Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times

Advertisements

Google:

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours

Since Google supported Obama I suspect it to disappear soon. Notice no major news sources have reported this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM

135 posts, read 224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I expect the "fan club" to rationalize all changes as wise decisions based upon more information. I expect the "non-fans" to critically evaluate the changes for future campaign ideas.
Negativo. The "fan club" will rationalize all changes as wise decisions, yes. The "non-fans" as I believe you intend will rationalize all changes as historic blunders of the most sinister nature. Only the intelligent middle will critically evaluate the changes and call him out on what truly seem like 180s, and pat him on the back for what truly seems like good changes in response to additional information or public feedback.

It's unfortnate the the intelligent middle are also very quiet unlike the fan club and non-fans that shout thier opinions from the rooftops trying to force them down everyone else's throats.

For example, how do realistically to expect any government of the poeple not to adjust to feed back from the people? How can you be a government of the people without policy adjustments? Just one example.

Personally, I've seen nothing to raise the red alarm about yet. I would like to see the new agenda whenever it gets posted. The service for $4k is an excellent idea. It should be required, everyone would be a lot better off for it, but it looks like he's backing off of requirements based on feedback (so far) and that's what I would expect from a government by the people for the people.

We have to wait and see what other changes come by, and evaluate them with an honest open mind. The fans and non-fans are really worthless to any discussion, as their close-mindedness irrevocably taints all arguments they put forward.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,278 times
For those who are bothered by the wording change, how do you see the implied effective change? What is he trying to say?

What do you think it means? Keep in mind, changing wording in proposals, legislation, etc. is not uncommon in attempts to soften the language or make it seem less partisan.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Busy guy that Obama, managing the economy, facing down Iran, rewriting the website.

What are you complaining about? First you all were mad because of "required," now you're mad about "setting a goal"?

How is he "lying to us", for Pete's sake?
He more then likely didn't even write it....they have speech writers and I'm sure writers for this as well

Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM

167 posts, read 453,332 times
At least he is making a effort and trying to get citizens to be pro=active in their government, already he is ten steps ahead of the Bush admin.

obama will go down in history as one of the best compared to bush as #1 worse.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Default Was the wife lying or is she the puppet master?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
For those who are bothered by the wording change, how do you see the implied effective change? What is he trying to say?

What do you think it means? Keep in mind, changing wording in proposals, legislation, etc. is not uncommon in attempts to soften the language or make it seem less partisan.
Let's see this was said on the campaign trail:

Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.
M. Obama

So with changing it now he is being disingenuous.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
He more then likely didn't even write it....they have speech writers and I'm sure writers for this as well
I know

Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
It would seem a good thing that SOME of his campaign proposals change as he gets information that wasn't available to him during the campaign. I have no problem with this as long as the core ideals remain in place. If it's a 180, he'll have to explain in depth to his supporters and the rest of us who are still very cautious, but optimistic.

It's called back-pedaling kids. We're all gonna' get screwed.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let's see this was said on the campaign trail:

Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.
M. Obama

So with changing it now he is being disingenuous.
I have seen nothing that indicates he no longer wants school aged children to work, in this case volunteer for community service. In fact, the adjustment reaffirms his commitment to volunteer work for young teens.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Good catch! I've downloaded his proposals as of two weeks ago, anticipating he may be a bit of a "moving target" concerning his campaign proposals.
This was not a "moving target" but a small adjustment, a common trait among intelligent people, vs. years and years of refusing to even adjust course when it is the reasonable choice, because your a prideful but ignorant leader like Bush.

Do a little research and look at the HUGE DISPARITY between Bush's campaign promises and his actions.

Hell closer to home, do a little research on McCain's campaign promises this summer and the huge disparity between October's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections