Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
I'm not suggesting that my son is working on this...because he's not.
Hmm!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
The PARENTS must be naturalized for the child to be a NBC.
That is NOT what the constitution says. It says anyone who was born in the US is a natural-born citizen.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do not need to talk to me like I am four years old, Kootr. Just HOW do you know that these other four presidents' parents were US citizens at the time of their births? I know the constitution requires a natural born citizen. It just doesn't really define what that is, other than someone BORN IN THE USA!
Katiana - I have been most civil in my responses to everyone here when I have been bombarded by uncivil remarks from many people, including you. I did not mean to come across talking to you like you were a four year old. If you think I did - I apologize.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That is NOT what the constitution says. It says anyone who was born in the US is a natural-born citizen.
No...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Apology accepted. And yes, you have not resorted to personal attacks.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted. And yes, you have not resorted to personal attacks.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Constitutional Topic: Citizenship - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The 14th Amendment defines citizenship this way: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

List follows. Nowhere is the birth place, or nationality of the person's parents mentioned.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
From Index Page - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

Anyone born inside the United States
Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.

Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President. These provisions allow the children of military families to be considered natural-born, for example.

Let me repeat that:

Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Constitutional Topic: Citizenship - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The 14th Amendment defines citizenship this way: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

List follows. Nowhere is the birth place, or nationality of the person's parents mentioned.
Yes, they are "citizens of the United States", but they are NOT necessarily given Natural Born Citizen status, which is a requirement for the POTUS.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Kootr, Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do when the Supreme Court either kicks this case or rules that Obama IS eligible to be president? Are you going to finally accept the truth or are you going to continue tilting at windmills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections