Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM

91 posts, read 122,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. View Post
President Obama please. It really concerns me that the nation is taking so long to refer to him as "President Obama" and "First Lady Michelle". We did not go around referring to our last president as "George". BTW his wife "Our First Lady" and his childen are indeed Black. I don't believe there is a box to check off on the census that says Bi-racial. But, I could be wrong. ")
In South Africa Obama would be Coloured (Biracial to you). In America its very confusing because I see strange looking Blacks like Mariah Carey and Alicia Keys. The thing is when they come to South Africa they identify with Coloureds. This may be a derrogatory term in the US but in SA its mentioned on the Identity Documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodatheist View Post
In South Africa Obama would be Coloured (Biracial to you). In America its very confusing because I see strange looking Blacks like Mariah Carey and Alicia Keys. The thing is when they come to South Africa they identify with Coloureds. This may be a derrogatory term in the US but in SA its mentioned on the Identity Documents.
In the US we have no Identity Documents on which race is mentioned............

Old 01-25-2009, 06:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. View Post
President Obama please. It really concerns me that the nation is taking so long to refer to him as "President Obama" and "First Lady Michelle". We did not go around referring to our last president as "George". BTW his wife "Our First Lady" and his childen are indeed Black. I don't believe there is a box to check off on the census that says Bi-racial. But, I could be wrong. ")
Oh please. Most people (including myself) simply called the last President "Bush", or maybe "dubya". I don't think I have said the Presidential full name since President Reagan.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I know, and that seems to create a lot of questions and claims because who do the mixed gravitate to regarding culture?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodatheist View Post
I know, and that seems to create a lot of questions and claims because who do the mixed gravitate to regarding culture?

in America, black of course. Most American blacks are colored in SA. We have no distinctions between the two, while culturally there are great differences in South Africa.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
in America, black of course. Most American blacks are colored in SA. We have no distinctions between the two, while culturally there are great differences in South Africa.
Very true! This I must admit confuses Coloureds in SA because Blacks in SA have adopted the rule that all Blacks in America (Biracial or not) are Black and we are told that we cannot in any way identify with American Blacks because the US has no Coloureds.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
Is the height of ignorance. Regardless of having a white mother and a black father, his skin color is still darker than a caucasian- and YES, BLACK and has a result, the barriers that he overcame to get to the white house were many, and up to just a few years ago- unthinkable for many.

Unless you are non-caucasian and have ever been treated different solely based on the darkness of your skin or your appearance- and nothing else- you really have no perspective on what this means. People's actions speak louder than their rhetoric.

Barack Obama is indeed America's first black President. To discount this in anyway is bigotry and America at it's absolute worst.
But he is also bi racial and to deny that is to insult others who are bi racial and their parents.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Drivers license? School records? Census recordation stats? Passport? Post hiring employment records? Yes your employer especially if the public sector needs to maintain race records for federal hiring guidelines.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Drivers license? School records? Census recordation stats? Passport? Post hiring employment records? Yes your employer especially if the public sector needs to maintain race records for federal hiring guidelines.

That is right. I spoke specifically about identity documents, ie. those one carries to establish identity to others, especially government or commercial entities........There is no race listed on my license, school transcripts, or passport. I specifically told the census taker what my race/ethnicity was when she came to my door because I did not fill out the forms, and I do not fill out race/ethnicity on job-related forms either. In any event, as I said, there is nothing I carry on my person as identification that specifies what race I am or perceived to be. If you have any racial designation on your driver's license or passport, that would come as a huge surprise to me............

Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I hate to tell you this, but you haven't the slightest idea of what you are saying. You are a "colored" South African, and under apartheid people like you were considered neither Black nor White. In America, "coloreds" were, and are, Black. And I also hate to tell you this, but blacks were and are treated differently in America, and this was during Barack Obama's lifetime. If you think he has not been affected by racial barriers, you need to have a conversation with the man.

Amandla!
I was born in to an apartheid system so I know exactly what I am talking about. White people are not the custodians of this world, they only are if we make them, everybody has to do whatever they have to, to survive.

The Black mentality is that the white is the giver whether it be love, hate, money, jobs, whatever, he is in control. This is not true at all!! We are all human beings and opportunity is not fruit you just pick off a tree. You have to strive for it and sometimes it means shrugging off the victim mentality and getting out there and doing what you aim to acheive regardless of the historic events or attitudes of others.

Barack Obama had a good sense of this, he broke his own barriers by accepting who he was and not giving in to the pressures of race. Now the Blacks are talking change in America, THERE IS NO CHANGE until all Blacks accept who they are and stop reacting to how White people see them.

Barack Obama took on a mission against all odds even against the Blacks who thought he was crazy and broke through and he did this because he is not affected by the racial barriers which hold other Black people back.

Biracial people are in the minority worldwide, so its easy for them to be pulled in to a race classification without much resistance. When I look at the affluent Blacks in America I can't help noticing that most of them are Biracial especially those not in the entertainment industry.

Blacks in SA rely on government legislation to change the lives for the better but what invariably happens is the poor get poorer and rest get on but not without problems. Africa in general is a struggling continent, the poorest in the world and run by Black presidents. South Africa is sinking fast though corruption and our leadership is not interested as long they can ride their Range Rovers in carcades at rediculous speeds!

I can go on for hours, the point is, Blacks need to realize the earth is not owned by Whites and they must assert themselves and play a function role in replenitioning the world for future generations. Think about this Africa has the richest resources in the world and perfect weather conditions in most countries but remains the poorest how daoes anyone explain this! Blaming is probably the only answer and thats rubbish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections