Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times

Advertisements

obama did earmark $1 million to michelle's boss' company so she could get a pay raise to $350k a year tho!

but he isn't an elitist, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
obama did earmark $1 million to michelle's boss' company so she could get a pay raise to $350k a year tho!

but he isn't an elitist, lol.

Source that documents where the earmark money went?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Did the Kennedys pay to redecorate the White House? Didn't think so...
Try again... might want to quickly check on those statements before posting them.

Quote:
When Jacqueline Kennedy became First Lady, she was greatly disappointed in the condition of the White House and set about restoring it as a showcase of American history, art and craftsmanship. Though some characterized her efforts as redecorating, Jacqueline Kennedy was engaged in the scholarship of restoration. She combed the storerooms of the Smithsonian and traced furnishings sold from the White House and had them donated back. She also supervised the publication of The White House: A Historic Guide, of which the sales paid for costs of restoration.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
Quote:
Did the Kennedys pay to redecorate the White House? Didn't think so...
And Nancy Reagan and her dishes? But neither is the controversy here. If you come into my house, you tell me you are just like me, you know my difficulties and you know how hard it is to make things work. You tell me that you are different, you are like me, you will not waste money on frivilous things, especially not money that hardworking Americans have transferred to your control, and then you allow yourself to be dressed like a pageant queen and let your family get a whole wardrobe too, at the campaign's expense. And I tell you, you are a liar and an elitist.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Quote:
Here's who is jealous of Cindy McCain and Sarah Palin:
Please. Michelle Obama has class and dignity that Sarah Palin and Cindy McCain can't buy.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
My friends and I spit out our coffee when Michelle Obama came on the View and told the hosts that her dress was from Black and White in an attempt to make her seem like "one of us." So not the case.
So Michelle Obama wearing a $150 dress from her local Black Market/White House store made you spit out your coffee, but Sarah Palin spending what more people make in one year on clothing and from two of the most high-end retailers does not? Another example of the hypocrisy of the right.

Last edited by TrippingJay; 10-22-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM

365 posts, read 1,253,322 times
I don't care what they spend. It's RNC money, not tax money, so if it's ok with the RNC, why is it such a big deal? I mean, I understand they're appealing to a base that could never ever afford such clothes, but it's all just part of the hypocrisy of campaigning: You only have to sound like you're one of them, not actually be one of them. And she has to appear to be someone the base can aspire to, and she has to look like a world leader. There's an image that must be portrayed, and it costs money to get that image.

And I'm not arguing that Dems don't do it. I'm just saying it has to be recognized for what it is. Like someone else said, if my DH were the candidate, or if I were the veep candidate, you'd bet I'd take the money/clothes. I could never, on my own, afford to look like a First Lady should look without somebody else's money. We've all heard the advice to dress for the job you want, not the job you have, if you want to get ahead in the company.

And I guess if you're going to be dragging your kids out at every appearance, they need to look good, too.

Just an aside: A couple of months ago, Michelle Obama was on The View, and they all went nuts over the dress she was wearing, and it turned out it was only $139 or something...

Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
Please. Michelle Obama has class and dignity that Sarah Palin and Cindy McCain can't buy.
By being angry!!!!

Cindy mccain spend many many years on charities and not saying things like she was never proud in her adult life.....Michelle obama has a lot to learn and that is why she is kept away from the campaign.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
She can wear what she wants, just don't tell me she is just like me and understands my life. Admit she is being thrust into the world of the elitist millionaires and she likes it.
Absolutely! How ridiculous that she touts herself as "one of us" yet managed to spend 125k getting accessorized at luxury stores such as Needless Markup & Saks.

Quote:
I wonder how much more money Obama has for his monthly living expenses than his half brother in Kenya? It's way more than ten times more, I guarantee you that!
What does that have to do with the discussion at hand?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
By being angry!!!!

Cindy mccain spend many many years on charities and not saying things like she was never proud in her adult life.....Michelle obama has a lot to learn and that is why she is kept away from the campaign.
*L* I can't believe some of your responses. See when Cindy McCain steals drugs from her own medical charity and is investigated by the DEA, that no longer allows her to be painted as a saint. She had a problem. Ok, fine. I don't really care. But she is no saint. And rich ladies do charity work like she does. It's common and not the fast-track to sainthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections