Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
So the first video says at the end, Obama did not vote on that.
Try again.. This all started back with Reagan and his de-regulation frenzy.
But maybe you were not old enough to remember the first S&L scandals

None so blind as he who will not see.

It wasn't S&Ls who sued honest, responsible banks that refused to give home loans to uncreditwothy blacks. Obama did that. ACORN harassed responsible bankers at their homes and staged demonstrations inside banks to protest blacks being denied mortgages they had no business getting in the first place. It was Republicans including Sen. McCain who tried to get GSE oversight reform (S. 190). Democrats did nothing except obstruct and threaten filibuster. You saw the videos, and you heard their own words. Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 AM

Really?

"Rather, the politician whose long-run policies are most responsible for leading us to a potential balanced budget next year is Ronald Reagan. Yes, Reagan, the man vilified by Clinton for "tripling the national debt in the 1980s."

Who Balanced the Budget?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ml#post6251283

Old 11-21-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I'll look forward to those zillion.

In fact, I will let you off the hook if you find only 20 with as much credibility as FactCheck.org - and remember, FactCheck then was pre-Obama, so the silly and false Annenberg conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.

Hey, I'm generous - start with ONE with the credibility of FactCheck.org.

One of the problems is that you defend stances nobody is taking.

Nobody here is claiming the public officials in Louisiana performed as they should.

But you and others here are insisting that the President did nothing wrong, and that only the Democrats down there did, along with the residents.

The facts are not on your side.

Here's a fact.

"More than 300,000 cars were destroyed during Hurricane Katrina"

Check Used Cars for Hurricane Damage - Kiplinger.com

If you put four people in each vehicle, that's 1.2 million people who could have left but chose to stay.

Population (2006[1]) - City223,388 - Metro 1,030,363

Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,514,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
First off Reagan and Bush Sr had us in recession AND drove the national debt up massively.... Unlike Clinton. Reagan can in no way take claim to the Clinton Years success as you suggest, Reagan was an out of control hooligan spending massive amounts on his arms race. While waging war on the homeless and middle class.

about you assuming Im young and didn't live these times, you are wrong.
Unemployment didn't do so well under Reagan/Bush Sr. either.

To his credit, it seems like Dubya's the only post-WWII Republican president to not see rising unemployment. He has seen Clinton era rates, approximately.

A chart I whipped up (if anyone discovers any errors please let me know, and don't freak out - I don't claim to be a statistician):

Where can I find the unemployment rate for previous years?

Last edited by Guero; 11-21-2008 at 04:21 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Here's a fact.

"More than 300,000 cars were destroyed during Hurricane Katrina"

Check Used Cars for Hurricane Damage - Kiplinger.com

If you put four people in each vehicle, that's 1.2 million people who could have left but chose to stay.

Population (2006[1]) - City223,388 - Metro 1,030,363
Yup. It's a fact.

How much of it is relevant fact is not even slightly represented by your conjecture.

1) How many of those cars were in New Orleans, as opposed to Mississippi or any other area hit by Katrina?

2) How does that, in any way, demonstrate that President Bush made no mistakes about Katrina, as some here have been (amazingly) claiming?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post

To his credit, it seems like Dubya's the only post-WWII Republican president to not see rising unemployment. He has seen Clinton era rates, approximately.

A chart I whipped up (if anyone discovers any errors please let me know, and don't freak out - I don't claim to be a statistician):

I think when the stats for 2008 finally come out, you will see that President Bush's close is up sharply.

Also, just for perspective, not a criticism, I tend to view the odd numbered year as the last one of an administration's, because the FY budget was passed under the prior President, and the new Administration has not yet had a chance to get its programs in place, given the lag between legislation and enaction.

Looking that way, for example, you would see that Reagan came in and things were none to rosy in his first full year, but that his trend from there was consistently towards lower unemployment. Don't get me started on his successor - the man who decried and then embraced Voodoo Economics.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post

Bush 6.5% and rising.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Obama is the boss, man. No matter whom he chooses, he is going to give that person directives for his agenda of change. Get it? This isn't brain surgery. It's not who he picks - it's what he's going to tell them to do.
It is brain surgery for those that don't understand the chain of command in a well run organization, and the meaning of the word boss. I guess all these folk do as they please at work, or they are in entry level positions that never get to make decisions.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
None so blind as he who will not see.

It wasn't S&Ls who sued honest, responsible banks that refused to give home loans to uncreditwothy blacks. Obama did that.
Really? When did he do this?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Hussein Obama, ACORN Sued Citibank Under CRA to Force it to Make Bad Loans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections