Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 05:10 PM

513 posts, read 897,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is this new? Haven't paid much attention to this forum but I can't find anything either...

America Serves | Change.gov

Certainly nothing wrong with encouraging and is a noble cause however requiring is truly beyond belief.

In my town we already have a 30 hour community service requirement in place to graduate high school. It is a great way for the kids to learn what it means to help another person in need or how they can help to maintain their community by donating their time. This gives them a greater understanding of the meaning of giving and that we all have something to give whether it is time or money they are both valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 05:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
They're in school, why would they end up on welfare? Not studying? Planning on dropping out? Most folks who attend an institution of higher learning do so to further themselves.
I think I was clear about that. I said they are already working a lot and if they have to do community service on top of that that takes time away from studying. Is there any reason that welfare recipients shouldn't be required to do community service in exchange for the money they are receiving, which is a lot more than $4000 a year?

And in case you guys don't know, there already ARE education credits - the Lifetime Learning credit and the Hope scholarship credit.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,028,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
In my town we already have a 30 hour community service requirement in place to graduate high school. It is a great way for the kids to learn what it means to help another person in need or how they can help to maintain their community by donating their time. This gives them a greater understanding of the meaning of giving and that we all have something to give whether it is time or money they are both valuable.
Right on, mainesnowflake! Good for your town. Your kids are going to turn out awesome.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Is there any reason that welfare recipients shouldn't be required to do community service in exchange for the money they are receiving, which is a lot more than $4000 a year?
No, there is not any reason. I commented above that there is plenty of community service that even limited ability or differently-abled people can do. So I agree with you on that one. Not instead of healthy, young people doing community service, though. I'm not sure why it would have to be one or the other.

Sanrene, since you also oppose Obama's plan, what do you think of what Luzianne said above? Would you be for it?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be against it if the localities thought it was best. But what works in one place doesn't necessarily mean it will work in another. heck if I had to pick battles this wouldn't be number one with all that's going on in the US. It seems admirable but the last thing that anything admirable needs to do is have the federal government govern it.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Quote:
My kids also did community service in high school but that is when they were living at home and not having to try to support themselves while going through college. It's a lot harder for them now. Obviously college courses are a lot more intense than high school, and on top of that they have to work to pay the bills. If we had one in college we could alleviate a lot of the stress and pay most of the expenses. But with three we cannot, so they have to work.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay.

One year of fees since this is obviously way too confusing.

Four thousand dollars per year. Four thousand dollars for one year.

The argument was that two hours of week of community service (a little less, technically; there are 52 weeks in a year and 100 hours would be the "requirement") would be in addition to working. NO, they wouldn't, since, with $4000 free money each year, they could work $4000 worth of their regular jobs less per year and still be coming out the same.

That is the tie-in.

Do...you...understand...this...yet?
Cut the insulting crap, already. You clearly don't understand what WE are saying and we haven't asserted stupid stuff about you.

I will spell it out -- this is NOT "free money." It means taking up one's time to participate in a government program -- more time than any of y'all are willing to admit. If you think for one minute that the government would hand over $4,000 per year for working two hours per week then you deserve the despair that's coming. AGAIN, you are making your assertions based on two DIFFERENT programs.

My kid's tuition, fees and living expenses come to about $17K per year. He gets the Pell Grant and the Stafford Loan -- these come to about 8K. He's still 9K short. He'd have to work a regular job earning 5K AND do the Obama thing which would require MUCH more than 2 hours per week.

And you haven't even addressed the cost of this brand-new, job-creating bureaucracy on the American people. They would have to set up partnerships, hire administrators, pay overseers for completing government paperwork, and somehow create a center in Washington to process all of the paperwork and guard against fraud.

How on Earth is that better than simply increasing the Stafford Loan or Pell Grant amounts?????

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
Who decides what qualifies as community service? For example if Dave smith wants to help the minute man group would that count? To me it should. Patroling and working against illegal immigration is a community service.
We have programs like river watch. They clean up garbage along the river bank take samples of the water etc. Another good community service.
I am asking because too often someone else gets to decide what community service actually is and then they provide a list of what they feel is acceptable.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

How on Earth is that better than simply increasing the Stafford Loan or Pell Grant amounts?????
As I said, then don't sit here on the internet complaining about it. Do something about it. You have access to a computer, obviously. Educate yourself, crunch the actual numbers (on increasing the Pell, etc.), have some sort of good hypothesis as to how that could come about, and write people who can make a change. Do you think anyone here on CD can make that change for you? As far as I can tell, until you actually do something about what you're complaining about, you're not actually looking to make a change. You're just looking to "prove" why Hillary would have been the better choice. You're living in the past; that ship has sailed. You're looking to make us "sorry" for having voted for Obama in the primaries and for having elected him President. But that's not going to happen, it is, I believe, spiteful and nonproductive, and it is surely not going to help your son or any other college student.

As for the "insulting crap", I edited my post (before you posted, BTW) so as NOT to go off the deep end about this. I laid out the numbers. Logically. And also BTW, how on earth could 100 hours a year be "a lot more" hours than we're "willing" to admit? As far as I know, 100 hours is...well, 100 hours. And also as far as I know, there are still only 52 weeks in a given year.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
On the other hand, in mentioning Hillary's plan, you reveal your real agenda here. You don't want to allow Obama to help even your own son. You'd rather have everything fall apart in order to prove that Obama was the "wrong" choice and Hillary was the "right" choice.
This has got to be the most desperate thing I've read in a long time. YOU may very well be that partisan but the rest of us are healthy enough not to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections