U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,799,610 times
Reputation: 343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Without a doubt one of the finest campaigns ever run, his victory was sweet... as was the complete and total humiliation of the Republican Party. Most importantly there is no question in that he has a mandate to deliver some real change from what we've seen the last eight years.

Yes he has the mandate now whether you will see actual change as speeches dont count might be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2008, 01:59 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,799,610 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If the Black, Hispanic and college aged voters bothered to get out in record number to vote 8 years ago.....Bush would have never been in office. Instead of feeling all victorious, they should feel a little silly.

I disagree as it was the white vote which helped put Obama in office and by help I mean swing even Rep states.

Bush still won those states and would have won regardless of Hispanic and Black vote going the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,389 posts, read 27,614,342 times
Reputation: 6542
The Elder George Bush won more electoral votes (426) than Obama (365).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 04:06 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,441,764 times
Reputation: 2996
Reagan, 489 electoral votes in 1980. How many electoral votes did Obama get again? Oh yeah, it was well under 400.
It is ONLY possible because America's population has grown IMMENSELY since 1980.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM
 
29,833 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Reputation: 11752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Reagan, 489 electoral votes in 1980. How many electoral votes did Obama get again? Oh yeah, it was well under 400.
It is ONLY possible because America's population has grown IMMENSELY since 1980.
The link says that. However it is still the largest and thats what the link says and it is still note worthy. The link also says that as a percentage it is not way up there. You are arguing about something that the link/OP doesn't say. In addition you are trying to make a point by articulating what the link and OP does say. Thus you are agreeing with the link and the Op and are only arguing because of some reason you need to determine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,278,169 times
Reputation: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I think the only folks feeling a "little silly" are the McCain/Palin supporters who up until the day of the election continued to rather foolishly claim that the polls were wrong.
Why do you insist upon instigating argument in every single topic you post it? Fortunately, you are not baiting me in this time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
 
29,833 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Reputation: 11752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Why do you insist upon instigating argument in every single topic you post it? Fortunately, you are not baiting me in this time .
I don't think he was responding to you in this thread and isn't this your first post in the thread? He was responding to another poster saying that people should feel silly and he was responding in kind. Why would you feel that his responding to someone else was baiting you when you had yet to post in the thread? That is something that I suspect could be explained and clarified unless he knows that you are stalking his posts and feel compelled to respond to anything he says even if you are not involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,387,692 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Why do you insist upon instigating argument in every single topic you post it? Fortunately, you are not baiting me in this time .

Well that's good to know. However if you read the post I was responding to you might just pick up a clue as to why I worded it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 44,645,735 times
Reputation: 58626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I disagree as it was the white vote which helped put Obama in office and by help I mean swing even Rep states.

Bush still won those states and would have won regardless of Hispanic and Black vote going the other way.
Republican turnout declined by 1.3 percentage points to 28.7 percent, while Democratic turnout increased by 2.6 points from 28.7 percent in 2004 to 31.3 percent in 2008.

I was going off of the above statistics.....and making more of a joke than a big political statement.

Truth is, as much as the Obama campaign kept saying McCain was just like Bush....it didn't make it so. The large evangelical caucus was not particularly fond of McCain's more liberal stand on abortion and then there were all of the Republicans who remembered McCains criticism of Bush in the beginning of the Iraq was. I never even figured out HOW he managed to get the Republican nomination.

Then you add the Black, Hispanic and college age vote, who turned out in record numbers.....and then you get the end result of a large win for Obama.

At the end of the day though.... it doesn't really matter why or how he won....only that he did win and did run a very good campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 03:02 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,441,764 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The link says that. However it is still the largest and thats what the link says and it is still note worthy. The link also says that as a percentage it is not way up there. You are arguing about something that the link/OP doesn't say. In addition you are trying to make a point by articulating what the link and OP does say. Thus you are agreeing with the link and the Op and are only arguing because of some reason you need to determine.
I don't need to "determine" a reason. Look at the thread title. The word "Wow!" is totally unnecessary once you look at the facts behind what the title is stating. Yes the post goes on to do that, as does the link. However, neither one of them point out that the wow in the title is unnecessary. You apparently do not like my post for some reason you need to determine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top