Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 02:56 PM

10 posts, read 13,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
Is the height of ignorance. Regardless of having a white mother and a black father, his skin color is still darker than a caucasian- and YES, BLACK and has a result, the barriers that he overcame to get to the white house were many, and up to just a few years ago- unthinkable for many.

Unless you are non-caucasian and have ever been treated different solely based on the darkness of your skin or your appearance- and nothing else- you really have no perspective on what this means. People's actions speak louder than their rhetoric.

Barack Obama is indeed America's first black President. To discount this in anyway is bigotry and America at it's absolute worst.
I do indeed have a view on this, and yes, I'm white.

Skin color should be irrelevant, stop making a big deal over what colour Obama is! He's not 100% black, so we can't call him black, and he's not 100% wjite, so we can't call him white.

So saying he's the first African-American president is not exactly truth, it's a half-lie.

I don't think we should call him the first black or mixed president, I think we should just call him President... Because, as I said, skin colour is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM

64 posts, read 131,136 times
Quote:
Maybe.

But it looks like white people, in the wake of enormous social achievement, are already taking credit, stating, "Well, you know. He is not 100% black. He is actually half white."

Race-envy?
Maybe they should. Obama is half-white no matter how many times you call him black. White people had more of an influence in raising him, and most importantly white people elected him!!! Let us not forget that blacks make up only 13% of the population. You can never elect a "black" president without the help of a majority of white voters. And considering blacks only make up 13% then how can anyone say it is about time or this was a long time coming. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not know of too many countries that elect leaders from their minority groups comprising 13% or less.

With that said, I would say that American whites are about the least racist people in the world and deserve to take credit!!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Stating that Obama is black is a gross simplification because again, it's incomplete and therefore inaccurate. As a biracial person, I actually think that people who want to place us in their category (whether they are black, white. asian, whatever) are doing society and us a disservice. We don't need to fit into anyone's category, we don't need to "belong" to any one race because we are NOT one race or the other. We can be both whether you, or society, like it or not (no wonder so many biracial people have identity issues... because people won't let us be ourselves). I can see how people deem him a symbol of progress in our nation (which he is) but acknowledging one part of him and not the other is a very narrow view. Imagine, if my race was dictated by my darkest parent... that's antiquated and ridiculous.
If a black American identifies with Barack Obama because he sees him as also black, so be it. If a white American identifies with Barack Obama because of his close relationship with his white family, so be it. If a biracial American (I am half Latino) identifies with Barack Obama for that reason, then so be it. Since race is a social construct rather than scientific fact, he is all of these and none of these at the same time.

I've seen people of color take enormous pride in him as their first black president. To then throw up your hands and tell them, "but he's BIRACIAL!" not only cheapens the debate, it ignores the very real social history from which that person draws.

This is not so cut and dry.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,824 times
Obama is African American...point blank. If you had no idea on who he was and were to see him on the street. You would describe him as a black man. Think about it, if Obama was born back in the slave days, would he be allowed to go into the "white only" areas? I think not. It wouldn't matter to them if he was "half white", he looks like an African American and he would have been treated as such.

When people look back in the history books at the list of Presidents, people are not going to say "look at that MIXED RACE President". They are going to say "look at that BLACK President".

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM

184 posts, read 359,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Obama is African American...point blank. If you had no idea on who he was and were to see him on the street. You would describe him as a black man. Think about it, if Obama was born back in the slave days, would he be allowed to go into the "white only" areas? I think not. It wouldn't matter to them if he was "half white", he looks like an African American and he would have been treated as such.

When people look back in the history books at the list of Presidents, people are not going to say "look at that MIXED RACE President". They are going to say "look at that BLACK President".
EXACTLY what i've been saying all along

Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymew View Post
I do indeed have a view on this, and yes, I'm white.

Skin color should be irrelevant, stop making a big deal over what colour Obama is! He's not 100% black, so we can't call him black, and he's not 100% wjite, so we can't call him white.

So saying he's the first African-American president is not exactly truth, it's a half-lie.

I don't think we should call him the first black or mixed president, I think we should just call him President... Because, as I said, skin colour is irrelevant.
Crazymew let me ask you this.

Lets say you didn't know who Obama was, and he was just an average guy on the street. He commits a crime and later on the police come and ask you to describe him. What are you going to say?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Funny thing is, even though Earl Woods, Tiger's dad, is also part Asian (and white and Native), he saw himself, and America saw him, as a black man. Tiger is more Asian than his dad was, but America sees him, and Asia sees him, and the world sees him, as a black man.
And Tiger Woods doesn't buy into any of the race baiting.

I love that guy. For his talent...kind of for his looks...mainly for his way of being.

And, by the way, I didn't vote for Barack Obama. His thinking stinks.

Unlike Tiger. Love that guys thinking.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Crazymew let me ask you this.

Lets say you didn't know who Obama was, and he was just an average guy on the street. He commits a crime and later on the police come and ask you to describe him. What are you going to say?
I'll jump in. I would describe him as a black guy with a close hair cut.

Racist, huh?

If he was a real white guy with a shaved off red head...gosh...guess I would give that description.

I am sick of giving race a break.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,531 times
Quote:
Is the height of ignorance. Regardless of having a white mother and a black father, his skin color is still darker than a caucasian- and YES, BLACK and has a result, the barriers that he overcame to get to the white house were many, and up to just a few years ago- unthinkable for many.

Unless you are non-caucasian and have ever been treated different solely based on the darkness of your skin or your appearance- and nothing else- you really have no perspective on what this means. People's actions speak louder than their rhetoric.

Barack Obama is indeed America's first black President. To discount this in anyway is bigotry and America at it's absolute worst.
Why is it that you believe white people can't be racially discriminated against, I find that incredibly racist in itself. And yes as white man living in an area in which blacks and latinos are not really a minority I do experience racism daily even from friends. Ive been beaten robbed spit on and of course verbally assulted because the color of my skin so don't give me that bs. The white man lifted his hand of oppresion long ago. Of course there will be rednecks we all have to deal with but you as a people need to let it go, I don't know how cold that sounds but you must in order for we as a people to move forward. But black white or milado I believe Obama isn't going to do much good anyways

Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:

You'd better tell him that since he refers to himself as a mutt. I don't care what color his skin is. He's part Caucasian and part Negro and that all there is to it. It is not bigotry or America at its worst to state the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections