Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM

217 posts, read 416,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
D'oh! I understand now - thanks for clearing that up, SarahSal!
sarah is absolutely right..

Old 11-27-2008, 10:20 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,967,597 times
Sooooo....anyway....the Obamas helped out at a food bank.

Um, happy Thanksgiving - [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-28-2008 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Please don't make it personal.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:25 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Well....dammit. I got up at 5:00 AM to help prepare food for the homeless at a local charity. NO ONE took my picture or wrote an article about MEEEE!

Seriously, I think it is great for anyone to help someone else if they can do so. I'm glad Obama and his family set a fine example for others to follow.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Well....dammit. I got up at 5:00 AM to help prepare food for the homeless at a local charity. NO ONE took my picture or wrote an article about MEEEE!

Seriously, I think it is great for anyone to help someone else if they can do so. I'm glad Obama and his family set a fine example for others to follow.
No, no - they got your picture. You're the one holding the slice of bread, right?

http://www.oph.gov.au/images/upload/soup-kitchen.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, my. How touching!

So, I guess the Bush family, as Christians, never served? Do you know that?

Christians have always done such things. The fact that the Obama family did it in front of cameras, makes me suspicious of their motives.

Biblically speaking, our giving is supposed to be in secret, so that no one may boast.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed at all.

Even I have spent time filling boxes and bags of food for distrbution at food banks. It's what people do. We didn't have cameras when we did it.
This is not a thread about the Bush family; it's about the Obama family. There seem to be plenty of people out doing these things in front of cameras. The paparazzi seem to follow political families around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleespresso View Post
Do you know what school Obama is sending his daughters to? Hint: It's not "public education" that's for sure.

Don't be so naive, falling for a photo op. How is this any different from Bush serving up BBQ?
In a way, it doesn't matter why he is doing it, if he's doing it. "The Lord works in mysterious ways".

Old 11-27-2008, 02:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
When you spend the day helping serve, your doing a good deed. when you spend thirty minutes, as the BO family did, it's photo op....

Old 11-27-2008, 02:40 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
When you spend the day helping serve, your doing a good deed. when you spend thirty minutes, as the BO family did, it's photo op....

It doesnt matter what they do, people like you will say something bad. Last week it was they didnt go to church that week so are 'bad' because they should be setting a good example and be there for 'show'. Now they actually go out and help people and do good things and youre complaining it's for show. You people amaze me.

They have 2 small children who they are trying to raise right. When I was a child my family took me on the holidays to do the same types of things. I do not see how the Obamas being involved in their community and helping people is any different at all. Ya'll should be ashamed of judging others so harshly. Obamas mother raised him in the same type of way, it was her lifes work to help those in need. Kudo's to the Obamas for helping people and being hands on, while teaching their kids what the holidays are really about, instead of sitting in their own little world like so many do.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:08 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,444 times
[MOD CUT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I worked a soup kitchen today but you don't hear me saying that I did it (before Obama did) and have the media there.

You do because it's right and keep it quiet, not because it will make good PR.
I was down at the local charity kitchen today and the local news showed up to a do a story about people helping others, and the spirit of the holiday. It's called news because it helps kids and people see good during the holidays.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-28-2008 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-27-2008, 03:55 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,916,538 times
As pointed out already, the Obama's have been helping at the food bank for a few years now. If anyone bothered to look at the video's, the longest one is 'home made' not from the 'media'. Obama answered questions for one television station for less than a minute. It's obvious that the television station showed up late. Someone probably called them to let them know what was going on. If this was a 'photo op' there would have been more than that one station there and they would have been there when the Obama's arrived.

Instead of putting down the Obama's, why don't you check the yellow pages and call a program tomorrow offering your services as a volunteer. In my community there are so may volunteers at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, many of the volunteers only have to be there an hour or two before someone else relieves them. Our church has also had to turn away volunteers because there were so many who wanted to help. Before you put fingers to key pad, check out the facts before you make yourself look like a loser who doesn't give a rat's behind about anyone or anything but yourself.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,916,538 times
The Obama's volunteered their time to help those in need so this would be a better Thanksgiving than the rest of the year. The people of the community are grateful. Hopefully, this will encourage other people to give of their time as well.

Check your cupboards, there are things there you can donate to your community food banks that help the needy year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections