Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
It's not about being racist. It's about what Obama is seen as. He is seen as a black man, he refers to himself as a black man, he's a black man.

As another poster mentioned. During the election he was seen as a black man, no questions asked. But now that he won, he's now "mixed race". I'm sure the Presidents before him all weren't 100% caucasian, so I'm sure Obama isn't the first "mixed race" President.

In the history books, he will go down as the first African American President.

If I say I'm black, I'm black?

That's great news because I wanted to get into the U of M Law School.

Let me catch everyone up here. Obama is America's first Halfrican-American PE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Mother - American
Father - African
You are kidding us right and trying to make a reverse point. Put them together and you have African American in the truest sense.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
You can't "grow up 100% white" if you are, in fact, a black man.

I mean, come on...just look at him.

Regardless of his ethnic make-up and his racial heredity, he is quite obviously a black man. He has dark brown skin, black hair, and the physical characteristics of an African-American, for Pete's sake.

No one in his right mind can look at Barack Obama and claim that he is anything but a black man, regardless of the fact that his mom was white. He obviously inherited his father's African exterior physical appearance. If he had inherited his mother's white skin, he would be a white man who had a black parent. But, he did not, and he is not. He is a black man (duh) who had a white mother.

I mean, seriously, this is not difficult to comprehend.

OK, then what is Tiger woods' race?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 PM

"He is of African ancestry and identifies as such. No matter what he looked like"

OK, then how is he not also a Muslim?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM

184 posts, read 359,517 times
its not black people trying to make a big stink out of this by attempting to justify his white mother and discredit a historical achievement for African Americans- its YOU white people try to turn him into your own personal "Webster" (poorly at that)

"It's A Different World" according to Dwayne Wayne, and Barack Obama is the current President-Elect of the United States of America

Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"He is of African ancestry and identifies as such. No matter what he looked like"

OK, then how is he not also a Muslim?
Because he never elected the Muslim faith. Religion is not genetic it is subscribed to behavior. Race to what ever degress it is significant is based on a genetic assumption that relates to government census definitions. They are available from the department. For those who desire a more simplistic differentiation of the two can consider the following.

Race is a defined condition of nature
Religion is defined condition of nurture and the individual elects their religion.

In modern life most of us are a mixture of a number of things and thats why we hopefully are moving towards a post racial society for the learned and forward thinking. However as you know there will be those who need to cling to whatever in order for them to be something of worth.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
its not black people trying to make a big stink out of this by attempting to justify his white mother and discredit a historical achievement for African Americans- its YOU white people try to turn him into your own personal "Webster" (poorly at that)

"It's A Different World" according to Dwayne Wayne, and Barack Obama is the current President-Elect of the United States of America
Chill out and understand many of us White, Asian, Black, Hispanic etc see in Obama ourselves and identify with him as such and that is a very good thing and was helped by his being bi racial. I am Black and can understand that he is bi racial and White folks feel they can identify with him as well as I can and thats a very good thing. Don't you think his universality is a good thing and is part of his appeal pre-electin and will be part of the foundation for him to unite us moving forward?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
Point blank, the only reason people are whining about him being mixed race is because he's the leader of the free world. There are thousands upon thousands of mixed race people all over the country who pretty much have the same skin tone as Obama, yet they'd get labeled as "that black guy" or "that black chick". The higher up on the ladder you are, the more people want to break down your racial background.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,009 times
Quote:
OK, then what is Tiger woods' race?
The United nations?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times
Quote:
If I say I'm black, I'm black?

That's great news because I wanted to get into the U of M Law School.

Let me catch everyone up here. Obama is America's first Halfrican-American PE.
You totally missed my point

But in the end, Obama will go down in the history books as the First AFRICAN-AMERICAN President. You can slice and dice it anyway you please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections