Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Ron Paul of done better against Obama?
Yes 55 59.78%
No 37 40.22%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times

Advertisements

If, by the grace of Christ or the masses suddenly growing a brain, Ron Paul had one the Nomination, would he of been a stronger candidate against Obama than McCan't?

I say yes...hell, I would vote for Paul over Obama in a heartbeat, and I have an Obama bumper sticker on my car and I'm black!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Great question.....hard to say, though.
Obama has the charisma, and he is the epitome of what 'presidential' looks, acts and sounds like. Paul on the other hand....not so much.
However, Paul has the knowledge of government and understands the economy like few do plus he is not afraid of telling hard truths. He does not pander.
The real question is just how shallow is the American people? Would they vote for what they want to hear (change, entitlements) or for what they need to hear (economic hard times ahead to ensure a stable and profitable future)?
I believe Obama still would have won, BUT Ron Paul would have presented the core issues facing our country in a way that would have forced obama to present more concrete plans to deal with them.
The running of mccain really did nothing, Ron Paul would have been an agent of actual change in the Obama white house.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
I think so. And the momentum and financial support he had at its peak was comparable to Obama's too, would have been interesting.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
I think a good deal of this is buyers remorse. While I worked for the Paul campaign and support him still, I think his ideas of returning back towards a more literal interpretation of the United States Constitution is too radical for our day. This should say something about our state of politics in general that a man running on a platform in part based upon a strict adherence to the Constitution and its principles is seen as radical, but such is life today in America.

The contemporary Repubilcan Party of today is so far removed from those past more traditional ideals that founded the conservative movement that many laughed at it when it manifested itself through Paul during the primaries because they didn't even recognize it.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
While I share the OP's sentiments, as a practical matter no.

The GOP would need to package the central core of Ron Paul's message into a smooth delivery, like Ronald Reagan.

Mr Obama is a smooth deliverer, but quite frankly I really don't understand what the message is.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think a good deal of this is buyers remorse. While I worked for the Paul campaign and support him still, I think his ideas of returning back towards a more literal interpretation of the United States Constitution is too radical for our day. This should say something about our state of politics in general that a man running on a platform in part based upon a strict adherence to the Constitution and its principles is seen as radical, but such is life today in America.

The contemporary Repubilcan Party of today is so far removed from those past more traditional ideals that founded the conservative movement that many laughed at it when it manifested itself through Paul during the primaries because they didn't even recognize it.
Such trickery! I actually had some regard for your intellect, Hilltopper, until I read this. I'm reminded of another line from a Bob Dylan tune: "Ain't it hard when you discover that he really wasn't where it's at, after he took from you everything he could steal?"

It would appear from your comments that you want the courts to run this country — something that all clear-thinking Americans, regardless of party affiliation, know is particularly evil. Granted, Paul would be an even bigger mistake than Obama will be (I am not yet ready for a Marxist mindset in this country), but given that the younger folks who elected this guy intend to steal any and every thing they can from those of us who worked hard for what we have. It makes perfect sense to me to take measures to protect my stuff from the hordes of neanderthals who'll be starting the looting process. You, of course, have nothing to lose, do you?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Such trickery! I actually had some regard for your intellect, Hilltopper, until I read this. I'm reminded of another line from a Bob Dylan tune: "Ain't it hard when you discover that he really wasn't where it's at, after he took from you everything he could steal?"

It would appear from your comments that you want the courts to run this country — something that all clear-thinking Americans, regardless of party affiliation, know is particularly evil. Granted, Paul would be an even bigger mistake than Obama will be (I am not yet ready for a Marxist mindset in this country), but given that the younger folks who elected this guy intend to steal any and every thing they can from those of us who worked hard for what we have. It makes perfect sense to me to take measures to protect my stuff from the hordes of neanderthals who'll be starting the looting process. You, of course, have nothing to lose, do you?
To quote a dear friend, "I can catch lightning in a jar and yet I can't understand a word you just said"

I won't even dignify this comment with any more response than... BUAHAHAHA, thanks for the best laugh I had all day and providing the clearest evidence of what I was just talking about. Thank you for making my point for me.

You're the bestest!

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 11-06-2008 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,542 times
Definitely not.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
If, by the grace of Christ or the masses suddenly growing a brain, Ron Paul had one the Nomination, would he of been a stronger candidate against Obama than McCan't?

I say yes...hell, I would vote for Paul over Obama in a heartbeat, and I have an Obama bumper sticker on my car and I'm black!
No, the election would have been a rout of historic proportions. The public isn't going in that direction at all, the only real agreement between the Paul and Obama supporters was the rejection of anything associated with Bush. After that narrow area of agreement, they couldn't be more different in sentiment.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
While I share the OP's sentiments, as a practical matter no.

The GOP would need to package the central core of Ron Paul's message into a smooth delivery, like Ronald Reagan.

Mr Obama is a smooth deliverer, but quite frankly I really don't understand what the message is.

If Im not mistaken his son, Rand (?), is quite the speaker and believes in his father's message..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections