Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I hope you enjoy your trip to NYC! I'm originally from there.
Thanks! Yes, by election day, we'll be so sick of hearing about the election that the last thing we'll want to do is be home watching the tv. The ladies in my bible study have taken some great field trips in the past, so I'm really looking forward to it. We may be little old ladies, but we know how to have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wife and I are voting today per the leadership of Normie.

Have you voted? If not then do so now.
Woo hoo! Way to go Tuborg, and I hope you wear your "I voted" sticker proudly.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
I'm having a ball wearing my I voted sticker....I really need a pin, or some more glue pretty soon...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Thanks! The OP is from VA and makes it sound like you can just go up to the polling place and vote (lines empty today, etc.). Aside from this, there is NO early voting in VA, so if you don't qualify to use an absentee ballot, you can't do it. Then you need to get the form.

"Virginia allows early in person voting if you qualify to use an absentee ballot."
Virginia needs to change that, it needs to be made easier and more convenient to vote, as some people are actually busy. Got in a conversation with a guy that was against early voting, blah blah blah. I let him finish, then asked him, "if it allows the opportunity for more people to vote, please explain how that is a bad thing?" He opened his mouth a couple of times then just walked off

NC has had early voting for a while now, and it is great. I voted today at one of early voting sites around the county. It's a cold windy miserable day, snow flurries, yet there was still a short line at 11:00 this morning. Poll worker said it has been like that all day.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Last year I voted from Australia in the primaries. I had never voted by mail before and did so again this year and will plan to do so from now on. Beats standing in line and I get it in early. I am all for convenience to make sure Americans vote.

BTW, in Australia their citizens are required to vote at their electioins.. if they don't they get fined.. funny huh?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Virginia needs to change that, it needs to be made easier and more convenient to vote, as some people are actually busy.
I totally agree. Here in Virginia many people work long hours and have lots of unexpected business trips. Last election, a huge number of people said they meant to vote but just couldn't go on Nov. 4th or they tried and the lines were too long.

Every election, we hear govt. officials complaining about how small the percentage of people voting is. Well, they need to put their money where their mouth is. Virginia needs to go the early voting route without any silly "absentee" preconditions.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I heard in Oregon people can vote electronically? Is this true, I wonder how they would authenticate the voter if this were the case...

Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I heard in Oregon people can vote electronically? Is this true, I wonder how they would authenticate the voter if this were the case...
You still have to show ID when you go to vote--after they check your ID then you can choose to use their computer. Or do you mean voting from your home computer?????

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You still have to show ID when you go to vote--after they check your ID then you can choose to use their computer. Or do you mean voting from your home computer?????
NC apparently will not look at ID. The man at sign-in behind me was told by the poll worker that they are not allowed to look at ID's. They only ask name, and after they enter that, ask your address, for verification.

After all ID's are easy to obtain, so their value is questionable.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
In Oregon, everyone has the option to vote by mail. They have done since 1998.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections