't think this can be done. And if Obama gets in office, decimates the military, eliminates the middle class and for all intents and purposes, changes the United States as we know it today from a formidable but benevelent country to one without power---well, it's going to unleash chaos in the world.

Right now, we may not be winning any popularity contests but I firmly believe a LOT of individual nutcases, organized terrorist cells, corrupt and power hungry countries, etc., are held in check by the "big bully across the pond". What would happen if they no longer feared the military power of the United States? I don't want to think about that.

So even though I fear that Obama will win this election and change the world as we know it today, I will be voting for McCain on November 4.
See? That's a pretty legit reason for voting for McCain. That makes more sense than all this talk of Obama being a terrorist and what not. If one wack job steps down from office, another ought to replace him to show the world that America isn't screwing around with its global absolutisms. Your argument makes sense and I think is a very impressive approach for choosing a candidate.

That being said, I still will not vote for McCain. As everyone and their baby sister have been saying, if he dies, Palin becomes president. Palin doesn't have the same umph as McCain when it comes to that stare-down-the-enemy foreign policy. I think we'd be in REAL trouble, by your same logic, if Palin became America's figurehead.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
And if Obama died, we'd get a new prez who thinks "j-o-b-s" is a three-letter word and that Prez. Roosevelt went on TV during the Great Depression. Yay!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
Quote:
Really?

We should drive solar powered cars? Pink panther lobbied for their brand and that is why we are not energy independent?

Start another thread about energy independence and I will tell you the truth regarding the engineering, or the lack of funding for the engineering, that pink panther had nothing to do with.

Is that what you tell people when they buy houses? That the pink panther insulate, or the sky-lights, are somehow energy efficient.

you think because i have a real estate license that what i say offers no truth? i have a b.s. in industrial manufacturing - robotics engineering. i assure you, i had some great professors that taught me applied physics. that's right applied, we studied everyday applications, like insulation, windows panes, solar power, hydraulic/pneumatic power. electric motors are extremely efficient. i am from Detroit. i know what technologies exist here in the US that most people have no idea are available. they exist in Detroit.

an electic car could be a very real thing in 2 years on the road. with federal funding. but i dont understand why you think the government needs to pay for these things. solar panels could eliminate 100% of the need for the power grid. the latest solar panels are actually films and invisible and can be painted to match any color or texture. did you know that? they havent been big gaudy things in 10-15 years. you can also use the same technology to heat pipes just from the sun.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"have any individual thoughts anymore"

It's called reality. When a group of people reach the same correct conclusion, that's reality. The reason it appears that they all think alike is that they've seen through the BS that the other side has put out there and reached the opposite conclusion. For example, Obama is promising increased spending for health care, education and job training, alternative energy research and development, infrastructure, corrections and drug rehabilitation, etc., etc., etc.,....The problem is timing. We're running huge deficits with a terrible economy and all sorts of trouble in the markets. It is not the time for increasing federal spending, period! And raising taxes is economic suicide. He couldn't deliver on his promises if he wanted to. The safe choice is McCain.
So instead of realizing that we have serious problems we should pretend that they don't exist and make the safe choice? Is the safe choice going to tuck us in at night and ignore the problems that will plague this country over the next century in order to make us feel better today?

What good does the "safe choice" do when we are faced with a reality that the "safe choice" would rather ignore?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post

you think because i have a real estate license that what i say offers no truth? i have a b.s. in industrial manufacturing - robotics engineering. i assure you, i had some great professors that taught me applied physics. that's right applied, we studied everyday applications, like insulation, windows panes, solar power, hydraulic/pneumatic power. electric motors are extremely efficient. i am from Detroit. i know what technologies exist here in the US that most people have no idea are available. they exist in Detroit.

an electic car could be a very real thing in 2 years on the road. with federal funding. but i dont understand why you think the government needs to pay for these things. solar panels could eliminate 100% of the need for the power grid. the latest solar panels are actually films and invisible and can be painted to match any color or texture. did you know that? they havent been big gaudy things in 10-15 years
Electric motors are terribly inefficient. Heard of the Carnot cycle or thermodynamics? Solar cars? How? You brought it up.

Electric cars, sure. But were does the electricity come from? Coal? How efficient is mining?

The latest solar panels that you refer to are silicon thin films that can't be produced at the scale that would create enough energy to make any ROI. Solar paints are even less efficient.

The government would serve us right by paying for the basic research to develop alternative fuels. Your examples are only made possible because of government funding in basic research (the thin film example by Japan) and failure to fund such efforts will get us nowhere.

Reading Pop Sci doesn't make a scientist (by the way my work is in next months issue) but being a skeptic and crunching the numbers does.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I didn't live through the Carter years, but enacting Carters energy policy at the time may have led us to a present day situation were we would not be reliant on an oil based economy.

Would energy independence be a "hot stove" that we should run away from?
The WPT caused energy cost to increase at a time when we had a similar frail economy with inflation being driven by fuel costs. Sound familiar? Right now inflation is not very high because the economy is in the tank. What happens is that when the government comes in with a no limit credit card and starts consuming, prices increase due to demand. At the same time if taxes are raised, the cost of goods and services will increase for that reason as well. Washington meddling with the economy always has the same results. The final result of the WPT when it was finally repealed was the lowest domestic oil production in 20 yrs. making us even more dependent on OPEC crude.

• Carter's last year: Prime Interest rate, 21%. Inflation, 13.5%. Unemployment, 7%. The so-called “Misery Index,” which Carter used to great effect in his 1976 campaign to win election, 20.5%.

• Reagan’s last year: Prime Interest rate, 11%. Inflation, 4.1%. Unemployment, 5.5%. Misery Index, 9.6%.

• Bush today: Prime Interest rate, 7.2%. Inflation, 4.8%. Unemployment, 6.1%. Misery Index, 10.9%.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
Quote:
Electric motors are terribly inefficient. Heard of the Carnot cycle or thermodynamics? Solar cars? How? You brought it up.

Electric cars, sure. But were does the electricity come from? Coal? How efficient is mining?

The latest solar panels that you refer to are silicon thin films that can't be produced at the scale that would create enough energy to make any ROI. Solar paints are even less efficient.

The government would serve us right by paying for the basic research to develop alternative fuels. Your examples are only made possible because of government funding in basic research (the thin film example by Japan) and failure to fund such efforts will get us nowhere.

Reading Pop Sci doesn't make a scientist (by the way my work is in next months issue) but being a skeptic and crunching the numbers does.
i am willing to pick up the issues to see what published you on. what is it regarding?

well then stick to your numbers you're obviously one of those guys who can't think outside the box. and i haven't picked up a pop sci in many years. my reference to a couple technologies that would be a smart part of a greater picture.

you are very arrogant in your assumptions and it keeps making you look like an ass.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Why the shock? Are you aware of what G-dubs has done in the past 8 years to stop funding for the DOE's advanced energy research division?

Do you understand that if Carter funded the research to make us energy independent during his term that we would have saved over a trillion dollars? To put it in other words, if we would have been independent from foreign oil we would have saved over $1,000,000,000,000 in the past twenty years. That would only be on money sent away for oil, not money made from technology. Look into places like Golden, CO that G-dubs decided to shut down (and re-open later for photo-ops) and then take a look at what the Iraq war cost.

We could have been free from middle-eastern energy a long time ago if the money was spent well. The "fundamentals" of this economy don't support republican plans.
Sounds great!

Fanciful really!

How does Obama do that without punching a hole in mother earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections