Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times

Advertisements

Sarah Palin: The view from Alaska | Salon

Palin, and by extension, the McCain campaign, has hijacked our state for political purposes, much to the chagrin of the tens of thousands of Alaskans who loathe what she stands for. Her much-touted popularity among residents has eroded over the past six weeks to somewhere in the mid-60s -- not exactly what you'd expect in support of a home girl making a White House run.

There are no doubt a variety of reasons for this decline, but many Alaskans are embarrassed -- not just by her, but for our state and for ourselves. What's with the smug posturing, recently adopted fake Minnesota accent, and that gosh-darn-it hockey mom pitch? Maybe it plays well in Peoria (and presumably Duluth), but it's all an act. "She's definitely put on a new persona since she's been a vice-presidential candidate," says Kertulla, who has worked closely with Palin for the past 18 months. "I don't even recognize her."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Is this a real Alaskan in comparison to the majority of fake Alaskans that are happy with her.

With a 68% approval rating I would say she is still doing o.k.

Of course a reporter that did not vote for her before didn't like her then so what are the chances he was going to like her now.

This was an Opinion piece, correct?

Old 10-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Didn't you read it? He explained the difference between real Alaskans and the Oil Alaskans.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Didn't you read it? He explained the difference between real Alaskans and the Oil Alaskans.
So she has been there practically her whole life and he has been there half his life but he is the real Alaskan.

No, he just does not agree with her policies and ideals. This does not mean he is the real Alaskan.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:47 PM

The influx of money hungry oil folk in the 60s and 70s bastardized the true Alaska. His talking points address that.

Alaksa was not meant to be the land of strip malls, car dealers and molestation of natural resources and God's creatures.

People like Palin are taking the very things that make Alaska special and unique and destroying them.

Polar Bears? Who cares.

Wolves? Shoot 'em from planes.

Polluted Lakes? Let them overflow into Salmon breeding water bodies

ANWR? Drill, baby drill. Who cares what it does to the environment.

Global Warming? Neither the creation nor the fault of human beings.

There is a wonderful Native American Proverb- We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children.

She is not taking very good care of her children's legacy.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Nick Jans also wrote this last summer regarding aerial wolf hunting:

newsminer.com • Opponents of state wolf control are Alaskans

Quote:
Lake Lucille comes to mind...

Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Real Alaskans have been exploiting this place from the time of the Russians. Furs, timber, gold, oil. Why is Alaska the onlt state singled out as "exploited".

Other states come to mind for "oil". How about the oil fields in CA? I still see the pumps going up and down in LA county and beyond. Oil rigs off Louisiana and Texas. The old oil rigs in OK and PA. Oil rigs off of SoCal coastline, oil rigs in MT and ND. I mean, come on!

The list goes on, but Alaska is the one that gets the finger (pointed or wagged at, or just raised at us). Look, I'm not a major fan of the wolf control via plane. As far as polluted lakes are concerned, I would drink out of about 99% of ours (and our rivers too for that matter) before I would touch an unsterilized drop in the lower 48.

I love Alaska, and I'm not a big Palin fan, but blaming her for the carpetbaggers of Alaska in the '70s is a stretch. P-girl, I like you and enjoy your posts, but this was a little over the top.

PS

I hate loggers.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Mal, I am not blaming Palin for what started before her time. But I do blame her for not having the foresight to try to repair some of the damage that has been done rather than continue to molest it.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Well, I sure wouldn't drink out of Lake Lucille...

Sarah Palin’s dead lake | Water Conservation News -NUPRANA (http://news.nuprana.com/2008/09/19/sarah-palins-dead-lake/ - broken link)

I don't think anyone's blaming her for the 70's migration, Mal.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
The influx of money hungry oil folk in the 60s and 70s bastardized the true Alaska. His talking points address that.

Alaksa was not meant to be the land of strip malls, car dealers and molestation of natural resources and God's creatures.

People like Palin are taking the very things that make Alaska special and unique and destroying them.

Polar Bears? Who cares.

Wolves? Shoot 'em from planes.

ANWR? Drill, baby drill. Who cares what it does to the environment.

Global Warming? Neither the creation nor the fault of human beings.

There is a wonderful Native American Proverb- We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children.

She is not taking very good care of her children's legacy.
I'm from Okla ..pretty much the same here with people and their oil/energy minded politics that do not care about anything but their $. And we have the highest teen suicide rates, one of the highest teen pregnancy and 17% of our people do not have health insurance, and one the highest in the nation for child abuse/neglect...

But we have Oil and strip malls!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections