Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

my view of politics in general is its all a bunch of boring crap. short of getting us into a war or pushing the button for nuclear war it doesnt matter whos in power.

anyone who thinks its all about 1 man or political party is just wasting their time even thinking about politics.

its said that if we dont remember history we are doomed to repeat it but the only ones that repeat history are historians. real world events play out each time different enough even under the same circumstances to be different each time. all leadership in this country works in real time dealing with events as they unfold, all those politacal platforms, claims and stances go out the window in january... the country is navagated by the seat of our pants . when the next regime gets handed a 2 trillion dollar bill that has to be paid do you think the outcome is any different no matter who is in office. the president is nothing but a puppet merely echoing what advisors and speech writers tell him to say. the thought that people think one man is going to effect the world economy is mind boggling

politics bore me to no end and most americans who follow this crap would be better served learning something usefull or learning more about their own personal finances of which most know very little.

there im done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
Bill the Union Boss is Angry
And You Can Stop Him

We recently released an ad starring "Bill the Union Boss."

Bill is angry because we want to stop his efforts to take away American workers' voting rights.

This issue shows just what's at stake.

If the liberals gain a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate this year, they have promised to kill the secret ballot in Union elections.

This would take away American workers' right to cast their votes without fear of retaliation or pressure from Big Union bosses.

Is this the type of change you want for America?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is an e-mail I received from the Friends of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. This is another reason I didn't vote for Obama and the Democrats. They always want to limit our rights. The future does not look bright.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 AM

EVERYTHING IN POLITICS IS A WHAT IF?
no different then the pundents who try to predict the moves of the economy or the markets off in the future and they are usually wrong

Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my view of politics in general is its all a bunch of boring crap. short of getting us into a war or pushing the button for nuclear war it doesnt matter whos in power.

anyone who thinks its all about 1 man or political party is just wasting their time even thinking about politics.

its said that if we dont remember history we are doomed to repeat it but the only ones that repeat history are historians. real world events play out each time different enough even under the same circumstances to be different each time. all leadership in this country works in real time dealing with events as they unfold, all those politacal platforms, claims and stances go out the window in january... the country is navagated by the seat of our pants . when the next regime gets handed a 2 trillion dollar bill that has to be paid do you think the outcome is any different no matter who is in office. the president is nothing but a puppet merely echoing what advisors and speech writers tell him to say. the thought that people think one man is going to effect the world economy is mind boggling

politics bore me to no end and most americans who follow this crap would be better served learning something usefull or learning more about their own personal finances of which most know very little.

there im done!
I agree with you about personal finances. That this topic isn't included with english, history, and science as a basic educational requirement in high school (or even earlier!) boggles my mind. I work for an investment firm in the area, and I see people of retirement age that are in debt, haven't saved a thing and are in a panic. How could you not think of this *earlier*? People are rushing to yank their money out of their IRAs and 401ks. If they only took a minute to realize that *now* is the time to invest...the reinvestment of dividends on the extra shares they can now afford alone.....but people just don't get it. They sit home glued to CNN and MSNBC getting themselves all worked up, sucking up all of the media's attempts at inducing fear. It's crazy. Sorry for going off on a tangent.....I just can't believe how many people basically ignore the issue of retirement.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
My college offered a financial literacy course and it was one of the most valuable courses I've ever taken. However, I think this should be offered at a high school level as well since not every college offers such a course nor does everyone have the opportunity to go to college. Everyone should have basic financial understanding so they can't be 'tricked' into charging themselves into debt or buying more house than they can afford. We cannot assume the current generation is able to teach the next one, since many are stuck with more credit card debt and/or unaffordable homes. The cycle needs to be broken now!

Parents need to include their kids in financial discussions so they may learn the value of a dollar and the cost of interest. Somewhere along the way, this got lost and we as a nation are suffering because of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
I'm glad I'm not into investments.....I didn't lose my shirt with this recession and stock market crash. Honestly, this "recession" hasn't affected me much....I still make the same money, and gas has gone down. Although its nice that I'm in a job with a pension, so I don't really have to think about 401k's, etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm glad I'm not into investments.....I didn't lose my shirt with this recession and stock market crash. Honestly, this "recession" hasn't affected me much....I still make the same money, and gas has gone down. Although its nice that I'm in a job with a pension, so I don't really have to think about 401k's, etc.
That's why it's hard for me to blame Bush entirely for the economy. For example, if you're starting out from high school and your dream is to become a doctor, you're going to follow that dream no matter what, assuming you have the means and the smarts. You're not going to care who is in office at the time or in the future, you're going to follow that dream no matter who is President. For me, it doesn't really matter who's there, I'm going to keep going about my business in the same way. So I guess what I'm saying is under Bush things weren't as bad as everyone made them seem and it won't be so horrible under Obama as long as he doesn't go too off track.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM

Just ask yourself 3 questions

has the downturn effected your daily life other than a few minor adjustments in spending?

has it effected your relationship with the people around you?

has it effected your long term plans?

if your answere is no like it is for alot of us than just ignore all the noise,... a gain on paper is worth no more or less than a loss on paper.

like everything else this down turn will turn around when its time too

Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Just ask yourself 3 questions

has the downturn effected your daily life other than a few minor adjustments in spending?

has it effected your relationship with the people around you?

has it effected your long term plans?

if your answere is no like it is for alot of us than just ignore all the noise,... a gain on paper is worth no more or less than a loss on paper.

like everything else this down turn will turn around when its time too
Very well said. Bush wasn't all that bad, a lot of that was media propaganda. And Obama isn't the savior everyone thinks he is, that he's going to come into office and make all of our country's problems disappear in a wave of his magic wand. It's not going to happen. I do hope he can lead us in the right direction though. By the way, I answered no to all of the above questions. The President of the U.S. should not directly affect your life's dreams or your relationship with your family or friends. It just should not shake up your life either way that much.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,562 times
Default Phew!

Now that the election has come and gone, some of my gullible friends have ended up with a case of Palinoid Ditzophrenia. Thank God we have the Onion and a few other outlets to give them some kind of superficial laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bCuEXrU-yQ

Poor W.... ya just can't blame the media for his ineptness and inability to properly enunciate a complete sentence. Not to mention syntax, etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections