Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:31 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Were in the phrase "Race, all the way, baby." does it not assume that Colin Powell is endorsing Obama because they're both black? Were in refering to both of them as "brothers" do you not race-bait?

Is this an example of the right saying that the Obama campaign is playing the race card? If so please let me know how this isn't racist?
No, it's PC BS. Since Obama has used the term himself your objection to the term is mitigated, to say the least.

You're all over the place here. Who said Obama was playing the race card, in this instance.

No one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why do you Dems say that to ANYONE who says they have thought about the issues and decided to vote for McCain?
I can't speak for the Obama folks, but I have noticed that a lot of them are young. I expect they are too young to remember the Carter years. If you lived through Carter's WPT and his otherwise meddling in the economy and the record high inflation and interest rates, not to mention the misery index we ended up with, you don't ever want to go through that again. It's like a child who touches a hot stove. It only takes one time. After that you learn to leave it alone.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I'm sorry to tell you, but you are very much misinformed. Obama has no intention of "decimating" the military. He--and McCain, for that matter--have both publicly stated that there is a lot of waste in the military and money can be saved by reducing that waste. Nor does he have any plans of "eliminating" the middle class--quite the contrary. In fact, so much of what you wrote is misinformed, I'm wondering where you're getting your information. Do you really think Colin Powell, a lifelong military man, would vote for Obama if he thought Obama was going to weaken the military???? In any case, you do realize that you've made a decision of whom to vote for based on fear, right? That's precisely what McCain wants you to believe about Obama: that he is a man to fear. That's what the McCain campaign's smear efforts want you to believe. Don't let them mess with your mind, man. They're lying to you.

Newsvine - Warren Buffet Says: I Pay Less Tax Than My Cleaning Lady, Or When I Was Paper Boy -- McCain/Palin Have Even Worse Deal in Store For Middle Class
"Obama has no intention of "decimating" the military."

Believe everything you hear?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, it's PC BS. Since Obama has used the term himself your objection to the term is mitigated, to say the least.

You're all over the place here. Who said Obama was playing the race card, in this instance.

No one.
I'm all over the place here? Please re-read your posts in this thread and let me know how what I quoted isn't playing the race card?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I can't speak for the Obama folks, but I have noticed that a lot of them are young. I expect they are too young to remember the Carter years. If you lived through Carter's WPT and his otherwise meddling in the economy and the record high inflation and interest rates, not to mention the misery index we ended up with, you don't ever want to go through that again. It's like a child who touches a hot stove. It only takes one time. After that you learn to leave it alone.
I didn't live through the Carter years, but enacting Carters energy policy at the time may have led us to a present day situation were we would not be reliant on an oil based economy.

Would energy independence be a "hot stove" that we should run away from?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:43 PM

81 posts, read 103,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
You were going to vote for McCain all along so you were not "undecided" like you say.

End of story.
How the hell do you know if he was going to vote for Mccain all along or not.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Obama has no intention of "decimating" the military."

Believe everything you hear?

Please provide any substantial evidence that Obama would "decimate" the military anymore then McCain would? Keep in mind that McCain himself said in the debates that he would cut military spending. Would that mean that he may be against subsidizing private US corporations like Halliburton or Blackwater? After all their employees in Iraq are doing much better than our military aren't they?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
....McCain.

Why? Quite a few reasons. I've thought about the people each man will call to serve in his administration. They are both surrounded by and have access to powerful and intelligent people. That might be a push.

I've thought about the balance of power; checks and balances as defined by our constitution. I don't like Nancy Pelosi and all she stands for and I don't want Congress to have a rubber-stamp relationship with a POTUS--and I think this will happen with Obama. So score one for McCain there.

But the biggie? As ambivalent as I am about the war in Iraq and as much as I wish we could just un-involve ourselves with little consequence--well I just don't think this can be done. And if Obama gets in office, decimates the military, eliminates the middle class and for all intents and purposes, changes the United States as we know it today from a formidable but benevelent country to one without power---well, it's going to unleash chaos in the world.

Right now, we may not be winning any popularity contests but I firmly believe a LOT of individual nutcases, organized terrorist cells, corrupt and power hungry countries, etc., are held in check by the "big bully across the pond". What would happen if they no longer feared the military power of the United States? I don't want to think about that.

So even though I fear that Obama will win this election and change the world as we know it today, I will be voting for McCain on November 4.

Welcome to neoconservativism where reality of evil is real.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I didn't live through the Carter years, but enacting Carters energy policy at the time may have led us to a present day situation were we would not be reliant on an oil based economy.

Would energy independence be a "hot stove" that we should run away from?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:57 PM

81 posts, read 103,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Powell would never have endorsed a white liberal democrat. Period. Race, all the way, baby.
I don't think Powell or any other Republican would endorse such an extreme liberal if race wasn't involved in their decision.

Last edited by AnotherPatriot; 10-19-2008 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections