Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
All indicators point to Obama governing as a centrist, so what's all the bug-eyed hysteria about?
Exactly, Obama will govern from the center. The problem with the OP is that for the last 8 years Bush has governed from the right with overtures made to the far-right. So to people like the OP anything not of those two camps is seen as far-left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
No, Bush does not deserve my respect. Repect is earned.
Then tell me what Obama has done to EARN my respect.. Sorry, winning an election isnt one..

Non stop bs.. ooh, give Obama respect, but that darn Bush.. Please.. grow up..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Well, for one thing, Larry Summers and Paul Volker are the top contenders for Sec of the Treasury, Bill Gates is likely to stay on as SECDEF and Obama is filling his ranks with old Clintonistas like Rahm Emanuel.

Listening to the shrill hysterics from the right all throuogout this election season, they made it sound as if he was going to appoint Soviet marxists, Louis Farrakhan, and Bill Ayers in his cabinet.
The fact that Louis Farrakhan and Bill Ayers have not been offered a job, does not prove he'll be managing from the center..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What indicators would that be? I havent seen one that says that at all..
He supported the FISA bill.
He supports government sponsored Faith Based Initiatives.
He promised to expand Bush's program to give more anti-poverty grants to religious groups, a split with Democratic orthodoxy.
He supports safe nuclear energy and offshore drilling.
He supports lowering taxes for small businesses.
He believes that the definition of marriage should be between a man & a woman.
He objected to the Supreme Court's decision outlawing the death penalty for child rapists, drawing attention to his support for the death penalty if used only for the "most egregious" crimes.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:
Then tell me what Obama has done to EARN my respect.. Sorry, winning an election isnt one..

Non stop bs.. ooh, give Obama respect, but that darn Bush.. Please.. grow up..
I don't know what Obama has done to earn your respect, or disrespect for that matter.

I do know that he has inspired me to become a better citizen. I respect him for bringing government transparancy to the masses, and I think his honesty is refreshing for a politician.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
He supported the FISA bill.
He supports government sponsored Faith Based Initiatives.
He promised to expand Bush's program to give more anti-poverty grants to religious groups, a split with Democratic orthodoxy.
He supports safe nuclear energy and offshore drilling.
He supports lowering taxes for small businesses.
He believes that the definition of marriage should be between a man & a woman.
He objected to the Supreme Court's decision outlawing the death penalty for child rapists, drawing attention to his support for the death penalty if used only for the "most egregious" crimes.
government spending, thats liberal, not conservaitve, he has never claimed he supported nuclear energy, he is against off shore drilling, he wants to raise taxes on businesses, yippee about man/woman marriages, thats a state issue, not federal, and the same for the death penalty, but that one issue hardly qualifies him as "center"..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Well I completely oppose Obama and his plans, he will be the president and you discredit your posting by not showing him respect.. The same for the left and their non stop anti Bush crap for the last 8 years.. Even if you disagree with them, they deserve respect..
I've been meaning to compliment you on your attitude. I appreciate you're statement here and elsewhere.

However, you are creating a false equivalence between Obama and Bush. Bush turned us into a nation that tortures people. He snatched people off the street, and without due process, shipped them to foreign nations that practice torture, or locked them up for years in solitary without charges. He began spying on Americans and lied about it. He leaked the name of a spy. He violated the Constitution in a number of ways. We are angry at him for what he actually did, not some straw man like the one that the OP is setting up here.

We were right to demand his impeachment, and are still right. If Obama does only one thing that the left demands, I hope that impeachment of Cheney and Bush is it.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
government spending, thats liberal, not conservaitve, he has never claimed he supported nuclear energy, he is against off shore drilling, he wants to raise taxes on businesses, yippee about man/woman marriages, thats a state issue, not federal, and the same for the death penalty, but that one issue hardly qualifies him as "center"..
Guess I'll take back my appreciation. You're still not attached to reality.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I've been meaning to compliment you on your attitude. I appreciate you're statement here and elsewhere.

However, you are creating a false equivalence between Obama and Bush. Bush turned us into a nation that tortures people. He snatched people off the street, and without due process, shipped them to foreign nations that practice torture, or locked them up for years in solitary without charges. He began spying on Americans and lied about it. He leaked the name of a spy. He violated the Constitution in a number of ways. We are angry at him for what he actually did, not some straw man like the one that the OP is setting up here.

We were right to demand his impeachment, and are still right. If Obama does only one thing that the left demands, I hope that impeachment of Cheney and Bush is it.
My god, snatching people off the street, shipping them to be tortured? I dont know anyone that had their rights violated, who do you know?

p.s. Pelosi, and DEMOCRATS approved to torture the FIVE people that we waterboarded.. Bush was not alone, but go ahead, support Pelosi, and the others that approved of it..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
Quote:
No, Bush does not deserve my respect. Repect is earned.

AND DumBO WILL HAVE MY RESPECT WHEN HE EARNS IT ALSO. TO THIS POINT, I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING HE STANDS FOR POLICY WISE. IF HE CHANGES HIS VIEWS AND GOVERNS FROM THE CENTER, THEN I WILL GIVE HIM RESPSECT.

Also, this was not meant to be typed in CAPS, but the caps were on and I did not notice it and I am to lazy to retype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections