Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
So rather than just screaming at me - which you, for some reason, have chosen to do - why didn't you just answer my original question about Michelle's job?

It was a question, for crying out loud.

You really need to settle down.

I think you need a course on internet etiquette- I am not screaming. In the cyber world screaming is using all caps and raising your voice is all bold letters.

I've done none of that- I simply asked a question and stated my opinions.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
'But Obama was never part of this aspect of the school’s culture. In his first book "Dreams From My Father," Obama writes, "for my grandparents, my admission into Punahou Academy heralded the start of something grand, an elevation in the family status." Obama was admitted to the school, which he describes as "an incubator for island elites," because his grandfather’s boss, an alumni, pulled strings. Because his family couldn’t afford the steep tuition, he went on a scholarship.

'With his admission to Punahou, Obama entered Hawaii’s, and t

he country’s, meritocracy, its educated elite — a status reinforced when he attended Columbia College and Harvard Law School. But Obama’s home life was far more modest than that of his classmates. He lived in a small, two-bedroom apartment with his grandmother, who worked at a local bank, and his grandfather, who sold life insurance."'

The Washington Independent » Elitist Charge Not New for Obama

Listen I have no problem with him getting a good education but face facts he IS not the "average" American, he IS a millionaire. His grandmother was a bank executive not just some teller, they were far from poor. He has no clue what it means to have your children hungry because you don't have enough money to buy them food or to decided whether to pay the electric or your kids doctor bill.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Listen I have no problem with him getting a good education but face facts he IS not the "average" American, he IS a millionaire. His grandmother was a bank executive not just some teller, they were far from poor. He has no clue what it means to have your children hungry because you don't have enough money to buy them food or to decided whether to pay the electric or your kids doctor bill.
What you need to consider, though is that he understands the plight of the middle class because he did go without when he was a child. His mother even depended on food stamps for a while when he was a child. And he did lead the life of the starving college student. And he was a young professional who struggled to gain ground.

He may not be struggling now, but he remembers where he came from and he understands that many Americans are struggling with financial choices today. I believe that he does not think that anybody should have to make a choice between medical care, food or electric.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
I think there are several things that are important to note here:

1. I hope Barack & Michelle's girls get a good education, and have a good time, at their new school. Every kid deserves that, regardless of who they are.

2. Security is probably MUCH easier at a small private school than a large public school. And, unfortunately, that is absolutely necessary these days.

3. I find it ironic, however, that basically there is no federal politician who is willing to send their children to public school in Washington DC. I think THAT is a point worth pondering, because it has far-reaching implications.

I could not agree more. You would think they would fix their own backyard, instead of going somewhere else to play. Sad really, the entire country's public schools suck but for Washington DC's to suck says a lot about politicians, IMO.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
What you need to consider, though is that he understands the plight of the middle class because he did go without when he was a child. His mother even depended on food stamps for a while when he was a child. And he did lead the life of the starving college student. And he was a young professional who struggled to gain ground.

He may not be struggling now, but he remembers where he came from and he understands that many Americans are struggling with financial choices today. I believe that he does not think that anybody should have to make a choice between medical care, food or electric.

He only lived with his mother until he was 10. Sorry but that does not to me anyway give him rights to the "middle" class. He had a much better life and was given way more opportunity then the average person. Point is he did not have a family to support while being what you call "poor". He did not have responsibility he never had to choose between his kids medicine and his electric bill. He simply does not know what being "middle" class is. When he was without he was on his own, a college kid very different then raising a family on minimum wage.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,728 times
Quote:
I could not agree more. You would think they would fix their own backyard, instead of going somewhere else to play. Sad really, the entire country's public schools suck but for Washington DC's to suck says a lot about politicians, IMO.
For what it's worth, all 3 of my kids went through public schools. Fortunately, we had good public schools to send them to. Additionally, we got involved as parents.

But you're right about the irony of the whole situation. Our nation's capital city is one of the single worst cities - in virtually every category - in the entire nation. Kind of like having a morbidly obese personal fitness instructor...

Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I think you need a course on internet etiquette- I am not screaming. In the cyber world screaming is using all caps and raising your voice is all bold letters.

I've done none of that- I simply asked a question and stated my opinions.
You need to settle down. Or maybe you need to leave for awhile, and come back when you're able to carry on conversations in a more mature manner.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
He was a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago; I think he has a vague idea.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
He only lived with his mother until he was 10. Sorry but that does not to me anyway give him rights to the "middle" class. He had a much better life and was given way more opportunity then the average person. Point is he did not have a family to support while being what you call "poor". He did not have responsibility he never had to choose between his kids medicine and his electric bill. He simply does not know what being "middle" class is. When he was without he was on his own, a college kid very different then raising a family on minimum wage.
His family definitely cared about education and they did sacrifice for him to go to good schools. Did he ever claim to have been poor? I dont understand what you're getting at.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't blame them. I wouldn't send my kid to DC public schools either.
They may very well wish they could send their daughters to public school, but that would be very impractical for the children of a president. It's not so much an issue of whether or not the public schools provide a poor education as an issue of security. Sidwell Friends has been through this song and dance before, it just makes good sense to utilize them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections